Guitar Processors tracking

Author
Guitarman1
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
2010/11/20 22:03:51 (permalink)

Guitar Processors tracking

Not really a Sonar Question, but since many here use guitar processors, maybe someone would know. I have the GT-10, but I have noticed this on other proccesors I have owned too. If a patch is a stereo patch, logically speaking, I should be able to put the left out to one track and the right out to another track and get the sound I hear when I am playing it.

But, that is the problem, the recorded part does not have the same tone or bite with what I hear while recording. this has always frustrated me.

Just tried it with the GT-10, and same results, but.. on a whim, I set one track to a stereo in, and the recorded sound is real close to what I hear while playing.

Why is that?   One would think if you have the left out going to a track, and the right out going to the track, it would be same sound. And, no I am not panning at all in Sonar. It sort of sounds like some of the guitar processor effects, such as speaker, or something is missing.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this happen too?

I know now just to use a stereo track, but my inquiring mind wants to know.

21 Replies Related Threads

stokedboss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/20 22:58:29 (permalink)
    If you record the left and right tracks to seperate tracks, wouldn't you have to hard pan them left and right to get the desired effect? Sonar would otherwise be paning the left and right tracks center, therefore defeating your stereo field. When I use my PODxt to record within Sonar I always use a stereo track and I have never had any problems.

Sonar X2a PE, Win 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7 3770k, 8Gb Corsair XMS3 RAM, Asus P8Z77 Lk Roland Octa-Capture.
    Guitarman1
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 10:20:01 (permalink)
    Hey stoked... yes.. I did try that.. but it is like the patch is missing something when I record on two separate mono tracks. It just is bugging me, why it don't sound the same as when I am recording. I would like to have full control over each track, instead of using a stereo track... logically speaking one would think it would be the same, but I am thinking by doing the mono two tracks, something is not being sent from the processor, which does not make sense to me.
    stokedboss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 10:38:07 (permalink)
    That's odd, sorry but I don't have anymore idea's for you. Hopefully someone else will.

Sonar X2a PE, Win 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7 3770k, 8Gb Corsair XMS3 RAM, Asus P8Z77 Lk Roland Octa-Capture.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 11:50:30 (permalink)

It just is bugging me, why it don't sound the same as when I am recording.

Try this:

1. Create a stereo track along with the two left/right mono tracks, and invert the phase of the stereo track.
    2. Set the outpu level of the two mono tracks 3dB lower than the stereo track and pan them hard left and right, respectively.
    3. Enable input monitoring and play your guitar.

Your Master bus should show no output level because the two mono tracks should perfectly cancel the inverted stereo track. Any difference you heard wa sprobalby due to the level difference between two mono tracks and one stereo.

Because of the level issues and other reasons, you might want to use a stereo track with the Channel Tools plugin instead of separate mono tracks.

post edited by brundlefly - 2010/11/21 12:00:20
    Guitarman1
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 11:59:32 (permalink)
    hey brundlefly.. the difference I am hearing is really hard to explain, but let me try.

Using two mono tracks, one going to left output, and one going to right output, what I hear from the recorded guitar is ummm. .dead sounding.. no life in it. Hard to explain.

But using a stereo track, the life is back, and it sounds almost dead on to what I hear while I am recording.

Only thing I can think of to sort of describe it, the two mono tracks seem to be missing the entire patch, like maybe the eq of the patch, or the amp part of the patch...

But in the stereo track, it is all there... it is strange I admit... I have had this with other guitar processors too. Such as the gnx3, and the V-Amp Pro. It has always frustrated me to no end that what I hear when I am recording is not what I hear after recording... At least now I know with this unit, that if I use a stereo track, it is real close...

I just have an inquistive mind and trying to figure out why there would be a difference.
    brundlefly
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 12:01:22 (permalink)
    just have an inquistive mind and trying to figure out why there would be a difference.

