Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
2009/04/02 16:28:00 (permalink)

Guitar and air travel

This is a first for me so....

I'll be traveling to Scotland from the USA non-stop flight. I want to bring my Taylor acoustic as I'll be doing a few recording sessions and am comfortble with my own guitar. It has a nice hard-shell case and is pretty road-worthy. ( (I'm 6'1 / 200lbs and can stand on it) They will not allow me to bring it onboard as carry-on luggage, so it'll have to be loaded on with the normal baggage. You're not allowed to put locks on any luggage anymore (in case they need to search). Is my guitar safe? I worry about some of those baggage handlers that 'help themselves' to items.

Any thoughts, tips, etc?? Has anyone flown with their guitar before?? What are my options?? Thanks in advance.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".

32 Replies Related Threads

spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 17:42:20 (permalink)
    Make sure the string tension is off the guitar....let 'em flop.

And a great flight Larry.

Michael
    post edited by spacey - 2009/04/02 17:54:17
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 18:35:39 (permalink)
    We fly with video gear frequently... always try to carry on the camera. Pack so that you can drop it... they will.

It should be fine.

Have fun!

ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 19:07:42 (permalink)
    You're not allowed to put locks on any luggage anymore

But nothing says you can't duct tape over the latches - keep'em from being jostled open.

This is why I love my Steinberger, it's carry-on all the way........

Ric
    lhansen
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 19:49:32 (permalink)
    Thanks fellers!! I was hoping to bring it onboard, but, they won't let me. Thanks for the tips!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 20:18:51 (permalink)
    I remember 1 time I could bring it onboard but nowadays they don't seem to let you. tape up the case so they have to cut it to open it, then when it comes thru baggage you'll know straight away whether it's been tampered with. when did they say you can't lock your luggage? my wife just flew to Argentina and back from Australia and she had her suitcase padlocked the whole time. throw one on and see if you can get away with it, what's the worst they'll do? I know I'd give it a go if any of my gats were that expensive.

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 20:52:55 (permalink)
    Wow, my post disappeared...???

I had said you could buy special locks for your luggage that are allowed on planes (security personnel have master keys that open all of them). You can buy them at places like Target.

Weird how that post vanished though...
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 21:08:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

Thanks fellers!! I was hoping to bring it onboard, but, they won't let me. Thanks for the tips!!

So how come that nun on Airplane got to play hers.

D'ya mean that movie wasn't true?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    lhansen
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 21:10:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Texrat

Wow, my post disappeared...???

I had said you could buy special locks for your luggage that are allowed on planes (security personnel have master keys that open all of them). You can buy them at places like Target.

My only problem Warren is there's no place to place those locks on my guitar case.. This happens to be my best guitar, so if something happens, I'm up the creek without a paddle... I'm looking into renting one when I get over there. Shouldn't be a problem.

Slow Marching Band

lhansen
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 21:12:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: i8ipop

I remember 1 time I could bring it onboard but nowadays they don't seem to let you. tape up the case so they have to cut it to open it, then when it comes thru baggage you'll know straight away whether it's been tampered with. when did they say you can't lock your luggage? my wife just flew to Argentina and back from Australia and she had her suitcase padlocked the whole time. throw one on and see if you can get away with it, what's the worst they'll do? I know I'd give it a go if any of my gats were that expensive.

Sean - In the US they won't allow locks on luggage simply because they do those 'spot checks' on yer baggage from time to time.Security made me take 'em off my bags one time.

Slow Marching Band

lhansen
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 21:16:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

ORIGINAL: lhansen

So how come that nun on Airplane got to play hers.

D'ya mean that movie wasn't true?

Jon, Don't listen to those people!! That movie was based on pure fact man!! Why the nun? Well she's a nun! That's why! You have no right questioning the Church!!! Why if this were the 13th century you'd be flogged and thrown into the Tower until you recanted!! Shame! Shame!

Slow Marching Band

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 21:20:47 (permalink)

It's in the other thread - he posted it in 2 subforums.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 21:22:15 (permalink)
    I did? Oops.

Anyway, Larry, you can use those locks.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 22:20:27 (permalink)
    Yes, loosen the strings, put in a humidifier, and good luck.

