HP Support Assistant

Author
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2016/07/09 08:49:27 (permalink)

HP Support Assistant

Hi

I have a new HP all in one, 6th gen i7, 16GB RAM which is working great with Sonar. I know it may be a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but is there any point to the HP Support Assistant? Any downside to uninstalling?

10 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/09 10:02:23 (permalink)
    If it affects your ability to record music in any way, then definitely uninstall it.

Otherwise, it's really up to you.  Some folks rely on these tech support tools. 

Personally, I would remove it (But as a former IT guy, I do my own PC troubleshooting so have no use for the manufacturer-provided help tools).  Of course, if you feel like you might need it down the road, probably best to leave it alone.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/09 13:25:54 (permalink)
    I would disable it so it doesn't start/load when you boot up.  Then if you ever need it you can manually start it.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Marshall
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 602
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/10 11:00:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input. It doesn't affect my ability to record music, so I'll leave it alone for now. I was just wondering if this is just unnecessary bloat ware. I've not had an HP PC before and my previous machines have not had any form of 'brand' support preloaded.
    denverdrummer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/12 18:14:33 (permalink)
    Support Assistant should not affect your ability to record.  I think it's a good tool in that it will let you know when new drivers, BIOS/UEFI updates are available for your system.  You can choose whether or not to install them, but at least it lets you know.  Otherwise you would have to version track those on your own.

It's my opinion in that you should always keep BIOS/UEFI and system drivers up to date, as it will help keep your system running problem free.  Obviously there can be bugs in these newer versions, but generally HP is pretty good at their SQA testing before releasing updates and drivers.

There are some settings for how Support Assistant notifies you of updates, I've never had a notification cause a problem while recording, but you can change those notification setting without turning it off completely.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/18 23:52:58 (permalink)
    I literally just spent several hours configuring my friend's new HP laptop today, running Windows 10.

In MY opinion, software that runs all day long to check for updates for things like BIOS, that may get updated 2 or 3 times in an entire year is just annoying, rather than helpful.  

On initial build or buy of a computer, I will fairly immediately check for things like BIOS updates, chipset updates, and such, as there are almost always updates between board manufacture and my purchase of it.  From that point on, I manually check for any updates to all of those pieces ONCE every quarter, or if I find myself experiencing issues, and I NEVER allow these auto-update checker programs to run on every boot.  

I also never allow programs like Avast, which IS an excellent antivirus program, to do any thing like running its 'Software Updater', which attempts to keep all your system components up to date for updates.  I have seen WAY too many cases where it just failed to find a need update, OR it found the WRONG software.

Anyways, I saw that HP Software Assistant, or whatever it is called, and after reviewing it, I completely removed it from my friend's system.  Microsoft Office by default also fires up stuff, like One Drive, or One Note, or whatever - I think of all of that stuff as being like some sort of Kum-Bah-Yah software that tries to make everyone happy, at the expense of everyone's happiness.

I would ALWAYS prefer to run more lean, and do not mind having the discipline to manually check for updates on a quarterly basis.  I DO make an exception for Windows Update maintenance, which I DO allow to run per its recommended settings, and since Avast is actually running by default/design, I don't mind it checking for new program versions and grabbing its virus definitions as needed.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/19 01:01:12 (permalink)
    For my office computer I don't worry to much,, but on my DAW I'm with Bob... I spend time looking for anything useless that is running in the background and killl it dead. I build my own computers just to aviod bloatware. But just about everything you intall like printers and even monitors for crap sake seem to want you to keep in touch.. not on my DAW..I want every last CPU for that and that only. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/20 16:03:42 (permalink)
    Mine hasn't worked for at least two years but after the Windows 10 update last week... it started working again. Weird. It's on my laptop and it doesn't bother me. I guess I should check to see if MS changed anything else.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/24 16:25:59 (permalink)
    jbow
    Mine hasn't worked for at least two years but after the Windows 10 update last week... it started working again. Weird. It's on my laptop and it doesn't bother me. I guess I should check to see if MS changed anything else.

J

That's because they have made drivers for W10.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    VanessaJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/27 02:59:07 (permalink)
    I'm with you guys ... I go on search-and-destroy missions for any and all bloatware running in the background. If it doesn't help keep my PC secure or work with Sonar, it gets disabled or uninstalled.
    Excluding necessary system drivers, obviously ...

Helps me to run a lot of tracks at lower latency settings.

I will say that I'm looking at the PCs built by PC Audio Labs (based in Tenn.) for my next purchase. They are one of those companies that streamlines PCs specifically for music (and video) production. They strip down all the unnecessary bloatware and substitute it all with high-performance hardware. They aren't cheap, though

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart" ~ Confucius

Sonar Platinum;  Windows 10, 16gb RAM;  Mackie Onyx Blackbird FW Interface;  4 Keyboards, 2 Native American flutes, 7 guitars, several pedals, a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, some mics, some B/W posters, a roll-y foot massager, partridge in a pear tree (and lotsa' other cool sh*t  )
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: HP Support Assistant 2016/07/27 07:39:38 (permalink)
    You need to speak to Jim Rosenberg

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1