HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7?

Author
cyphersuit
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
2012/03/04 17:41:47 (permalink)

HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7?

those are supposed to work with my audio interface, tc konnekt 24d, but i can not find them online. if anybody has them - it would be a godsend for my audio problems. thanks alot cyph

24 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/04 18:04:19 (permalink)
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1

from what I gather it should be included with win 7..

is your firewire chipset a Ti one ? if not that might be the problem.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/04 18:28:28 (permalink)
    Those are built into Windows 7, it's not a separate driver. 

Go to the Device Manager, select the 1394 Host Controller.  RIGHT click on the entry to highlight it and then LEFT click "Update Driver Software".  When the panel comes up, click on "Browse My computer for driver software".  When the next panel comes up, click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  Select the Legacy driver from the list that will come up.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 06:35:53 (permalink)
    Hi, those are not included in my win7 installation. i already tried the suggestion above, they are not there.

that's why i would love for somebody to send me the file via mail...

fireberd
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 08:21:34 (permalink)
    Exactly what hardware do you have in your PC?  Motherboard?  Firewire Chipset?

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 13:42:01 (permalink)
    Msi motherboard, firewire via chipset compatible to my audio interface.
    Fog
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 13:56:54 (permalink)
    so the firewire is onboard and *NOT* Texas instruements,  by "via" or someone.. maybe thats the issue?

I had that problem with a USB card , that didn't use an NEC chipset.. and it didn't do what it was supposed to and I'm guessing that your chipset isn't Ti and thats the problem..

fireberd
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 14:13:39 (permalink)
    It's not a T.I., it's a "VIA" firewire chipset.  The legacy driver may only be available if you have a T.I. chipset.

But I also agree that not having a T.I. chipset is probably most of the problems.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Eric Beam
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 15:14:19 (permalink)
    You can go to device manager/TC interface/driver & manually select legacy. But honestly these issues have been fixed. This was only needed before TC updated the drivers.
    I'm using a 24D & SK48 daisy chained with the "new" firewire driver just fine. I recommend you drive down to staples/bestbuy & pic up a TI based firewire card.

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."
    rhythminmind.net - signaltonoize.com - popsound.com
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 15:35:34 (permalink)
    Fog

so the firewire is onboard and *NOT* Texas instruements,  by "via" or someone.. maybe thats the issue?

I had that problem with a USB card , that didn't use an NEC chipset.. and it didn't do what it was supposed to and I'm guessing that your chipset isn't Ti and thats the problem..

I don't think anything but TI is crap. In my test of 4 different firewire boards, 3 with TI and one with VIA chipset the VIA worked just fine and with less cpu consumption actually.

Sonar had problem with TC Eletronics drivers for Impact Twin(transport took 2-3 tries before it ran), but Focusrite Saffire Pro40 ran just fine.

Very important overall that firewire cable was good quality and not having any tension at all, or audio would start to fail. Tiny bend with my terminal table towards wall was enough to make it crack up.
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 15:36:16 (permalink)
    Cyph,
    Do you have a PCI or PCI-e slot available?
    If you need the PCI-e interface try this: SIIG NN-E38012-S3
    I haven't used it myself, but it is TI, and available.
    If you need a PCI interface try the Adaptec 4300, many have had good results.
    I can't speak to your interface "needing" the "Legacy" driver.
    With my Tascam FW-1884 you MUST have a TI chipset and MUST use the "Legacy" driver.
    I have a tutorial here for setting up the Legacy driver.
    I've heard the VIA will BSOD when set up "Legacy"; again no personal experience with that.

HTH,

Tom

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 15:53:15 (permalink)
    Okay, to clarify: i have a fire wire pci express card for audio. Via chipset on the pci card. My audio interface is supposed to work best with ti OR via chipset using the legacy driver. (according to tc electronic forums, the manufacturers of my audio interface)

So it is possible to have a via firewire card AND use firewire drivers. Can nobody locate them on their harddrive and mail the file to me?

cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 15:58:43 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps

Cyph,
    Do you have a PCI or PCI-e slot available?
    If you need the PCI-e interface try this: SIIG NN-E38012-S3
    I haven't used it myself, but it is TI, and available.
    If you need a PCI interface try the Adaptec 4300, many have had good results.
    I can't speak to your interface "needing" the "Legacy" driver.
    With my Tascam FW-1884 you MUST have a TI chipset and MUST use the "Legacy" driver.
    I have a tutorial here for setting up the Legacy driver.
    I've heard the VIA will BSOD when set up "Legacy"; again no personal experience with that.

HTH,

Tom

Very nice tutorial. Unfortunately the legacy driver isn't shown for me in device manager..

KeithS
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 17:09:04 (permalink)
    cyphersuit

Can nobody locate them on their harddrive and mail the file to me?

I'm not a computer guru, so I'll admit that I may be wrong but I don't think finding the driver and emailing it to you is going to solve your problem.  From what I think I know, the driver is part of a whole package of files, including an installation file that is specfic to the driver.  You need to have the whole package in order to have it installed where it needs to be and properly set up in the registry. 

Tom gave you the correct instructions for locating the legacy driver and I'm not sure why it isn't there.  Microsoft provided the legacy driver in all flavors of Windows7 for backwards compatibility with Firewire device drivers that are not compliant with the new Windows 7 1394ohci.sys driver architecture. 

Keith
    SONAR X1d Producer Expanded (64 bit), Waves Platinum  
    Home built PC Intel i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 MoBo
    16 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
    TASCAM FW-1884
    EEE-1394 Legacy driver
    PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card 
    2 ASUS V249H LED Monitors.

DeeringAmps
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 17:26:50 (permalink)
    Cyph,
    Are you sure you are following the tutorial instructions exactly as they are posted?
    Can you post a screen shot of "Device Manager"?

