Guitar and brass?

Author
wsiii
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2006/10/18 20:52:59 (permalink)

Guitar and brass?

Are these inherently difficult to sample? Some of the brass samples (particularly trumpet) sound pretty good (tho not across the entire range). Almost all of the acoustic guitar sound pianistic especially in the middle registers. Just curious...

Best regards,
WB

9 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/18 23:22:00 (permalink)
    Sequencing guitar realisticaly can be tricky. Even with rough around the edges sample sets I make myself. It can be done but your triggering a stringed instrument on a keyboard I assume This tends to leave it's imprint if you know what I mean. A guitars limitations make the sound real. If you play you know what I mean. If not then the long winded explanation would be lost. Try mixing up mutes with regular notes for cords, watch your sustains carefully. Notes are looped and this allows the higer notes to sustain to long. Remember the notes are a fith apart except for the B string so close note groups with no repetes sound very piano like. Mixing up/down strums helps.
    wsiii
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/18 23:41:24 (permalink)
    If you play you know what I mean.

Guitar's my main instrument. I was trying to understand why a 1 octave c scale (without mutes, bends, glissando, sustain, etc) played on a keyboard sounds like a harpsichord to me. I've heard that brass and stringed instrument harmonics are very difficult to synthesize, but the strings in Dim Pro are very realistic. They're sampled and sound like it. Actually they're great! I would think that strings would have the same limitations as guitar but they don't seem to. Still curious.
    post edited by wsiii - 2006/10/18 23:58:52

Best regards,
    WB
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/19 00:10:00 (permalink)
    Guitars are difficult to sample, but the sample sets will always sound like a piano if you play them that way. In order to sequence guitar you have to really be careful how you play the intervals of the chord. Then there's the issue of getting the strum.
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/19 08:58:21 (permalink)
    More than the inherent complexity of sampling a particular instrument, the reason why most sampled instrument sound artificial are related to the nature of samples and sampling itself.

When you pluck a guitar string, the sound it emmits depends on several physical aspects, such as the dynamics of the activation (angle of pick, strength, time of pick/string contact, guitar movement, etc.), and the previous status. Just as an example, the first time you pluck the string it comes from being idle (no vibration), but if you pluck it again it starts from a previous vibrating condition. Therefore, the sound of both picks is different. If you repeat those plucks at two different time intervals, you get another pair of different sounds. Basically, you never get two notes identically sounding out of a guitar.

When you play a key in your keyboard, you trigger a sample, which is a snapshot of a single pick. It's always the same sample playing. There are a few tricks which are used to minimize the 'machine gun' effect that you hear when you play, such as alternation (playing different samples at each note event, which is in use in a couple of guitars in DP).

How you play the sound is also a huge factor. As previously said, make a keyboard chord with an oboe sound and it'll sound keyboardish.

-René
    wsiii
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/19 17:20:35 (permalink)
    never get two notes identically sounding out of a guitar.

Thanks for the reponse - Love Dimension Pro and Rapture.

The strings in DP are great!

Best regards,
    WB
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/20 04:40:38 (permalink)
    I think what makes an instrument is that it is an instrument of expression, or it would not have been an instrument at all. To think that you can take a snapshot of a single expression and duplicate that and create art is a mistake.

So what we are missing is the artistic feel of sampled stuff. You can make pretty good sounding stuff for demo, but rarely anything called art. It's getting better and better as new generations of technology develop, but we are still neaderthal level I think. To make top-list productions works ok, I think, but it should not be confused with art.
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/20 14:06:06 (permalink)
    To true lfm. But each instrument has it's limitations. The artist works within those limitations. Within those limits you get creative to press the boundaries. This has always been the case weather your playing a "real" instrument or a synthisized one. Each has it's limits. It's a challenge to overcome those limits with imagination but fun none the less. I both play and sequence. And enjoy the challenge of both.
    hessgar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/26 22:30:13 (permalink)
    As a guitarist I have never been that amazed by synthesized guitar sounds until Dimension. The sounds always sounded sterile and dry therefore I had to add a lot of chorus, eq and reverb but Dimension changed that. A real hidden strength of DP is the piano string resonance model. My personal favorite SFZ acoustic guitar secret (not very secret anymore) is to use the piano string resonance model with guitars. To do this start by edit your favorite guitar .SFZ file to include the piano string resonance model from one of the piano models (like Grand Piano 3v 4th sim.sfz). Note that one could reduce the number of strings if throughput is an issue. The piano string resonance model is listed at the bottom of the SFZ under effect. For ease of use I included it here.

<effect>
    type=strings
    strings_number=36
    strings_wet_oncc1=100

Save this new guitar SFZ under a new name. Note that when this SFZ is now included into your favorite acoustic guitar patch the mod wheel now will control the sympathetic string resonances therefore be sure to check the midi matrix if mod wheel is assigned to vibrato or filter cutoff and then reassign other effects away from the mod wheel.

To sample this effect take a good fingerpicking acoustic guitar track and disable all delays, chorus and reverb to obtain a very dry guitar sound. A simplistic example in Project 5 would be to set the arpeggiator to an acoustic guitar fingerpcking pattern 10 (AccGT 10) and play the lowest sounding E note. Then vary the mod wheel to add these resonances and the guitar will seem to get fuller sounding.

Finally note that this trick with piano the string resonance model can be used for other sounds.

I also agree that to properly sequence guitar tracks one needs to have detailed knowledge of guitar technique like keeping track of which strings to keep sustaining, arpeggio and strumming timing and velocities. I have learned alot about my guitar technique by sequencing some of my fingerstyle guitar arrangements.

Sorry for being so wordy for my first posting but this is a topic near and dear to my heart.
    Melvin J.
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Guitar and brass? 2006/10/26 23:34:17 (permalink)
    HEy, that's some really great insight Hessgar. I'll try out that string resonance trick sometime, thanks a lot.

Mel
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1