Helpful ReplyGuitar effects

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2017/07/22 21:20:19 (permalink)

Guitar effects

Hey guys.  So lets say you have your guitar plugged into your amp as normal. And lets say you have some effects pedals such as overdrive delay chorus etc.  You can hear their sounds as you play.     OK...say you didnt have any effects pedals but you noticed that you have VST plug ins such as phaser, delay , reverb.      So .... instead of plugging the guitar into the amp as normal, you plug the guitar directly into your audio device (in my case an M Audio).   Now , can you play the guitar and also listen to the plug ins in real time?
Normally you would record a track and add in reverb etc later.    But could you play the guitar and hear an amp sim, reverb, phaser while you play?        Hope my question is making sense guys...thanks.    Xave

Southern kin y'all 
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 21:23:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/07/22 21:24:21
Yes. As long as you can lower your buffer enough there isn't significant and distracting delay
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 21:25:33 (permalink)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K7JSzvg4T8

This shows using a midi foot controller to have stomp boxes and expression pedals.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Agentcalm
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 21:37:26 (permalink)
hmm... sorry guys im not getting it.   My fault...Im not asking the question the right way.   Start again.

Plug your guitar directly into your audio device , play and record.  You now have a track with a clean guitar.  Now add in some plug in effects such as chorus.
Now... start again.   Plug in your guitar directly to the audio device.   Insert a chorus plug in into the track.
Can you now play the guitar and hear the chorus effect as you play?  

Southern kin y'all 
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 21:38:58 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
Yes. As long as you can lower your buffer enough there isn't significant and distracting delay

You may have to freeze existing tracks if you have lots other FX active on other tracks to keep latency low.
Also select input echo, to right of record to hear the FX applied to your guitar. 

Cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 22:12:02 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Now... start again.   Plug in your guitar directly to the audio device.   Insert a chorus plug in into the track.

Absolutely. 

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

davidt64
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 23:04:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/07/23 14:29:00
Make sure you turn on input echo on the track.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/22 23:46:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/07/23 19:20:04
Agentcalm

Plug in your guitar directly to the audio device.   Insert a chorus plug in into the track.

Here's a Cakewalk vid showing what you want 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNRMBkYOz-I 
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Agentcalm
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 12:28:28 (permalink)
Thanks guys..    Some good tips there.   This will save me buying guitar pedals only to find I'm not gone on their.   I'll download some plug ins first such as amp sims, reverb etc.  
Thanks again all :) 

Southern kin y'all 
JohnEgan
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 12:49:06 (permalink)
Agentcalm
I'll download some plug ins first such as amp sims, reverb etc.  

Not sure what version of Sonar you have, but you may have a number of existing FX-chains and amp sims you could work with already.

Cheers 

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 13:54:35 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Thanks guys..    Some good tips there.   This will save me buying guitar pedals only to find I'm not gone on their.   I'll download some plug ins first such as amp sims, reverb etc.  
Thanks again all :) 

You didn't mention which version of Sonar you are using ?
Not that it matters that much but better versions come with better plug ins.
Digital audio recording is very similar to the old school way of doing it (well almost).
You record a dry track and use FX during the mixing stages. In most cases now a day, most home studio users are recording dry DI/line level guitar in to an amp sim and then adding FX later.
Where as 10 years ago, almost all tracks were recorded with distortion, through an amplifier and then adding FX later in the mixing stages.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 14:36:44 (permalink)
Be prepared to be a little disapointed by "emulations" of some guitar stuff. Fuzzes, overdrives, distortions and wahs/filters in particular. Many "emulations' aren't very close to what they are supposed to sound and respond like. Guitars are also a very touch-sensitive instrument and many emulations just aren't.

And be prepared to put much more work in to get a decent sound than you would have to with a "conventional" guitar setup.

Give it a try though, the emulators do seem to work OK for many people. My particular hangup with them being that I can set up a chain of stuff that's supposed to be accurate emulations of the hardware I'm used to and it doesn't come close. The Amplitube Mesa Boogies, a couple of their Fenders and Scuffham's amp emulations are the ones I've found to be the most natural in sound and feel.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Agentcalm
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 15:11:18 (permalink)
Thanks guys .  Im using a very basic X3 so if I dont have a lot of built in stuff I can upgrade to Artist or Pro.  Its not that expensive to upgrade and I think its only about 200 bucks.  So not bad at all.
Thanks TLW , I'll bear that in mind.   What I'd like to try is an emulation of things like Phaser or reverb and if I think it sounds ok I can then go buy a decent pedal of that type of effect.
Im hoping the plug ins will allow me to sort of take it on a test drive so to speak. 

