HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted

Author
mikespitzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
2011/09/13 18:26:58 (permalink)

HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted

We just posted a YouTube video for our latest tune ....... HOLY WARS Song and subject matter is a bit on heavy side. Tech details -- this was originally recorded "semi-live" on only 8 track analog tape machine. Transferred to SONAR to add vocals and mix. Unfortunately being taped "live" on only 8 tracks meant drums were captured in stereo on the original recording, thus limiting flexibility later on in terms of EQ or levels of certain kit pieces. But in it's own "doom and gloom" way, it kind of worked OK. This is one of the last 3 older materials we had done this way to be transferred - future projects can be started inside SONAR from the beginning But I think the message still gets across ...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E280am1ywaA

6 Replies Related Threads

zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted 2011/09/14 06:13:07 (permalink)
    Nice work Mike.
    Can't really detect any of the "tech limitations" you describe in the audio.  Sounds very pro, and it's clear you and your team put a lot of time into developing the piece.
    -j
    mikespitzer
    Re:HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted 2011/09/14 06:20:25 (permalink)
    zgraf ---------- Thanks for the comment ------------ We felt the drums were a bit "boxy" -------------- But trying to EQ that out on the whole kit made things worse. ----------------- So as they exist they have more of that old school live sound than the tight modern metal "clicky" drums that are popular today. --------------- But one of the guys felt this added to the heavy, plodding feel. -------------- I think sometimes when you work on something for so long and hear it so often between writing, rehearsing, recording, mixing ........ your "ear" changes for that particular piece and you lose the ability to be objective.------------------ For example .. albums from famous pros I listened to when I was younger sound different to me today. ------------ I listen to them today and for example say to myself ..... "Hmmmm.. I used to think this album was heavy when I first heard it, but the guitars are actually buzzy and fuzzy and the drums are weak like a cereal box being hit with a rubber eraser .. why did I not hear that 25 years ago ??? " --------------
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted 2011/09/14 07:08:58 (permalink)

Mike, this is a stunning piece of work.

The performances and mix are both top drawer, the lyrics are intelligent and well thought out, and the video complements the song perfectly.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

jeckwills
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted 2011/09/14 07:14:40 (permalink)
    Well, This is really great Songs and really enjoy with video. Thanks.
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted 2011/09/14 20:31:31 (permalink)
    Terrific work.  Great performances, production, lyrics, and appropriate video.
    It has a wee bit of an Iron Butterfly feel to it (at least to me).
    Nice one.

Freddy J
    mikespitzer
    Re:HOLY WARS -- an new song / video we just posted 2011/09/14 22:12:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments gang -------------- Iron Butterfly ??? ----------------- Maybe it is the singer's voice, now that you mention it I can hear a similarity in the vocals.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1