HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday!

Author
OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
2009/01/23 03:25:17 (permalink)

HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday!

I was surfing channels late tonight and stumbled on the PBS HD channel, and Foreigner was playing on "Soundstage". I almost cried when I realized I only caught the last four songs of the show. I couldn't believe how good they sounded. Jeez their lead guitarist is getting old, but man can he ever still play that guitar. What a great performance. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for that Soundstage show...it looks stunning in HD...I hope they play the Foreigner one again so I can record it.

Edit: Woohoo! I just looked up the listings and the same concert is on tomorrow night (Sat Jan 24th) at 10pm and at 3am, so if you get the PBS HD channel (I get it free off the air with a HD tuner card in my PC...any HD tv with an ATSC tuner should get it...or if you get HD via cable or satellite), check it out. You'll be amazed at how good it sounds for a live performance! Sure brought back memories!
post edited by OldGeezer - 2009/01/23 11:23:39

18 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 04:11:52 (permalink)
    I saw them doing an interview and playing a couple of songs recently, they did sound good, especially Mick Jones I agree. The singer was fine, but not a patch on Lou Gramm, IMO.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 06:38:37 (permalink)
    FOREIGNER?

In this age of bashment and grime

get with the programme
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 09:04:19 (permalink)
    Sorry...going to get right up to date now and listen to some China Crisis...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    OldGeezer
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 11:18:07 (permalink)
    Bah...I like mostly new "alternative" rock, hard rock and some metal, I love Third Eye Blind, Linkin Park, Our Lady Peace and even a bit of Rob Zombie, but that doesn't make the old stuff any less valid. Hell, I even listen to Mozart now and then, and that's totally yesteryear! Foreigner, Boston, Black Sabbath, Rush and the like were my introduction to rock music.

I managed to catch "Dirty White Boy", "Feels like the first time", "Jukebox Hero" and "Hot Blooded" and they sounded fantastic playing them. Some of you youngsters should be more open to the classics...like the historians love to say: The best way to see where you're going is to look at where you came from (or something like that).

btw...I was kinda stupid to say it's on at 10pm on Saturday like a blanket statement...it depends on where you are. It's on at 10pm eastern time (Toronto, New York etc...). Check www.titantv.com or your satellite guide for your local listings. And I was wrong in the order too...it is 3am and then 10pm on Saturday....which means late late friday night (3am saturday morning) and then saturday night (again, your time may vary). Set your dvr recorders...it's the best looking and sounding digital concert I've seen yet!

post edited by OldGeezer - 2009/01/23 11:26:20
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 15:00:26 (permalink)
    Hey, Geezer... I'm old too (40) but I have to say... while I RESPECT Foreigner, Boston, etc., I'm REALLY bored with it, mostly because so-called Classic Rock stations burned out all those songs for me years ago. That, and playing them in cover bands. Ugh.

Give me new and interesting any day of the week! LOL

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Guitarmech111
    Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5085
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 17:24:41 (permalink)
    Man, I have seen foreigner live and had to walk out. I never liked them since. Didn't impress me at all.

I do like the HD channels getting to play concerts of bands. alicia keys was on last night and it was a nice show. She is a fabulous artist.

Now get that Judas Priest on there and I can watch that with my son. Get Skynyrd on there and I can watch it by myself.

Peace,
    Conley Shepherd
    Joyful Noise Productions
    PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
    OldGeezer
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 18:05:40 (permalink)
    Heh, I'm the opposite. I was thoroughly impressed by what little I saw of the Foreigner concert and look forward to seeing all of it tomorrow. I went to see Judas Priest at the CNE for the Turbo tour years and years ago, and was unimpressed. Yeah, the robot arm sticking out of the "electric eye" and picking the lead guitarist was nifty, but the sound sucked and Halford's singing was pretty bad I thought. I still like alot of Screaming for Vengeance and Sad Wings of Destiny, but I'd never go see them live again.

The only two bands I've personally seen live where the sound was phenomenal were Rush and Genesis...and ACDC was ok at the Maple Leaf Gardens, but I've seen that "No Bull" DVD concert and it sounded like it was coming through a telephone...I must have gotten lucky that night..either that or I was so fried I just thought it sounded great (until the "for those about to rock" cannons started giving me a mild concussion).

I suspect they really know what they're doing on that PBS soundstage no matter who's playing. Foreigner sounded better there than some studio recordings I've heard.

Skynyrd....I'd have to pass. Him and Neil Young give me the heebee-geebees worse than the beegees.
    post edited by OldGeezer - 2009/01/23 18:14:02
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 18:52:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lazarous
    Hey, Geezer... I'm old too (40) but I have to say... while I RESPECT Foreigner, Boston, etc., I'm REALLY bored with it, mostly because so-called Classic Rock stations burned out all those songs for me years ago. That, and playing them in cover bands. Ugh.
    Corey

Indeed.
    Where I grew up, we had the following radio stations:
    - Classic Rock
    - Rap
    - Country
    - Conservative Talk Radio
    - Radio Pop
    - More Classic Rock
    - More Rap
    - More Country

Can't handle any of it anymore.
    And, unfortunately, the "classic" rock stations played the same 3 Floyd songs over and over, the same 3 Boston songs over and over, Sweet Home Alabama over and over and over and over and over and over, the same 3 zep songs over and over and over, the same 3 Journey songs over and over and over... etc.