Do the test I described. If they cancel, the difference is imaginary.
    PH68
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 12:12:51 (permalink)
    What are you listening to the GT10 through when you play and/or write patches.
    Is it the same speaker system as going direct into Sonar.
    If they're not, it will make a big difference.

I play & listen to my guitar through the same speakers that I use when recording on Sonar.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 12:40:21 (permalink)
    Ditto what PH68 is saying. If you are monitoring at the wrong place you will not hear what is being recorded correctly.
    Other possibility
     Output jacks are assignable within the unit and have been altered to Left-dry right- wet
    With a "insert" cable you could record from the headphone output if that's the sound you prefer and cannot get it from the stereo outputs.
    Inset cables are tip/ring/sleeve to a Y pair of  tip/ring ( left -right ) jacks.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/11/21 12:43:45
    Guitarman1
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 12:48:32 (permalink)
    same sound card, same speakers.. and same headphone too... but thanx

Am gonna try what brundlefly said to do, but I don't think that is it... am also gonna post a short file for you all to hear the difference...
    post edited by Guitarman1 - 2010/11/21 12:54:01
    Guitarman1
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/21 13:23:03 (permalink)
    ok.. here is the link for the test... first part of mp3 is the two mono tracks, panned hard left and right  then the 2nd part of the mp3, is the stereo track... to me the stereo track has more tone where as the mono tracks are basseier.. if that makes sense... volumes are the same... no eq or anything on the tracks..

(p.s. this is only a test, disregard the playing)

http://www.alanstewart.us/bosstest.mp3
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/22 09:34:56 (permalink)
    You're definitely getting a bit more stereo separation in the stereo track, that's for sure. However, the core of the tone seems almost the same other than a bit more bass rumble in the stereo track. I like the distortion sound in mono better than the sound in stereo....but I like the little bit more spread you get out of the stereo track.

I have no idea how or why this is happening. You're gonna make me try it and see if the same thing happens on my end. I've never noticed it though. I could be completely wrong about this G-man, but give it a shot just to make sure. In options/audio/general tab...set your pan law to the last one on the list 0db, center balance control. Listen to what you have and see if there is any difference. If not, try recording them one more time.

If there is still no difference, set the mono tracks interleave button to "stereo" on each one and just see if it makes any difference for you. Something is definitely happening to your stereo spread in the 2 mono guitars. Try that and just see if it makes any difference at all.

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    brundlefly
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/22 14:31:16 (permalink)
    to me the stereo track has more tone where as the mono tracks are basseier.

Without trying to characterize the difference, I'll say the two do sound slightly different, but it's hard to tell what's going on given that they are two different performances. This is why I suggested monitoring/recording the stereo track and the two mono tracks at the same time.

Also, along the lines of what Danny suggested, I found that if you set your Pan Law to one of the -3dB Center options, you should get absolutely perfect digital nulling with the Stereo track inverted against the mono tracks, whereas it's hard to get that doing the manual attenuation of the mono tracks because SONAR doesn't give you fine enough control of the faders to get exactly the right attenuation setting for the mono tracks.

With manual level-setting, about the best cancellation I could dial in was maybe 50dB off the nominal level of the stereo track alone, whereas using a -3dB pan law, I can get digital 0 with BitMeter on the Master bus.

Guitarman1
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/22 19:35:14 (permalink)
    hey danny and brundlefly.. thanx ... gives me something to think about... I will try both of your suggestions out and see if either one works for me.. again.. thanx for the help
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/22 20:04:38 (permalink)
    I only record mono guitar tracks. To me, there's no point in recording them stereo. If you want to make it stereo it's easy enough. I like to record one side then record the other. I think it just sounds better that way. Less of a  perfect match.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    johnnyV
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/22 20:31:02 (permalink)
    I do that too. Play exactly the same thing back to back, same amp etc and pan them hard. Very good wall of sound for fat distortion. The tiny imperfections make it interesting to listen to. I also use this technique for acoustic tracks.
    I did a solo in a song that has this they start the same then wander off. The MP3 loose a lot of stereo image

http://oeo.la/D88UlC

http://oeo.la/D8HHwC
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/23 06:16:14 (permalink)
    Guitarpima

I only record mono guitar tracks. To me, there's no point in recording them stereo. If you want to make it stereo it's easy enough. I like to record one side then record the other. I think it just sounds better that way. Less of a  perfect match.

