Guru under P5 v2

Author
psi777
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
2005/08/23 15:40:13 (permalink)

Guru under P5 v2

so I picked up a copy of fxPansion Guru and an M-Audio Trigger Finger thing yesterday...just seemed like a natural combination.

I tried firing them up under P5 (v2), and found that while Guru runs under P5, and I can trigger the Guru samples from the virtual keyboard in the editor window, the MIDI triggers will not trigger the Guru sounds when I hit them. The MIDI triggers will trigger other synths just fine. Or, I can record a MIDI track using the M-Audio, going to the Guru synth, and while I do not hear anything while I record, everything plays back just fine.

I am able to use the Trigger Finger + Guru combination under Sonar or Cubase just fine....or, like I said, I can use the Trigger Finger with any other synth under P5 just fine....so this appears to be a P5 + Guru problem.

Anyone else running Guru under P5? Any similar problems? Suggestions?

TIA

17 Replies Related Threads

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 15:54:48 (permalink)
    i'd send an e-mail to fxPansion asap

and secondly to Cakewalk

and someone else will be along shortly to review your configuration options
    perhaps someone who already owns at least one of these products.

just for future reference, never expect 2 new pieces of equipment to work together immediately. always one, then the other.

i have nothing really to add except if you get really impatient and upset and want to throw Trigger Finger out, I'd be willing to relieve you of your frustration and arrange for shipping
    post edited by wrench45us - 2005/08/23 16:02:08

mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 16:26:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psi777
    ....a P5 + Guru problem.

Anyone else running Guru under P5? Any similar problems?

I'm sorry that I'm not going to be much help, even though my original experience was the same as yours.

Fortunately I got them running together, unfortunately I haven't got a clue what I did, other than changing different settings until I was about blind and it started working.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 18:14:42 (permalink)
    Anyone else running Guru under P5? Any similar problems? Suggestions?
    Just a guess, Cyrus (I don't have Guru), but it sounds like you've got some combination of ports, MIDI channels, and/or MIDI Override blocking the input from getting through. Most hardware defaults to transmitting on MIDI channel 1, and most software is set to receive Omni (all 16 channels), or on channel 1. Perhaps Guru is expecting something else by default, or your P5 settings prevent it from getting there.
    if you get really impatient and upset and want to throw Trigger Finger out, I'd be willing to relieve you of your frustration and arrange for shipping
    I'll go ya' one better: I'll come pick it up ... for Jan (of course). What in the world would I do with a second Trigger Finger?

Hmm ... I'd tell you, but we haven't got that kind of time.
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/23 18:21:23
    psi777
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 18:28:32 (permalink)
    Fortunately I got them running together, unfortunately I haven't got a clue what I did, other than changing different settings until I was about blind and it started working.

well...if I understand correctly that you have Trigger Finger + Guru + P5 up and running, but initially had the same problem, then that's very enouraging...if not very helpful ;)

At least that lets me know that it is possible, so I'll keep poking away until I stumble upon your magic fix.

and sorry guys, no chance I'm giving up my new toys...like I said, I have this all running under Sonar without a hitch, and it is the sh*t.
    mike85021
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 18:32:53 (permalink)

well...if I understand correctly that you have Trigger Finger + Guru + P5 up and running, but initially had the same problem, then that's very enouraging...if not very helpful ;)

At least that lets me know that it is possible, so I'll keep poking away until I stumble upon your magic fix.

and sorry guys, no chance I'm giving up my new toys...like I said, I have this all running under Sonar without a hitch, and it is the sh*t.

No trigger finger. Sorry.

But whatever I did had something to do with the way the MIDI channels were set (i'm at work so I'm jsut muddying the waters, probably). I think the default on GURU was CH 10, and on P5 was CH 1 or OMNI.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 18:33:45 (permalink)
    don't own either try midi channel 10
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/23 18:52:20 (permalink)
    I'll chime in here and mention something BRock did which may solve the problem.

I've noticed with Sonar moreso than P5, but I suspect it's similar, that if I add a new MIDI device (which you have, the Trigger Finger), the application doesn't always seem to know which MIDI port was doing what previously.

So I would definitely recheck your MIDI device setup to resolve this.

Example: Let's save I have 2 control surfaces and/or input devices.

When I boot P5 (or Sonar), it sees them and all is well.

Now I add a new device.

P5/Sonar sees it, but doesn't remember the other's already assigned assignments.

So my control surface #2 may get the wrong port assignment by the new device taking it's entry point.

