*Guitar tone...

Author
corrupted
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2739
2006/09/07 11:59:09 (permalink)

*Guitar tone...

*I posted this in the wrong forum... so this is a re-post, sorry!*

Hi folks... I have an issue with some recently recorded guitar tracks.

-The levels of each track are fine
-I used my Marshall DSL50 head and a yamaha 4x12 cab
-I miked it with a Shure SM57
-They were recorded direct into sonar, no outboard processing

So, the good news is that the recorded track is in good condition, it hasn't been manipulated. But, they sound dull and lifeless. There isn't much room ambiance because they were close-miked, but they don't have the brightness or presence I was hoping to achieve. I don't really want to re-record any of this if I don't have to... but I can if I am required to do so. I'd like to find a way to do it in post with plugs and EQ, because I have multiple tracks layed down in more than one song.

The problem is, I want a nice thick tone that's not boomy, and has enough crunchy high end to punch correctly in my mix. I can't seem to get that without making it too shrill or ear-piercing. I've EQ'd a ton of guitar tracks before, but for some reason these sound strange and flat. Part of the problem is that when I recorded them I didn't realize that the tone was this dull.

So, I used a SonitusFX EQ and just rolled the highs up a little bit... but all that gave me was a nasty "tunneled" sound in the 4-6k range. I used a narrow band in that range to drop those freq's, but then it sounds tunelled through the 2-3k range.
(I describe it as a "tunneled sound" for lack of a better term. By "tunneled", I mean "canny" or "tunneled through a certain frequency range". It's really an *overprocessed* sound, that's my best guess. Someone please tell me if this makes any sense!!!)

I can post a sample of the dry track tonight, maybe that would help. Anyone willing to give it a shot? I'm not looking for someone to mix my song... but maybe some advice on what I could do to improve the tone would be nice! Maybe an exciter?
I tried running it through a dynamic distortion to break up the highs a little bit, but I ended up with a different type of distortion, same tunneled sound. No luck there! Anyone have any ideas?

Also, could it be because I'm bussing them together into a stereo bus and EQing them through the same SonitusFX? It still retains the stereo space, but maybe because they are EQ'd identically I'm getting this nasty sound?

19 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 14:34:23 (permalink)
    I would try re-recording the guitar properly. It helps to mike the guitar in stereo with two different locations to get different sounds and move them around untill you get the right sound. If you already know that the recording is poor, trying to EQ it will not solve the issue, likely will make it worse.
    fetishfrog
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 15:16:41 (permalink)
    Boten's advice is the best around. If you have a sample, post it and I'll give it a listen. I have a feeling, based on your comments, that you used too much pre-amp gain, a very common thing to do that always results in an overprocessed sound. Also, try micing the 57 a little off axis, as this seems to clear up a little of the mud and emphasize the 2k range.
    gonzo_dog
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 15:19:25 (permalink)
    Also for that thick track sound you'll need to record more than one track anyway.
    corrupted
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 15:38:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gonzo_dog

Also for that thick track sound you'll need to record more than one track anyway.
    Right on... I did. There are actually 4 guitars. Two mains, panned out about 65% L & R, bussed quietly to opposing delays. The other two are much lower and panned 100% L&R, with also opposing delays.
    The panning and layering is the part I'm happy with. I've used it many times before and had great results (all with preamps running direct, not miked). It's really just related to the tone as far as I can see.

I will post a clip later and we'll see. I'd prefer to post a .WAV clip of about 30 seconds so I don't lose clarity. I'll update later.
    Thanks!
    corrupted
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 19:46:26 (permalink)
    Okay here's the clip in it's raw form:

http://www.corruptionstudios.net/mp3/stuff/sm57andDSL50.wav

And here's my cheap attempt at the mic placement:

So, the mic is at about a 45 degree angle horizontally towards the lower third of the bottom right speaker in a 4x12 cab with Celestion GT75 (I think) speakers.

It's an old sm57... I have a couple of other mics I wanted to try so I could see if that was the problem. It could also be the room it's in, I might point it at something more dead so as not to get too much of a plate reverb, although the recording isn't really "ringy" that I notice. (I don't know if the clip has any stops in it or not, can't remember)

I checked into phasing... that didn't seem to be the issue. Even on this single track it's got that nasty vibe to it. I used no outboard EQ, just straight into a Mackie ONYX board's mic preamp.
    So... if you'll notice the ringy "locked phaser" kind of tone... any ideas?
    post edited by corrupted - 2006/09/07 20:00:34
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 21:52:46 (permalink)
    it has been posted before by yep but i read this and would highly recommend it to you:

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

slipperman's recording distorted guitars guide. slipperman is a very disturbed individual (i.e., engineer ) with a very good approach to recording guitar (at least from a common sense standpoint, i've never had the pleasure of trying it out myself so can't vouch for it in that way).

one thing i'd never thought of was how important it is to involve the cab itself in the sound. that requires turning it up quite a bit, which is much easier to handle with a small cab than a big one.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 22:03:41 (permalink)
    I took a shot at it. I actually liked your original tone (if its a heavy rock thing you wanted) so I only changed it a tad by boosting highs and lows both sort of like a loudness EQ, and made it stereo with a multitap set to a very slight surround sound kind of thing. I think delay works much better than reverb with this kind of sound.

