HP Envy Touchsmart M7-J178CA Help Please & Much Thanks!

Author
Chumer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 55
2014/04/13 12:04:23 (permalink)

HP Envy Touchsmart M7-J178CA Help Please & Much Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I just bought me an HP Envy Touchsmart laptop model M7-J178CA for $1199.99 at Best Buy Canada (plus taxes) and I intend to use it with Cakewalk Sonar X3 (as well as other music software). I'm still going to buy a tower-style PC (in the next month) for my home studio but I really like the idea of being able to record and edit in the box wherever I may be.

Screen Size  17.3 in
Native Screen Resolution  1920 x 1080
LED Backlit Display  Yes
Touchscreen Display  Yes
3D Capable Display  No
Processor Type  Intel Core i7 4700MQ
Processor Cores  4
Processor Speed  2.4 GHz
Hard Drive Capacity  1 TB (Hybrid Hard Drive)
Hard Drive Speed 5400 rpm
SSD Function  Not Applicable
id-State Hybrid Drive  No
RAM Size  16 GB
RAM Type  DDR3L SDRAM
RAM Slots  2
Optical Drive  SuperMulti DVD Burner
Built-in Memory Card Reader  Yes
Memory Card Reader - Compatible Memory Type  SD Cards
Graphics Chipset  NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics
Video Memory Configuration  Dedicated
Dedicated Video Memory Size  2 GB
Wireless Display (WiDi) Capable  Yes
Speaker Wattage  Beats Audio
Integrated Microphone  Yes
Microphone Input  Yes
Webcam  Yes
Keyboard Language  Bilingual
Numeric Keypad  Yes
Backlit Keyboard  Yes
Type of Pointing Device  Clickpad
USB 2.0 Ports  0
USB 3.0 Ports  4
VGA Output  No
HDMI Output  Yes
HDCP Compliant  Yes
IEEE 1394 Input/Output  No
eSATA Port  No
ExpressCard/34 Input  No
ExpressCard/54 Input  No
IR Receiver  No
Other Input or Output Ports  HP Protectsmart Hard Drive Protection; HP Simplepass With Integrated Fingerprint Reader; 1 Supporting USB Boost; 1 Headphone-Out/Microphone-In Combo Jack
Ethernet Port  10/100/1000
Integrated Wi-Fi  802.11ac
Integrated Bluetooth  Yes
Approximate Battery Life  Information Not Available
Battery Type  Lithium-Ion
Battery - Number of Cells  6
Battery - Capacity  2800 mAh
Energy Star Qualified  Yes
Pre-loaded Operating System  Windows 8.1
Operating System Language  Bilingual
Loaded Software  Pinger; Skype; HP Support Assistant; CyberLink PowerDirector

As indicated above, it comes with a one 1 TB hybrid drive and I figure it's going to work best with the addition of an SSD (or maybe two). I could remove the optical drive thus giving me three internal bays in total (at least I believe I can correct me if I am wrong).

My thinking is to use the existing 1 TB hybrid drive for the OS, applications & plug-ins and one SSD for sample libraries and audio projects. But perhaps I would be better off with the existing 1 TB hybrid drive plus two SSD's making a total of three drives. On the other hand some people feel a single SSD is so good now that it's best to simply use one big SSD and eschew more than one drive altogether.  Check out the Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB or the new Crucial M500 1 TB below.

Drive configuration options (including the argument for a single large SSD) http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=117456

Samsung 840 EVO vs. Crucial M500 http://techreport.com/rev...vs-samsung-840-evo-1tb

Questions:

1) Will the HP model M7-J178CA do a good job?

2) What would be the best way to configure it in terms of additional internal drives?

3) I feel the HP model M7-J178CA represents really good value and so far it runs beautifully, however it's still on it's 30 day return policy so I'm not obligated to keep it, however I do not want to turn this whole ordeal into a career, especially in light of the fact that I'll still be buying a tower-style PC (in the next month) for my home studio but I really like the idea of being able to record and edit in the box wherever I may be. Thoughts?

4) It seems I may need an adapter kit for the SSD's, and the one listed following appears to be a good bet (again I am open to suggestions). However it might be that I only need the rubber rails (if even that) and not need the SATA Cable / connector, I am not sure.  It depends I guess if this cable is intended to allow the SSD to connect to the internal SATA port of the laptop, or if it's intended to connect the SSD to USB so as to allow data transfer.  Note that I already have a Thermalake 2.5 /3.5 HDD USB docking station, so I would not need a USB to SATA adapter for data transfer.  http://www.newmodeus.com/...fo&products_id=542

Very much thanks for all your help!
post edited by Chumer - 2014/04/13 12:07:30

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1