If I'm being clear (I hope I am), just go in and check all your device settings again in case this is what has happened.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Angus_FX
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 05:23:06 (permalink)
    Yep, it's a MIDI channels thing.

GURU is multi timbral, and the engines receive on ch 1..8. Trigger Finger by default sends on ch 10. Some hosts (Cubase) re-channelize all inbound MIDI data by default, I guess P5 does not.

I have an Engima template (if you're not aware of this already, Enigma is the setup-editor for the Trigger Finger and other newer M-Audio gear) for running GURU from the Trigger Finger -- it's a kick-ass combination, even better with GURU is *two* Trigger Fingers (one for triggering samples, one for switching Scenes). Email me and I'll send you the Enigma template.

Angus F. Hewlett, CEO
    FXpansion Audio http://www.fxpansion.com
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 05:53:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike85021

....a P5 + Guru problem.

Anyone else running Guru under P5? Any similar problems?

I'm sorry that I'm not going to be much help, even though my original experience was the same as yours.

This is the type of fix I often refer to as "Voodoo". It's either that or the Pixie Dust that did it.
    I can't begin to count the number of times I've fixed things on my own systems and other people's without having a clue what I did that fixed it. "Well I just put on my pointy hat with the stars on it, wave a wand, jump down, turn around, pick a bail a' cotton".

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 06:11:05 (permalink)
    What in the world would I do with a second Trigger Finger?
    Hmm ... I'd tell you, but we haven't got that kind of time.
    it's a kick-ass combination, even better with GURU is *two* Trigger Fingers (one for triggering samples, one for switching Scenes).
    Ladies & gentlemen of the Forum, I rest my case. Dueling Trigger Fingers it is; one more step towards the final goal of the 5000 Fingers of Dr. B.

Thanks for reminder that the TF defaults to sending over Channel 10, Angus. What's up with that? You'd think that this unit was intended as a drum trigger or something ...
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/24 06:20:09
    mike85021
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 07:14:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL Angus_FX

...even better with GURU is *two* Trigger Fingers (one for triggering samples, one for switching Scenes.

Oh Oh! Who wuz it that was so in love with Trigger Finger they were wondering if it was possible to use two? More gear lust!
    post edited by mike85021 - 2005/08/24 07:23:56

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 07:59:41 (permalink)

cripers, people will have 2 and it'll be Xmas before I have one
    i just have to tell myself i really have more than enough toys to stay busy and haven't even learned those yet

that was awfully nice of Angus to stop by wasn't it?
    not to mention the free offer of a template

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 13:44:02 (permalink)
    Hi Angus,

Always nice to see you around

I create my own Enigma setups, but others certainly may be interested. Thanks for the offer though!

ORIGINAL: Angus_FX

Yep, it's a MIDI channels thing.

GURU is multi timbral, and the engines receive on ch 1..8. Trigger Finger by default sends on ch 10. Some hosts (Cubase) re-channelize all inbound MIDI data by default, I guess P5 does not.

I have an Engima template (if you're not aware of this already, Enigma is the setup-editor for the Trigger Finger and other newer M-Audio gear) for running GURU from the Trigger Finger -- it's a kick-ass combination, even better with GURU is *two* Trigger Fingers (one for triggering samples, one for switching Scenes). Email me and I'll send you the Enigma template.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    psi777
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 13:44:57 (permalink)

Awesome....and yes, I'd love to get a hold of that template.

didn't see you email address, so I'm taking a wild guess and trying angus(at)fxpansion(dot)com

if that's not right, I'm at psirus777(at)hotmail(dot)com

thank you so much.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 16:59:21 (permalink)
    *next up on "Days of our P5"*
    "Trigger Toes® does Ableton Live but I can't get it to work in Project 5 ? @#$%!^&!!!!"
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2005/08/24 17:06:18

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Bradster
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/24 17:53:26 (permalink)
    As long as we're having a Trigger Finger Worship Service, here's a handy mounting solution (sorry wrench, won't work on a T.V. stand).

psi777
    RE: Guru under P5 v2 2005/08/25 12:52:29 (permalink)
    Just as a follow-up to my own question:

Yes, strange behavior had to do with the Tigger Finger defaulting to MIDI channel 10. Now have everything up and running wonderfully.

Still not entirely sure why I was unable to trigger the Guru samples, yet WAS able to record a MIDI part which played back under Guru just fine...I guess that P5 was recording MIDI omni data, but Guru wasn't getting the omni data directly, then when P5 played back the part THEN it got through ok...whatever...just as long as it's working for me.

Thanks everyone for the help...and esp. Angus, for the Guru template.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1