Southern kin y'all 
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 15:16:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/07/24 14:03:01
The Amplitube package is great.  More versatile sounds than most of the other plug ins.  Revalver is good too and you can run VSTs from inside it.  That means my Sound Toys stuff is available, and it is excellent for delays, chorus, phasing....  And I like the TH 3 thing Sonar includes.  Guitar Rig sounds thin to me.  I had some Wave amp sim but never liked it.  Ditto on Vandal.  Never tried Studio Devil.  

I really love the Universal Audio amp sims, but you have to own a UA card or interface to run their plugins.  

One thing to think about... 6msec of latency is equivalent to standing about 6 feet from your amp.  You can shoot for lower latency, but I am not sure below 6 is buying you much.    

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 15:49:40 (permalink)
davidt64 got the right answer. Turn on input echo on the track and then put the effects you like on FX.
That's it.

JohnEgan
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 20:42:11 (permalink)
chuckebaby
You record a dry track and use FX during the mixing stages. In most cases now a day, most home studio users are recording dry DI/line level guitar in to an amp sim and then adding FX later.

Good to have dry guitars tracks to experiment with some FX and amp sims after recording, but when creating/improvising solo's, hooks, even some rhythms, you really need the FX applied, amp sound and volume levels while playing, as it affects the way you play and inspires some of the sounds that you create which you may not create playing/listening dry, and many sounds you can't easily reproduce later by simply adding FX, (say like expressions and feedback), I guess splitting the signal and recording both the dry and wet on separate tracks would be ideal. I do usually record direct, (not mic'd), from amp using MESA CabClone, and rarely monitor the electric guitar Im recording through the DAW/Amp Sims/FX, and studio monitors or headphones, although have done so to experiment with some of the FX chain presets sounds, not saying its a bad thing if you're getting sound you want without latency issues. If I do want to record/monitor dry electric plugged directly into audio interface or often with acoustic guitar I would be monitoring direct signal from audio interface mixer not going through DAW. 

Otherwise not sure if its feasible/safe to route guitar through AI/DAW/FX and out into a guitar amp to make use of DAW FX through a guitar amp? (I guess you'd need to convert line level back down to a mic/instrument level or the amp would need to have a line input available?).

Cheers     

John Egan

Thedoccal
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 21:01:41 (permalink)
The answer is yes.

But you can do even more.  Plug your guitar into your amp AND your computer's sound card at the same time.  Then you can play through your amp with all your favorite live effects and play with mojo, while recording the direct signal into a track in Sonar.  You can even record both, then try and match your amp sound with plugins on the computer.  It is a worthwhile exercise.  All you need is a Y cable for your guitar cable.  In addition, when you decide to buy Melodyne, you have a perfect direct, dry signal in one track to tidy up all that needs tidying.

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
Agentcalm
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/23 22:20:15 (permalink)
Hi John.   Just on the point you were making about the need to lay the guitar with the effects in real time rather than later.  Thats exactly what i want to do and for the reasons you mentioned.  Its pointless trying to play a solo on a clean guitar with the  aim of adding distortion later.  
By the way its working great so thanks to all fro the above suggestions.
Hi T   Thats a great idea of using the amps DI to go straight to the DAW.  I could mic the amp and use a DI at the same time.   Very cool.  
Space cowboy suggested Revalver and Amplitude so I'll go search for those and start playing around.   Up n runnin guys.  Thanks again. 

Southern kin y'all 
JohnEgan
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 12:01:11 (permalink)
Thedoccal
All you need is a Y cable for your guitar cable.  

Not sure, as I understand it a simple Y cable would also split the signal strength, and possibly cause impedance mismatch issues, usually its recommended to use a buffered signal splitter to maintain original signal strength and tone from guitar going to both the outputs. There may also be ground loop concerns to be wary of between the dry guitar signal and amp output signals both going into audio interface, not sure splitter prevents that possibility (in my case my CabClone has a ground float switch (and phase invert), which may help grounding issues. It would be a good experiment/exercise/challange to see how well an amp-sim through studio monitors or headphones could emulate a real tube amp, amp-sim may seem OK itself, but compared side to side, not sure  
Otherwise, I guess a 3rd track option could also be mic'ing the amplifier.

Cheers  

John Egan

JohnEgan
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 12:50:43 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Hi John.   Just on the point you were making about the need to lay the guitar with the effects in real time rather than later.  

