Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jwh
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 754
2010/10/18 15:54:18 (permalink)

Guitar sound Lacks Substance

Hi,
I have a problem with guitar sounds, no matter what I use, line 6, Guitar rig 4, The Boss effects on my V-20, although my signal is strong, and the audio signal looks good in the track, it still sounds a bit weak on play back and seems to lack substance,like it's almost in the background.
Whether the style is a chorused guitar sound,a slightly crunched rocky guitar sound,a bit of picked guitar, it still doesn't seem to sound right in the mix,and I end up having to record four or five tracks of the same guitar piece, to get any decent sound in the mix,anybody help me please!!! I just want a bit of substance to my guitar sounds, and not just a weak sound straight down the middle, if you know what I mean.

Thanks
John

i7/16GB RAM, Win 10 X 64, Sonar Platinum
Komplete Audio 6, HagstromF200P, Ibanez Talman, Fender Bass, Rokit 8 Monitors, Maschine MK2, TC Voicelive Touch, Spark LE  

http://www.reverbnation.com/thesubroom 
http://www.facebook.com/thesubroom   

47 Replies Related Threads

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 16:04:55 (permalink)
    It's hard to diagnose these things from a text description... do you have any way of posting an example on-line?
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 16:07:06 (permalink)
    Too much verb/effects?
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 16:20:21 (permalink)
    I think you would have better luck with the same post accompanied by an audio example in the "Songs" forum.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 16:43:00 (permalink)
    I can't imagine you can't get ballsy sounds from a Line 6 POD Farm or a POD pedal or even Gig Rig. You must be doing something wrong because I have trouble making the guitar track not stand out too much. I agree its hard to say what the problem is without hearing a sample. Keep in mind you do need to use EQ to make a hole in the frequency spectrum to keep other sounds from masking the guitar sound. What are you using as a soundcard?

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 17:00:15 (permalink)
    i know it sounds cliche...
    and i'm ok with that.

try micing a real amp, for real tone.

i've gone the pod route....
    and never found it satisfactory.
    tried the pod pro....
    same with virtual rigs, and plug-ins.....

i even ran a pod XT into a tube amp, and miced that, and it still wasn't quite the same thing.

sometimes, it's just easier to cut to the chase.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jwh
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 17:19:32 (permalink)
    daveny5

I can't imagine you can't get ballsy sounds from a Line 6 POD Farm or a POD pedal or even Gig Rig. You must be doing something wrong because I have trouble making the guitar track not stand out too much. I agree its hard to say what the problem is without hearing a sample. Keep in mind you do need to use EQ to make a hole in the frequency spectrum to keep other sounds from masking the guitar sound. What are you using as a soundcard?

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the reply, I'm using a V-Studio 20,so sound card wise should be ok ?  

Komplete Audio 6, HagstromF200P, Ibanez Talman, Fender Bass, Rokit 8 Monitors, Maschine MK2, TC Voicelive Touch, Spark LE  

jwh
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 17:22:18 (permalink)
    batsbrew

and i'm ok with that.

tried the pod pro....

i even ran a pod XT into a tube amp, and miced that, and it still wasn't quite the same thing.

Hi Batsbrew,
    Yes I know exactly what you mean here, but,wife ,kids,neighbours know what I mean !!  

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 17:27:07 (permalink)
    I seem to be able to get good guitar sounds out of anything and everything and if I can, you can.
    twaddle
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1967
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 17:41:52 (permalink)
    Don't most people double, triple, quadruple their guitar tracks anyhow these days?
    I know that may depend on what guitar sound you're looking for.
    The sex pistols had 26 guitar tracks on Never Mind the Bollox,
    that was mainy because they thought not using them equated to not getting their moneys worth

Steve

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
    daveny5
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 17:59:25 (permalink)

I'm using a V-Studio 20,so sound card wise should be ok ?

I'd say so. What guitar do you have?

post edited by daveny5 - 2010/10/18 18:05:06

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Guitarman1
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 18:01:00 (permalink)
    hey.. I have the same problem... While I am recording, the guitar tone sounds killer, but on playback it just does not have that same "tone' to it. And this is without any effects on the track such as eq, compression or anything. And no other tracks recorded. It is hard to explain, and even posting a sample would not explain it, as one would need to hear the tone while recording to hear the difference.
        I am thinking maybe even though there is no eq on the track, that the freq. are still being affected by no eq..

I have been using podfarm, guitar rig 4, and some other software with same results. I used to have a gn3, and some of the tones sounded ok recorded, but most same results... it just does not have that same "bite' of sound.. if that makes sense.
    daveny5
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 18:07:24 (permalink)
    Keep in mind if you're using a soft effect, such as POD Farm or Guitar Rig, you can't record the effect on the track. You can record with the effect on using the Input Echo so you can hear what's going on, but it only records the clean guitar sound to the track. When you playback the track, you have to make sure its playing back through the effect.

post edited by daveny5 - 2010/10/18 18:11:50

Dave
    jwh
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 18:35:37 (permalink)
    daveny5

I'm using a V-Studio 20,so sound card wise should be ok ?