Joe's Shot At It
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2006/09/07 23:22:17
    corrupted
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 22:58:28 (permalink)
    Thanks!

So... maybe I'm just being anal about the tone. I may just use your model as a guide, Joe. It did sound a bit less harsh and more full.

Did you hear the 3.5k-5k tunneled sound that I heard? Was it all in my head?
    corrupted
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 22:59:28 (permalink)
    Thanks Jack, that looks like a great guide. This weekend I will soak it all in and get a refreshed look at it!
    post edited by corrupted - 2006/09/07 23:12:50
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 23:04:29 (permalink)
    I didn't hear any tunnel thing. Maybe its the way it sits in the mix with your drums and whatnot, in which case I wouldn't have heard it the way you did. I really think it sounded fine before I screwed with it.
    corrupted
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/07 23:39:04 (permalink)
    Alright Joe... so maybe I'm going crazy... why don't you come out and say it already?

Anywho, cool. I'll work with it some more. It honestly may be the drums (cymbals, most likely) that are making a certain freq stand out, and then when I solo the guitars I'm *looking* for it, so I hear it. It's all in my head... it's all in my head... it's all in my head.

Thanks for the input! Seeing as it's my band, there's no deadline to this one. I can re-record as much as I like, but I have to ask my other guitarist to bring his gear back over so I'd rather not be a pain in his @ss if the sound is already good enough. I think I've recently taken a lot of initiative to step up my production quality, so I'm being picky about everything. The amp is still set up in the same location, so I may still experiment with some other ideas... but I won't delete those tracks! I may have you listen to the mix if that's alright, though.

Thanks again!
    post edited by corrupted - 2006/09/07 23:53:00
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/08 12:14:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: corrupted
    Alright Joe... so maybe I'm going crazy... why don't you come out and say it already?

do you hear it in the single sample or when you've got all the guitars together in the mix? in the sample you posted i really don't hear anything particularly wrong. it does sound a little flat, maybe generic. if you've got some delays going on that can sometimes cause a phasey sound...

- jack the ex-cynic
    corrupted
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/08 17:08:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

ORIGINAL: corrupted

do you hear it in the single sample or when you've got all the guitars together in the mix? in the sample you posted i really don't hear anything particularly wrong. it does sound a little flat, maybe generic. if you've got some delays going on that can sometimes cause a phasey sound...
    I hear it in the single sample. It's quite possible that the annoyance is just being amplified by the doubling and delays, and so when I solo it I pick it out right away...

I dunno.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/08 19:19:15 (permalink)
    ok i hear it now. as far as mic'ing goes, you'll just have to experiment. if you can get someone else to play (or move the mic) then just move the mic around as you are playing and maybe describe (in the mic so you know later) where the mic is (9" back, off-axis at a 45° angle). if you've got two people have one play and one move the mic and then listen in a control room (if you've got one) and tell them to stop when it sounds good.

also i usually take a big chunk out of the middle when i eq electrics in a denser mix. recently though i've been turning down the mid control on my pod with some success. the bottom line is that getting the "perfect" tone is going to take time and experimentation.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/11 00:02:33 (permalink)
    As Joe mentioned, I think the guitar sounds pretty good. I'd be interested to hear the hard-panned stereo tracks. I bet they would sound tasty. The guitar has some sizzle, yet when you hit some of the lower notes there some bass in there, too. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Chaz has some guides for mixing and EQ'ing on the forum, too.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=811183

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    MagicBuss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/19 15:49:21 (permalink)
    Try pointing the mic straight into the speaker cone as opposed to the ever popular but questionable angled mic technique. The center of the speaker will yield the most high end with a rounder tone available closer to the edge. The closer you put the mic to the cab the more you will boost 200 hz due to proximity effect - I usually put the mic 6-12" away to let the cab breathe a bit and also because I tend to rolloff alot of low end on guitars anyway to make room for the bass. Also try to get the cab off the floor because leaving it on the ground can mess with low end. Have someone play guitar quietly through your amp (or reamp a clean direct guitar track through your amp) and listen to each speaker in turn to see if you can find one that sounds best. And finally volume is your friend - turn your amp up and try to find the sweet spot with the best tone with a minimum of rattling from the amp, cab and room.
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/19 16:53:14 (permalink)
    Also try to get the cab off the floor because leaving it on the ground can mess with low end

word.

The Poodle Chews It.

macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/20 01:28:06 (permalink)
    And if you really don't wanna re-record your trax, when you've found a good place for the mic, you could always try 're-amping' your recorded guitar

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    david_s
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: *Guitar tone... 2006/09/26 04:39:41 (permalink)
    >and made it stereo
    Joe, I'm a new user (using Sonar 4 Home). How do you "make" it stereo?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1