HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE.

Author
adamcoe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/11/15 01:04:16 (permalink)

HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE.

Right so this is entirely my fault but please take pity on my audio soul.

Finished a somewhat arduous bass edit, then moved on to vocals. During tracking I had accidentally left the vocal track armed while recording the bass parts, so I had duplicates of all the bass takes in my vocal channel...no problem, I thought to myself, I'll just delete these duplicate parts and do my vocal edit! Spent an hour or so doing my vocal edit, then went back to take a listen to my whole mix, and realized when I deleted the "extra" bass parts off the vocal track, it had deleted the matching ones in my bass track as well, as they had been grouped while tracking (I have that commmand engaged essentially all the time to make sure drum tracks and whatever stay together).

Is there ANY way to fly the bass takes in and have them appear at their proper spots without going back to the previous version of the session (before I had done either edit)? All the audio is still in my audio folder.

6 Replies Related Threads

randyman
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE. 2017/11/15 02:52:17 (permalink)
    Edit.History.Undo record?

(just a stab)

A rack of noisemakers is not a definitive substitute for creativity. (though it does seem to help)

what I spend my lunch time doing:  (don't laugh - its just for fun!) www.soundclick.com/rnewburn

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE. 2017/11/15 03:31:49 (permalink)
    Been there, probably done worse.
    Save the current take as a new Project*, in a new folder.
    Then go back to previous and extract the parts you want and copy them to the new project.

* edit: I always use the option "Copy all audio with project"
    There was a case where I discovered I lost a guitar part somewhere along the way weeks back and I was able to recover it from an audio file in an old save.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    BRainbow
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re: HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE. 2017/11/15 05:43:00 (permalink)
    Look in your project audio folder for the deleted takes and paste them back in individual tracks.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
    thedukewestern
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE. 2017/11/15 15:06:38 (permalink)
    Thats awful I recently did something like that.  History is what save my session

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE. 2017/11/16 00:51:29 (permalink)
    I do not have a convenient suggestion for your situation now. The ideas above are worth a try,

For the future though maybe you might follow this tip.

Use Save As while working on your song. Each file name is like rev1a, rev1, after the song name. Work from the newest Save file and leave the previous files as your history.

That way you can't step back at any point in time when you've made a previous save point. Has worked great for my workflow through the years. I've never lost 3 hours of creative effort.

Related note. I actually use this rev naming convention: PL17-10 rev1a. That reminds me if I return to a song 6 months later what version of Sonar the latest rev was in.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    Thedoccal
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re: HELP! Any way to restore deleted takes to their original spot? 3 hours of work GONE. 2017/11/16 03:58:56 (permalink)
    Won't there be one or more "undo recording" entries in "History"?  If you work backwards one at a time will an undo "redo" the recording you recorded over?

Maybe: Go to your audio folder.  Sort by time.  Copy everything to a folder on your desktop.  Sort though it after a few drinks.  At least you have everything you recorded that day, or during those hours.
    post edited by Thedoccal - 2017/11/16 04:37:14

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
    The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
    Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1