HS6 recording

Author
bcarbox
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2010/08/03 10:47:28 (permalink)

HS6 recording

I use a Yamaha MM6 -M-Audio Fast Track Pro - Cakewalk HS6

- i can record with no problem from my keyboard. When trying to record a 2nd track is where i'm stuck.

here are the steps in order that i do...

1- record (no problem)
2- playback (here where the problem starts) i can hear the play back, but only if i hit the "A/B" button on the interface.
3- record a 2nd track ...in order to record a 2nd track i have to be able to hear the 1st track. However, the "A/B" will only allow me to either hear the already recorded playback or what i am playing at the time.... Not both at the same time.

I doubt I am explaining this correctly... any ideas?

10 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/04 09:53:49 (permalink)
    are you recording MIDI or AUDIO?
    which driver mode are you using?
    how are you monitoring?  thru the fast track pro or from your onboard soundcard/comptuer speakers?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bcarbox
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/07 19:44:25 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle - thanks for replying.

I am trying to record audio
    I had to check and double check..says ASIO
    i have speakers...

I have the keyboard connected to the fast track pro and speakers plugged into fast track pro

did i say any of that right?
    thanks...really

Beagle

are you recording MIDI or AUDIO?
    which driver mode are you using?
    how are you monitoring?  thru the fast track pro or from your onboard soundcard/comptuer speakers?

Beagle
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/08 17:40:46 (permalink)
    2- playback (here where the problem starts) i can hear the play back, but only if i hit the "A/B" button on the interface.

where EXACTLY do you have your speakers connected?  this statement would make me think you have them connected to the 3/4 RCA connections on the back instead of the 1/2.

bcarbox
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/09 13:24:27 (permalink)

I have the speakers plugged into the headphone jack...is that wrong?
    Beagle
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/09 13:53:21 (permalink)
    I don't know what the output of the headphones is connected to, but you shouldn't have the speakers plugged into the headphones for other reasons - the headphone output is amplified for headphones and your speakers (if they are computer speakers) are amplified as well.  

plug the speakers into the outputs on the back either the 1/4" or the RCA outputs 1/2.  you may have to get an adapter for that to work.  see if that works

bcarbox
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/11 12:55:25 (permalink)

You are really helpful, and I have read a lot of your posts over the last few months. I have actually had this software a long time and still have never figured it out lol...I'm an idiot, and I know it

I have played around a lot with the knobs, switches, settings, etc.....so, for the hardware/software for the M-Audio fast track Pro. 

Here is the setup I have ...exactly. 

I am using a pair of M-Audio desktop speakers plugged in as pictured below. The USB cable is connected to my PC

On the front of the digital interface I have the keyboard (Yamaha MM6) connected. 

I have had so many issues just trying to get to step #1 with this digital recording stuff, that it’s driving me crazy lol…I have not asked a lot of questions on this message board because I know I am actually supposed to contribute something to it. But what?

Anyway…95% of the time that I actually try to record here is what happens…

I will set it up and open a “new” project. As soon as I hit the “R” record button the meters shoot up as if I was playing. If I hit one key on my keyboard it blasts it. When I first installed cakewalk, I don’t believe this happened and I have tried to figure out what I have done.
    Pictured below is the meter just after I hit the record button. I am playing nothing during this time.

post edited by bcarbox - 2010/08/11 13:08:29
    Beagle
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/11 13:23:57 (permalink)
    first, you're not an idiot, just a newb trying to figure out how to record - even I was there at one time! :-)

2nd - no, you're not expected to contribute if you don't know enough.  just contribute to your level of understanding.  ask questions if you have problems.  read the help files - no worries.

looks like you have things connected correctly.  the meters running up without you playing anything doesn't look right, we'll have to do some troubleshooting to figure out the problem.  first, I would make sure that you have the buttons set correctly on the front of the m-audio fast track.  you probably need the INSTRUMENT setting and maybe the PAD on - but I don't know the exact output level of the MM6.  you might need to set it to LINE level and put the PAD on.  if either of those settings makes the input too LOW, then take the PAD OFF.

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/11 17:40:04 (permalink)
    Make sure you turn the phantom power off unless you have a condenser mic plugged in.

Looks like you have the gain turned up pretty high too.

Also: check the M-Audio Control Panel (software). You may have the routing wrong and you're getting feedback.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/12 02:58:59 (permalink)
    +1 To what Dave says.

According to the pictures, as far as I can see, you have phantom power on.  It shouldn't be.

Not knowing Fast Track and its software: Does it matter that you have plugged in stereo from your keyboard (1&2), but it seems the Fast Track is set to Mono (or is that only for output?)

Do you have the MM6 connected with USB to the computer? If so, what does MM6 manual say about the USB connection? There's two options: "USB to host" and "USB to device". Could they have anything to do with the problem, have you tried?

Getting a constant signal like shown in you level meter makes me think of a routing problem or a broken cable. Such a signal should be audible, too. Is it a hum or distortion or..

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    bcarbox
    Re:HS6 recording 2010/08/15 23:42:12 (permalink)
    I want to thank all 3 of you guys for your advice. I basically read everything you guys said to do/check and did baby steps from there. I've had this software for a long time and for the very 1st time, I can record. Hear it playback. Record a 2nd track. Hear it play back etc... There is so much to learn about recording : getting connected correctly lol...using the software, recording clearly, the terminology and what it all means. I find myself trying to learn more than I play. I know that HS6 is not the best software out there, but I have heard some pretty good stuff from people who use it. Beagle : you have some really good stuff, and I enjoy listening to it. I read over the info on your webpages, too. Lots of helpful stuff there.

Thanks so much guys, I really do appreciate it! 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1