Tom

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    Fog
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/05 20:16:17 (permalink)
    lfm

I don't think anything but TI is crap. In my test of 4 different firewire boards, 3 with TI and one with VIA chipset the VIA worked just fine and with less cpu consumption actually.

Sonar had problem with TC Eletronics drivers for Impact Twin(transport took 2-3 tries before it ran), but Focusrite Saffire Pro40 ran just fine.

Very important overall that firewire cable was good quality and not having any tension at all, or audio would start to fail. Tiny bend with my terminal table towards wall was enough to make it crack up.

I just like an easy life, that sound card is discontinued also? . the driver should pick up in windows regardless *IF* it's finding the right chipset on that card.

A Ti based card would fix the issue and be found.. instead of using some consumer grade firewire chipset that's for hooking up an external drive / camera to. how much is that Ti interface, $50 or something.. so not gonna break the bank.

it reminds me of my friend abroad who raved on about RME card, and top end MOBO.. RME card was great (and yer he's german, so slightly biased anyway hehe) .. anyway in his case his "top end mobo", firewire I told him to replace the firewire.. and it worked .. it only took him 2 days of wasted to realise I was talking sense

I'm surprised TC haven't suggested that.. 

speccy should tell you the chipsets hopefully

http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/

fireberd
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/06 06:26:56 (permalink)
    I have a utility I got, I think from the Avid/MAudio forum, that came from the DICE vendor.  It will scan your PC and list what the actual firewire chipset is.   If anyone wants it, leave me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.  It's a small file.

(I'll be gone on a day gig today, so it will probably be this evening at the earliest until I can respond).

Jack

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/06 16:24:20 (permalink)
    the tool speccy didn't list the pci-e card at all?!? i will try to connect my audio firewire interface to the mainboard now, we'll see if that changes anything for the better.
    DeeringAmps
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/06 16:27:31 (permalink)
    post a screen shot of "Device Manager"

Tom

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/07 05:25:43 (permalink)
    Fog

I just like an easy life, that sound card is discontinued also? . the driver should pick up in windows regardless *IF* it's finding the right chipset on that card.

A Ti based card would fix the issue and be found.. instead of using some consumer grade firewire chipset that's for hooking up an external drive / camera to. how much is that Ti interface, $50 or something.. so not gonna break the bank.

it reminds me of my friend abroad who raved on about RME card, and top end MOBO.. RME card was great (and yer he's german, so slightly biased anyway hehe) .. anyway in his case his "top end mobo", firewire I told him to replace the firewire.. and it worked .. it only took him 2 days of wasted to realise I was talking sense

I'm surprised TC haven't suggested that.. 

speccy should tell you the chipsets hopefully

http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/

Yes, firewire is made for completely different devices, that can be bursted in chunks. It's not made for continuous realtime data at all.

And the drivers I tested was poorly written in the sense that it does not allow for less data and cpu consumption using less of the inputs/outputs. If you have to transport 10 input plus 10 inputs all the time, whether they are used or not - it's a waste of cpu. The drivers ran 4500 context switches per second, and that is a lot comparing to anything going on in computer. Overall 7% of new i7-computer just keeping audio up. This was just turning the soundcard module on.

I found the connectors very poor design, very long contact surfaces and slight bend caused instability in stream.

Your RME story I did not understand the point of at all. He had an RME card he was happy with and you told him to change firewire card? Was RME card firewire and not internal soundcard, or?

I went RME internal card and are not looking back for firewire anything. Any host in future will have RME or Lynx internal cards. I want to focus on music and not technology failing me.

cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/07 11:51:09 (permalink)
    cyphersuit
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/07 11:59:51 (permalink)
    first firewire is tc electronic second is onboard didn't manage to embed the image here. edit: connecting my tc electronic to the motherboard (instead of the pci express card) strangely seems to have bettered everything. watch this space :)
    DeeringAmps
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/07 12:14:17 (permalink)
    I'm just guessing here, but I think that you want

"OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt)"

Again just guessing but I think the top listing on the "Gerate-Manger" page is the mother board firewire.
    The second listing would then be the PCI-e VIA board (it says VIA, right?)
    Now update the driver for that to the "OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt)" just like you did the upper one.

IF TC says a VIA chip set set to Legacy (it looks like the German Win 7 lists it as (alt) will work you should be good to go.
    If that doesn't work get a TI board.

HTH,
    Tom

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    Fog
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/07 12:54:25 (permalink)
    lfm
    Your RME story I did not understand the point of at all. He had an RME card he was happy with and you told him to change firewire card? Was RME card firewire and not internal soundcard, or? 

I went RME internal card and are not looking back for firewire anything. Any host in future will have RME or Lynx internal cards. I want to focus on music and not technology failing me.

my point with the RME story is he had a great card.. and a decent enough mobo BUT the firewire chipset on that card was crud.. *THATS* what was letting him down, with everything.. instead of messing around for days and getting nowhere he could have just bought the Ti card, and got on with music making.

he didn't like to tell me that I was right about it about it 2 days earlier... as he was so SURE prevoiusly and well I wasn't telling him it for the sake of telling him.

I'm assuming if a Ti Card will perhaps mention it's make mode in the device manager sig? 

I don't use firewire, I either use pci or usb , but well the OP either needs to sort out a Ti card or ditch that interface altogether.. been there , done that, got the t-shirt with my dsp factory in the past.

DeeringAmps
    Re:HELP! Can someone send me the firewire legacy driver for Win7? 2012/03/07 13:08:32 (permalink)
    The TI chipset shows up like this

You then have to update the driver to "Legacy" if your interface does not have Win 7 firewire compatible drivers...

Tom

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1