Yea, we're on the same page there for sure, and glad you got it working. I would like to try to use some of the plug-in FX routed to my guitar amp, just to hear how they'd sound, also would be easier adjusting FX setting on screen rather than getting down on floor adjusting hardware pedals. (getting older its harder to get back up, LOL). Im thinking I could do it as an external send, as my go to amp also has external send and receive connections, another "to-do" item. Honestly though I haven't really even touched my hardware FX pedal board for years since I got a Mesa-Boogie amp, typically I can get the sound I want from it alone and its output is my dry track, (may also be cuz Im getting older to, LOL). But do often add extra or special FX's, in Sonar production, so splitting and recording a dry guitar signal track simultaneously is a good idea to have as a reference track, however not sure a simple Y cable splitter is best option.

Cheers  

John Egan

kennywtelejazz
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 13:03:39 (permalink)
This does not have to be so complicated folks 

If you already have SONAR , a guitar or two , an amp , some pedals and an assortment of plugs ..what else do you need ?
Why not have a little fun ?.Go make some music while you are trying to figure out a workflow that works best for you.

Not a shameless plug just an example of some stuff I do w my guitar while recording in the box  
Same Guitar on both clips , 2 different amp sims ...all done in the box using SONAR 
https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson/snarky-puppy-twanger-central-98
https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson/while-my-guitar-gently-speaks 

These clips might not sound like anything you may care to hear ....IMHO that is besides the point ..
For me to be happy while playing , I have to be able to feel and hear my tone as I'm playing it 

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

almeister
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 13:39:21 (permalink)
You could try Re-amping too, dry recorded signal out of DAW to amp, record back in with mic but you need a re-amp box for that,
https://www.sweetwater.co...CaDv6N-QRoCr-sQAvD_BwE

just another suggestion in case no one has put that out there yet
hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 13:54:35 (permalink)
almeister
You could try Re-amping too, dry recorded signal out of DAW to amp, record back in with mic but you need a re-amp box for that,

That always just seemed WAY to clunky to me. I never did see the advantage of it.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 14:04:57 (permalink)
space_cowboy
The Amplitube package is great.  More versatile sounds than most of the other plug ins.  Revalver is good too and you can run VSTs from inside it.  That means my Sound Toys stuff is available, and it is excellent for delays, chorus, phasing....  And I like the TH 3 thing Sonar includes.  Guitar Rig sounds thin to me.  I had some Wave amp sim but never liked it.  Ditto on Vandal.  Never tried Studio Devil.  

I really love the Universal Audio amp sims, but you have to own a UA card or interface to run their plugins.  

One thing to think about... 6msec of latency is equivalent to standing about 6 feet from your amp.  You can shoot for lower latency, but I am not sure below 6 is buying you much.    

Yes, AT4 is really good.  I find any RTL under 10ms to be perfectly fine for real-time monitoring guitar tracks.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

almeister
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 14:41:42 (permalink)
hockeyjx
almeister

That always just seemed WAY to clunky to me. I never did see the advantage of it.

To each his own bro, just offering OP another option.
I own a re-amp box
I also use AT4 and TH3 but re-amping is a valid and often used option to get real amp sound after recording  di. Or to try different sounds from different amps. 
Some people like it and will take the extra steps necessary....some won't. Apparently, you won't, thanks for your input.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 15:41:58 (permalink)
Reamping can sound great but only if you have amps worth recording and mics worth using.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/24 16:30:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hockeyjx 2017/07/24 16:42:43
Reamping is certainly the ticket for sure . I've done it a few times at the last apt I called home .
The new place where I'm at now ...no can do ...
Yeah got the right amps , 66 Fender Vibroluxe Reverb, Old Marshall and some other assorted tube amps of various vintages and pedigree ..
In a small untreated space like where I'm currently at I suppose I would have to build a portable Isolation box just to do it right ...
As far as amp sims go they are basically a form of reamping inside the box .  
Once the amp sims are not engaged you still have the original dry guitar signal  unless you exported your guitar track and brought it back into SONAR as a rendered track with your guitars signal chain embedded ....
Even then , if one was smart they would have kept the original dry track they used for the amp sim 
I have often wondered what would happen if I ever scraped up enough coin to rent a Properly Equipped Recording Studio with a large selections of mics . I would love to  bring in tracking sessions I have done at home into a studio while having the luxury of  using my own amps .....

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/25 16:14:59 (permalink)
FWIW I'm in the process of converting the TH2-based CA-X amps to TH3. Not sure when the updated versions will be finished, but they'll be available when they are.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
JohnEgan
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/25 16:24:03 (permalink)
Anderton
FWIW I'm in the process of converting the TH2-based CA-X amps to TH3. Not sure when the updated versions will be finished, but they'll be available when they are.

Excellent!

Cheers

John Egan

JohnEgan
Re: Guitar effects 2017/07/25 16:29:27 (permalink)
almeister

Great, Ill have get one or something similar, asumme the dry recorded signal, could actually be the live guitar plugged in to AI (with input echo on).

Cheers 

John Egan

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1