HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2011/01/10 16:06:02 (permalink)

HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs

in short, i want to bounce all of my midi data, down to individual tracks for each piece of kit.

i currently have output to a single stereo track, and am mixing in the superior mixer.

i want to keep the processing i already have in place in the superior mixer (eq's, compressors, etc) and have THAT sound for each piece of the kit, bounced down to individual tracks.

i want to free up my memory on playback, as i'm getting glitches playing in real time on a couple of my songs i'm working on.

i sort of understand the principle of 'FREEZE', tho i have not used that yet.
i'd rather have my final drum arrangements committed to individual tracks of audio, to help tweak the final mix, and also for archiving purposes.

help! Please!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

9 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 16:18:41 (permalink)
    If you're looking to separate each drum to it's own audio track, you've gone too far.
    You'll need to set up SD to use the 'multi-out' feature, sending the outputs to 16 outs (or 8 if you don't want the busses) and set the FX for each output.  Then you'll need to highlight the MIDI and respective Synth Out and Bounce To Track. 
    That's a lot of work, so you might want to try the Freeze function until you've completed everything else in your project.  Then, un-freeze the SD and tweak the levels.
    But for archiving audio for individual drums, you'll need to use multi-out.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    batsbrew
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 16:56:37 (permalink)
    that's what i was afraid of....

so........

if i output to multi outs now, and set the individual channels in sonar flat and at unity gain, will the output from superior's mixer, also include all the processing i've already done in that mixer?

if so, that's pretty much what i want.
    i want the bounce to track, to include the eq and compression (and panning, if possible) that's already been done in the superior mixer, to translate to wav during the bounce.

everything's completed now....
    i'm doing final mixes.

thanks for the reply!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 17:15:31 (permalink)
    gonzo - slug's right - and personally I bounce all of my midi down to audio and I do my mixing in the audio realm only.  but when I got Superior with all those outputs, it was too much work.  FREEZE became my best friend for SD2.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    batsbrew
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 17:30:00 (permalink)
    so what does freeze do?

and if i want to commit the drums to audio for archiving, am i going to have to settle for a simple 'bounce to track' with a single stereo track?

i mean, the superior mixer is pretty bad-ass....
    and i like the sound of the sonnox

but i'm thinking that final mixes and burns with pure audio, might relieve some stress on my cpu.

if i could take my snare tracks, for example, which have the most processing on them, and bounce them to audio so they sound JUST like they do now on playback thru the synth rack, i'd be happy.

but yeah, everything i've got is doubling back thru half a dozen sub busses, then the master, then out to sonar, so it's a lot of work to 're-mix' all that stuff if i bounce it to audio....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 17:31:01 (permalink)
    and WHERE do i freeze?

in the synth rack, where the little snowflake is?

i've never done this before.......

virgin.

LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Slugbaby
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 17:50:07 (permalink)
    Yes, the snowflake icon in the synth rack is to freeze it.  Essentially it locks up the synth, so it uses less RAM (similar to creating a temp WAV file).  You can later un-freeze it (button next to the snowflake) to make changes.
    You could try changing the synth setup to multi-out.  I'd do it by saving your current SD setup as a kit, with all the FX and settings firm.  Then delete SD from your current project (only the synth, keep the midi track).  Add a new SD synth, and when you get the option for single output or multi, choose multi.
    Then open the synth, and open it to your pre-set kit with all the FX ready.  You should just be able to change the track outputs (in the SD GUI) to correspond to the sonar tracks, eg. all the kicks go to track 1, the snares to track 2, etc.
    Once you've got that set up, just highlight the midi track and each Synth Out, and Bounce to Track.
    That SHOULD give you separate audio drum tracks for archiving.
    WARNING:  Try it, but save your original project as a backup in case it doesn't work.

For the record, I always start with the multi-out version, and bounce the midi to audio after recording everything, but before starting the mix.  Then I delete the synth and archive the midi track.
    It's just a comfort level, and retains the audio for backup with the MIDI for when I change my mind.

Virgin?  SL.UT?  Doubt it.

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    batsbrew
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 18:25:31 (permalink)
    heheh

yep, sl.ut

ok, that's a plan i can try right away....
    i'll save the kit, and the settings, in the master settings in the SD gui

and see what happens.

i thought about doing the multi to start with (that's what i did in EZDrummer) but like beagle said, the superior is a lot more complicated, AND, i like the mixer in superior.

plus, i make constant changes to my drum track, AS i go thru the mixing process, so i don't want to bounce until i'm thru editing midi.

thanks guys, this helps a lot

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 18:47:38 (permalink)
    matt's got ya covered - basically freeze physically does the same thing as bouncing but it's easily reversible.  you can unfreeze if you decide to edit something again.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Slugbaby
    Re:HOW: to bounce Superior drum tracks from synth rack down to actual individual wavs 2011/01/10 19:15:27 (permalink)
    batsbrew

i thought about doing the multi to start with (that's what i did in EZDrummer) but like beagle said, the superior is a lot more complicated, AND, i like the mixer in superior.

plus, i make constant changes to my drum track, AS i go thru the mixing process, so i don't want to bounce until i'm thru editing midi.

thanks guys, this helps a lot
    I did the exact opposite when I upgraded to Superior Drummer.  The number of SD Busses and routing options confused me, so I got a basic micing setup, with each mic routed to an 8-output setup, a touch of EQ and compression where needed, shut off all SD busses, saved it once and now I don't touch it.  I still do most of the adjusting in Sonar once i've got the midi data programmed.
    I've found Freezing to be good while I'm recording as I still make changes, but once it's in the mixing stage i force myself to use the notes i've committed to.  Otherwise I'd never finish anything.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1