I'd say so. What guitar do you have?

I have two main guitars a Strat,and a Hagstrom 200P.Also it's not a Pod farm, but a Line 6 Version 2.0 (but a decent bit of kit I think) ?
    post edited by jwh - 2010/10/18 18:37:42

jwh
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 18:46:55 (permalink)
    twaddle

Don't most people double, triple, quadruple their guitar tracks anyhow these days?
    I know that may depend on what guitar sound you're looking for.
    The sex pistols had 26 guitar tracks on Never Mind the Bollox,
    that was mainy because they thought not using them equated to not getting their moneys worth

Steve

It's hard to put 26 guitar tracks alone on Sonar, plus all the other tracks, and keep CPU down, and latency in check,man, you could then be talking 40 tracks ?

John 

Gilly78
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 20:00:09 (permalink)
    I remember seeing a video of David Gilmour laying down some guitar track in the studio... Not Floyd stuff...  and remember thinking the guitar tone sounded poor.  The minute the recorded part was played back with the rest of the tune it sounded great!

I could be completely wrong on this, so apologies if i'm way of base but...

Are you setting up what you think is a great tone with just your guitar and POD / Guitar Rig, etc?  Or are you building the tone with the rest of the track?

Sometimes, when i'm recording a guitar track I think i'll have nailed a great tone.  At least I think it's great until I mix it in witht the rest of the tune at which point it can either sound weak or woolly or just be to dominant.  Other things can come to light too.  I had an effect on the guitar that I though sounded fantastic... Nice and thick!  As soon as I put it in the track the guitar sounded out of tune.  The solution was to really scale back the offending effect.

I'm not too sure Sonar is changing anything.  I think it's purely an eq thing.  Better to get the eq right before hitting record rather than trying to fix it later.

One thing i've found with all these modelling approaches (I've owned the POD 2.0, XT and X3 and the BOSS GT-10) is that whilst the actual Pre-Amp models sound excellent (For the most part), it's the speaker emulation that's the weakness.

I know whaqt you mean about neighbours, etc when it comes to recording a real amp.  That's why I went with modellers for so long.  My solution has been just to use a low powered amp - running the GT-10 into the fx return jack so I can mic up a real 12" speaker.  I may get a little 5 watt tube amp at some point.  I'm hoping i'll be able to get real amp tones at a decent recording level.

For me, modellers just don't quite cut it anymore.  But i've no idea if it's an eq thing or what you're using that's causing your issues.
    post edited by Gilly78 - 2010/10/18 20:03:56

My music and some guitar lessons here:

www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 20:10:24 (permalink)
    I just saw a mixing video where the studio sent the guitar signal from one guitar to 3 different and high end amps. That'll sure do it.
    Anyway, I always record a wet track and a dry track at the same time. Then I can eq and mix many different ways. I think if you layer like others have suggested you'll get closer to what you want to hear. You do need the right equipment to record a wet track though.

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 20:16:55 (permalink)
    Jwh, its probably your recording technique. Try and get the best sound you can before it gets printed in sonar. So you will be recording what you hear. If you dotn hear a good soudn, then you cant record a good sound.

Here are some tips ive used in the past: 

You first need to start with a decent sounding guitar tone. If the distortion sounds thin and buzzy, then you need to fix that first and foremost. Its much easier to get a big guitar sound form a sound source that sounds good to begin with. Crap in equals crap out. No matter what you do with it.

The use of short delays is good for widening up the guitar sound across the stereo fields. This techniques is very effective.

Your tone needs to be very broad with extended high and low frequencies. This is a must for a huge sound.

Your depth is very important. Long delays and reverb can make the guitar sound like its being listened to in a large room. A slap back delay defines
    the size of the room that the guitar is placed in. For example a delay of 500ms will create the illusion that the guitar is being listened to in a space that is 500 feet long. This is because sound travels at a speed of one foot per millisecond.

Compression is very important. I don't have a setting, because you need to use your ears for this. Each guitar/song will need different settings. But remember that compression helps keep the guitar consistent in the mix space. So use compression for this..

You try low tuning your guitar. record one take with standard tuning and one take with low tuning and combine them both for one huge guitar sound.

Double, triple, quadruple track guitar takes. Pan them far left and far right. This is by far the best way to achieve a huge guitar sound.
    You can also clone/copy the guitar track onto a new track and then transpose then entire track down an octave and combine both tracks for a huge sound. 