Ouch. Mind numbing.
    You'd have sworn time had stopped somewhere between 73 and 85, and never moved again.

I remember moving out of town and freaking out @ how much I'd missed.
    Totally out of touch now, but my son loves The Killers, and I must admit they're pretty fun to sing along too (out of key, which is fine).

I guess it's cool when groups keep it going, but there's something to be said about getting out gracefully while you're still on top.
    Pink Floyd version 3 finally threw in the towel, and now I suppose that's pretty solidified, with Richard gone and all (bummer). I remember going to see those guys years ago, but long after they'd sort of become they're on tribute/cover band, and thinking:
    My, this is exactly like the DVDs... and they were so far away (even though I was on the 15th row, which cost a fortune) that they could have literally been a cover band, and no one would have known.

Anyway,
    rambling...

(interestingly, or not, a recent visit to my home town hit me with the realization that they are STILL frozen in time)

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/01/23 18:59:00
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 19:20:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lazarous

Corey

Is KQ92 still running that format? I listened to them all the time when I was going to Brown Institute (in Mpls) in the early 80s... I was back to visit in the Cities about 5-6 years ago and turned them on, and it was almost like time had passed them by. They were still doing the "if it's too loud, you're too old..." schtick.

Call it the burnout/cynicism of a former radio guy... I don't listen to radio at all any more, except occasionally the French side of the CBC, which we can get up here. I don't understand much... but it's something different.

Russ

OldGeezer
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 19:29:38 (permalink)
    Well, where I live, we have Q107 in Toronto and The Wolf (can't remember the dial #), and they both play "classic rock". I haven't listened to them in 10 years. When I do listen to radio, and that's not often, I listen almost exclusively to 102.1 The Edge, which is all new rock, and other new rock stations. So I'm not sick of the classics at all...on the contrary, I usually think "Oh yeah! I used to love that tune!". Well, except maybe Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven"...I never really liked that tune much, even before I'd heard it a million times.
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday! 2009/01/23 20:43:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to the world of Tribute Bands. Where the guitarist hires out everyone to pretend to be the original group.
    post edited by Nate - 2009/01/27 21:26:48
    OldGeezer
    RE: HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday! 2009/01/23 21:07:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nate

Welcome to the world of Tribute Bands. Where the guitarist hires out everyone to pretend to be the original group. Bahahahahahaha!

Har! More like "welcome to the world of ridiculous snobbery". I couldn't care less if I'm listening to a cover band....a good tune's a good tune. The lead singer got a brain tumor and couldn't perform anymore. So what's your point? Is the New York Philharmonic Orchestra a bunch of posers coz they weren't the band who played one of the original Mozart symphonies? What have you done that anyone's ever heard of?

But if it makes you feel big to put down something someone's gotten into...knock yourself out kiddo. Most people would have the good sense to just STFU, but not everyone.

And btw..you've probably insulted everyone in these forums who've produced cover tunes...and that's likely a lot...peckerhead. That you think they're a joke coz one or more members of the original band are present, or that cover bands in general are a joke, makes you an ultra-maroon.
    post edited by OldGeezer - 2009/01/23 21:17:57
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/23 21:29:22 (permalink)
    The progam is older and longer than you think. We've been taught to wash off the grime, one day you will too.
    ORIGINAL: artsoul

FOREIGNER?

get with the programme

Craig DuBuc
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday! 2009/01/24 09:18:19 (permalink)
    deleted
    post edited by Nate - 2009/01/27 21:27:24
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday! 2009/01/24 14:06:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OldGeezer

But if it makes you feel big to put down something someone's gotten into...knock yourself out kiddo. Most people would have the good sense to just STFU, but not everyone.

And btw..you've probably insulted everyone in these forums who've produced cover tunes...and that's likely a lot...peckerhead. That you think they're a joke coz one or more members of the original band are present, or that cover bands in general are a joke, makes you an ultra-maroon.

The above post violates the TOS. Please refrain from name calling and/or personal attacks.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/24 21:11:50 (permalink)

brap brap errmmm brap I believe the saying goes

isn't it about the dubstep now

same samples used since jungle days.. yet just change the time sig / tempo... = new genre
    post edited by Fog - 2009/01/24 21:17:44
    artsoul
    RE: HD Foreigner concert on PBS this Saturday! 2009/01/25 10:03:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OldGeezer

ORIGINAL: Nate
    , makes you an ultra-maroon.

where do i sign up to ne ultra-maroon?
    artsoul
    RE: Did anyone catch the Foreigner concert on PBS tonight? 2009/01/25 10:05:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

brap brap errmmm brap I believe the saying goes

isn't it about the dubstep now

same samples used since jungle days.. yet just change the time sig / tempo... = new genre

dubstep is sooo last year---bashment is retrocool
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1