If you are concerned about baggage theft, there is really nothing you can do except insure the instrument. Most airlines will sell you a one-time insurance policy to cover the flight--otherwise you are limited to a very small amount if the bag is lost or damaged on an international flight especially. The airline insurance is expensive relative to the risk, but easier to make a claim on than general policies that insure instruments. If you are a professional, you are likely not covered under your renters or homeowners policy for personal items loss.
    MemphisJo
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 23:16:27 (permalink)
    1) It is a myth that you have to loosen the strings. Perhaps lower them by a tone might not be a bad idea but that's about it. If the guitar was to expand or contract that much it would come out of the case in pieces! Where exactly are the cavities that would cause departure elevation air pressure to get trapped inside and cause the strings to change tension that much? The pressure in the hold is the same as in the cabin (about 6 - 8 thousand feet equivalent (VERY rare to have an unpressurized hold these days).

2) You can use TSA approved locks on any baggage but it can still be opened and inspected.

3) If the guitar is that valuable to you it should be insured.

4) If it is going in the hold it would be an idea to have it in a 'case inside a case' the outer case being of the 'flight case' style (made by a good manufacturer - and of course this will be heavy and expensive too). Anything other and you are foolish risking it. Taylor factory cases are good but not designed for traveling in the hold of an aircraft.

5) There is a great guitar store in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow called Guitar Guitar, they might rent you a Taylor or have something else you like for not too much money with no risk getting your cherished possession damaged or stolen. (Of course it could get stolen from your home while you are away too)!!

post edited by MemphisJo - 2009/04/02 23:35:17

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 23:29:09 (permalink)
    Larry, I wouldn't be as worried about theft as it getting broken. Have you seen the way they throw luggage around? We've carried guitars and keyboards across the ocean a few times and usually something happened to them. :-( The one good time we had, one of the nice check-in ladies looked at my son and his guitar and, as we begged her to let him carry it on, she said, 'Well, you can't separate the man and his music!' and let him take it on. But that's really, really rare, especially these days. Unless, like Jo said above, you have it in TWO cases. But even then--I'd be a bit worried myself.
    MemphisJo
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/02 23:42:27 (permalink)
    This would be the very minimum protection for my own gear: http://www.prostagegear.com/guitarcases.aspx

it's almost 300 bucks at AMS / MF etc.

However, I still would not put my Taylor in the hold in it.

This thread just reminded me to give some thought as to how I am going to get my Shergold back to the US from the UK. It's a solid body electric (not so fragile) and not so valuable. Looks like shipping it will be the best bet. Last time I was able to take it on board but that was years ago before 911 and the new recent policies on excess baggage.

Would be interesting to call Taylor and see how they ship their stuff overseas.

Good luck.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 08:27:25 (permalink)
    Be wary.
    A few years ago, I took my Telecaster on a flight. When I picked it up from the claim area, there was a huge triangular hole broken through the top of the hardshell case. Luckily it missed the guitar by less than an inch. It looked like it had been stabbed by a forklift.
    When I complained, the airline (Air Canada) pointed out that the form I signed said that damage wasn't compensated, just loss.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 09:04:33 (permalink)
    Larry I've learned something different about the tension issue.
    I thought taking the tension off made it somewhat harder for the head to snap off when the case took a blow from being chunked. Grain is usually favorable for a head to snap from a blow.
    http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Musician/GenMaint/Packing/packing1.html

This guy recommends lower the tension some but keep some tension...as you can read. Pretty good info in article.

Martin did replace my friends guitar due to the wood grain issue at headstock. He had it only a few weeks when it snapped.
    He had leaned it against the wall, it slid down and snapped when it hit the floor. He called me to check it out. I was really surprised it snapped. You know that's a slow slide and to a carpeted floor...but the grain was issue. Didn't take much and Martin agreed.
    post edited by spacey - 2009/04/03 09:19:00
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 09:33:42 (permalink)
    Larry, try to carry it on. When you get rejected right before take off it gets placed in the luggage compartment last on top of everything else, it makes a shorter trip to the plane - just a few feet actually and is handled by only one person. This way you've won half the battle. I'm not an expert as I've only done this once but that is what I experienced when I traveled with my guitar.

I'd put fragile stickers on it also, might help and couldn't hurt. And, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll let you take it on board.

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 09:36:27 (permalink)
    Larry, I've flown a couple of times with my LP, and was actually rather impressed with the treatment the airlines gave my guitar. Of course, they will want to look in the case before you lock it to make sure it isn't incendiary. When I took it to Michigan they didn't send it down the chute with general luggage; they took it to their office to make sure it didn't get bumped around too much. My venerable instrument got the treatment I thought it deserved.