This is my favorite mic'ing technique to get that big, thick, and chunky guitar sound: (Note; you need 2 mic's for this technique). This techniques will put the "power" in your power chords.
    1. Place one mic close to your amp's speaker and compress that signal with an 8:1 ratio settings, a fast attack, a semi fast release and a threshold of 6 to 20dB below the highest peak of the audio level. This high compression will cause your guitar sound to pump.
    2. Place the 2nd mic and place it 5 to 9  feet away (room mic) from the amp's speaker. compress this signal with a ratio of 5:1, a medium attack, a slow release, and the threshold is the same as the other one, between 6 to 20dB below the highest peak.
    3. Combine both sounds together and using the room mic just enough to give it that thick and chunky sound.
    CJ

post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/10/19 00:01:05

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 22:09:42 (permalink)
    You're getting a lot of great advice here.  Are you hearing your effects on playback?  Otherwise, I'm siding with Dave in that it sounds like you're recording clean guitar, which is fine but you need to load an audio effect (like PODFarm or AmpSim or something).

No problem recording clean guitar.  In fact, if you're going the emulator route it's a good idea since you have more flexibility down the line.   (That said, if I could fully indulge this hobby I'd pursue Batsbrew sound.... but, among other things, the best times for recording are while everyone else is asleep... so I use a Line6 UX box for electric guitar work.)

And any of the Line6 HiGain models should give plenty of balls.  In fact, I usually find myself neutering them  a bit.

Dave: Just a bit of clarity on your point, the Line6 UX/PODFarm series does give the option to record clean or processed audio.
    post edited by jhughs - 2010/10/18 22:11:58

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    daveny5
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 22:20:49 (permalink)
    Dave: Just a bit of clarity on your point, the Line6 UX/PODFarm series does give the option to record clean or processed audio.

Only if you're using a hardware device like the Line6 UX. If you're just using the PODFarm or Guitar Rig or any other software Fx you can't. You can't record with any software effects in Sonar. You can add them after the fact though.

Dave
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/18 22:48:01 (permalink)
    daveny5
    Only if you're using a hardware device like the Line6 UX. If you're just using the PODFarm or Guitar Rig or any other software Fx you can't. You can't record with any software effects in Sonar. You can add them after the fact though.

Agreed.   Right.  I see now that was your point before.  Dang, I should've known I couldn't get one on you.  Ah well, hopefully it adds some clarity.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    jwh
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 07:58:21 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to repy, it gives me a bit to think about.

Cheers
    John 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 09:02:58 (permalink)
    And back off on the distortion!

If you intend to layer 2/3/4/5 distorted guitars together, you'll end up with a hornets nest of top end buzz.

Less is more.

Some of my favourite recordings of crunch rhythm has been made with the distortion barely distorting. Add a few of them together and it blends in nicely.

If you are going down the layering route, try using different guitar settings, different amps if you can manage it (I gather not), different pickups etc.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 10:51:40 (permalink)
    A chunky, fuzzy guitar line that sounds great live and through an amp @ 11 just sounds weak in the studio.  No matter how high you turn it up, it just fizzles.  I've seen (or heard) the problem a lot.  A guitar cab rolls off the highs and lows but overcomes that problem by sheer power.  Back off the fuzz effect first and see if you can't get more highs and lows in the recording to round out the sound.  That will add back some power on full range montitors, unless your audience listens through guitar cabs.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 11:09:34 (permalink)
    I think the pods are good. I just don't use any effects with them. Just clean or distortion. No rev, chorus, delay, ETC. I add that during the mixing. My soundcard can let me hear those effects without recording them so that's a plus.

Someone posted a link to an article about using the eq to remove the fizz that you get with pods and other modelers. It works really well.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Sylvan
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 11:09:56 (permalink)

batsbrew

and i'm ok with that.

tried the pod pro....

I totally agree. The "Engineer" in me loves the challenge of working for a real tone, it is like a badge of honor to get a real tone from a real amp like a real engineer.

The "Producer" in me says get the tone that is right for the song no matter what you have to do, even if it means using a software plugin.

These two sides battle constantly, but I am happiest when I can achieve the needed tone from real amps.

post edited by Sylvan - 2010/10/19 11:14:53

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    Sylvan
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 11:13:45 (permalink)
    10Ten

I seem to be able to get good guitar sounds out of anything and everything and if I can, you can.

Ha ha ha...great response.

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 11:39:14 (permalink)
    JWH,

I'll be the third poster to suggest posting a sample of what you are hearing on the recording. Without hearing, it is harder to pinpoint your problem. We may not hear it as such. Or, the problem may become quite obvious to all. I use a Line-6 DI with Podfarm and feel you should get adequate recorded sound. Really would like to know how to make your setup work satisfactorily for you.

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 14:02:07 (permalink)
    Something must be wrong with your signal chain (and/or your effects buss setup or EFX settings).
    My VS-20 with COSM effects sound absolutely fine.  The VS-20 has a very high impedance guitar/bass input so the pickups are loaded nicely and the feel of playing is good.

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Guitar sound Lacks Substance 2010/10/19 14:04:52 (permalink)
    While I am recording, the guitar tone sounds killer, but on playback it just does not have that same "tone' to it.

Correct- cause when you are playing, some of them tones are heard through your bones (literally).
    And the guitar sets up sympathetic vibrations with your body that simply can't be captured "to tape."

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1