Actually, some guys like the sound of their processor and the effects inside it. This is when you'd want to record a stereo track. For example, in my Van Halen cover band recordings I'm working on right now, there isn't a single efx plug that I own that can cop the flange and phaser sound Eddie uses. So I'm literally recording them destructively using my processors and allowing Sonar to trigger and control them via midi in real time. But other than when you absolutely need to run the effects off your processor in stereo, or for a hardware synth that you absolutely love, those are the only times I'll run a stereo track. All other times, I record one mono at a time and pan accordingly....or record one track mono and throw a HAAS delay on the track for quick experimentation.

My Site
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/23 07:47:42 (permalink)
    G-man, incidentally, I just did this test a few mins ago and I hear absolutely no difference in my guitars using a stereo track or 2 mono's at once. I made sure I used a heavily chorused sound on my guitars so the spread would be a bit more apparent. There is absolutely no difference on my end and I use the last pan law in the menu that I told you about. I even checked my stereo field using a phase scope and both are identical. Not sure what the problem could be on your end bro...sorry I can't be more helpful.

My Site
    brundlefly
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/23 10:21:41 (permalink)
    There is absolutely no difference on my end and I use the last pan law in the menu that I told you about. I even checked my stereo field using a phase scope and both are identical. Not sure what the problem could be on your end bro...sorry I can't be more helpful.

I consider that very helpful, because it confirms that there should be no difference (other than levels, depending on the Pan Law) as the OP expected, and he needs to look for the difference in his setup.

In his original post he wrote "And, no I am not panning at all in Sonar." Later he wrote that he "tried that" when advised he needed to pan the mono tracks hard left and right, but implied that it didn't make much difference. Panning the two mono tracks left and right is absolutely critical to reproducing the channel separation of a stereo track, so if that didn't make a huge difference, something's wrong.

In any case, I still think a stereo track with Channel Tools on it is ultimately the way to go for maximum simplicity with full control of the stereo image.

Danny Danzi
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/23 10:47:14 (permalink)
    brundle, don't you find it strange though that he would have to use Channel Tools to get what you or I would get without it? From listening to his examples, that's gotta be at least a 20-30% difference in spread, wouldn't ya say? This is really strange...I wonder what could cause that? I didn't try multiple pan laws in my test, just the one I always use. I guess I should have given that a shot just to rule it out, but I didn't think that would make much of a difference other than volume, right? This definitely has me stumped.

My Site
    johnnyV
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/23 10:57:08 (permalink)
    I agree with Danny, Seems any stereo recording uses a simple straightforward set up.
     Input left to track A,
     Input  right to track B,
     Arm  and record the 2 mono tracks that are  panned hard left and right  with the little green sliders,
    Done. I've always used what ever it is that Sonar defaults to as far as pan law goes.
    brundlefly
    Re:Guitar Processors tracking 2010/11/23 11:18:46 (permalink)
    brundle, don't you find it strange though that he would have to use Channel Tools to get what you or I would get without it?

I only suggested Channel Tools because he said he wanted more independent control of the channels than you get with a basic stereo track. It's simpler and more powerful than recording separate left and right mono tracks, and he is saying he prefers the stereo track sound (for whatever reason), so it's a win, win.

But , yes, it would be nice to know why he can't get the same result with hard panning of mono tracks and the correct pan law. I confirmed that with the stereo track pan centered, the two -3dB Center laws and the 0dB Balance Control laws all give perfect cancellation with the hard-panned mono tracks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1