Incidentally, I'm envious as can be. I'd love to go to Scotland, and jam with James. What a gas!

And added note: I'm under the impression that it is better to ship the guitar with the tension on the strings to keep the neck straight
    post edited by mcourter - 2009/04/03 09:37:49

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 13:05:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MemphisJo
    3) If the guitar is that valuable to you it should be insured.

Or... a few years back my wife was on a commuter flight NY to Boston, who was sitting in the seat next to her... why it's Yo Yo Ma's cello. Is your guitar worth more than a round trip ticket to Scotland?
    lhansen
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 13:22:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MemphisJo

15) There is a great guitar store in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow called Guitar Guitar, they might rent you a Taylor or have something else you like for not too much money with no risk getting your cherished possession damaged or stolen. (Of course it could get stolen from your home while you are away too)!!

MJ - That looks like the route I'm going to take. Thanks! I called the airline yesterday and they do not offer insurance for any musical instrument and cannot guarentee any loss due to theft or damage. I don't want to be flying over there and worry at the same time. It's the only decent guitar I own and after giving it some thought, don't want to take the chance of losing it. It's bad enough that I go thru 'withdrawal' when I don't pick up my axe and play within a 24 hr. period....

Slow Marching Band

lhansen
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 13:24:06 (permalink)
    Many thanks to everyone for the help/tips/ warnings regarding this. I wanted to gather as much info as I could before making a decision. Appreciated gents!!

Slow Marching Band

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 13:55:37 (permalink)
    Probably the best call you could have made. Enjoy yourself!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 13:57:55 (permalink)
    I was given a tip recently and that was to ask for the Item to be stored in a separate container with the Crew Luggage. It get's preferential treatment, it's loaded on last and off first and carefully. I got a Huge Fragile Expensive box (Max weight but way bigger than normally allowed) but I asked in advance and was told as long as the weight was OK, I was fine. It also got sent through a different conveyor belt as well. It arrived in once piece even after changing planes in Dubai and came out before I got to the carousel on the last leg of the flight.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 14:46:35 (permalink)
    Have you seen the way they throw luggage around?

In 1979, I flew from Burbank to San Jose and took my Alembic Series I bass. I of course loosend the strings.

As I'm sitting on the plane looking out the side window at the luggae beinloaded I see my bass. The guy picks it up as HEAVES it. I groaned.

Fortunately, nothing happened to it (guess it landed on softer luggage). I still have that bass.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/03 15:40:22 (permalink)
    Man... I was setting in Atlanta one day waiting on my flight...and was watching the baggage handlers load a plane. I saw this idiot pick up a guitar case and throw it like he had done to all the other luggage...onto the conveyor and into the plane. I was dumbfounded.... this guy threw that guitar about 5 feet in the air ...or so....

I would not check my guitar. Maybe other handlers are not so rough.... if you do...pack it well, loosen the strings, and use a TSA approved lock.....one that lets you know they been in it. They're supposed to put a flyer in there to let you know they searched it.

I have spoken with other travelers in airports carrying guitars..... most say the flight attendants will take the guitar and place it in a safe place inside the cabin during flight.

The other option...although expensive...is buy a ticket for another seat and strap it in beside you.

Last time I went to Argentina, I asked my friends down there to hook me up with a guitar...and they did.... but I also understand your reasons for carrying your own with you.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/04 17:49:44 (permalink)
    If I had to travel with one of my more expensive guitars, I would definately loosen the strings. Head stock breakage is real when a guitar gets shocked and has the strings under tension. My Ibanez electric fell over while leaning against the wall and the head stock broke off. I was able to repair it. My Les Paul was purchased with broken head stock from a previous owner who knocked over the case with the guitar in it, strings under tension. Head stock broke off. I was able to repair it too.

If I had to travel regularly with a guitar, I would use a less expensive one so if it broke or got lost, no biggee.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    RE: Guitar and air travel 2009/04/04 18:06:53 (permalink)
    Yeah, I still see people carrying guitar cases in the airport.
    Even sat down and talked and played with a guy at the Philly airport who was practicing on his classical guitar.
    I'd check into taking it into the cabin.

Otherwise it'd be a good idea to check into a tough case. (Does Anvil still make cases?)
    Like others have said, I was watching the baggage handlers tossing bags into a cart on arrival. A box wrapped in tape that said FRAGILE FRAGILE FRAGILE came down the conveyor. I wished I'd had a video camera because I knew it was coming... the handler tossed the Fragile box just like he had everything else.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1