HUI control support for Novation Launchkey Products

Author
Starscream67
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2015/05/02 09:57:43 (permalink)
1 (1)

HUI control support for Novation Launchkey Products

Has no one requested HUI control support for Novation Launchkey series? I did a search but nothing came up.

I've been using Cakewalk software since Cakewalk 9 and Sonar 4, I would hate to change products after 14 loyal years, but I really want software to work with my new favourite midi controller - assuming its actually possible.

I'm currently at the crossroads of upgrading from X3 Producer to Sonar Platium or bailing out for Ableton Live 9.

4 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: HUI control support for Novation Launchkey Products 2015/05/02 11:50:26 (permalink)
    Launchkey has no display nor motor faders. It does not really has any Mackie buttons. So, how you think HUI can help you?

Your favorite midi controller producer has designed it for Ableton and no longer count Sonar as a "major music software".

Not that it is not possible to integrate it into Sonar on the same level as it has with Ableton, but that does not work out of the box.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Starscream67
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: HUI control support for Novation Launchkey Products 2015/05/02 12:54:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

Launchkey works with other software products, not just Ableton. I guess I was hoping Sonar would get added to the list in future so I wouldn't have to switch software.

But it never hurts to ask questions so people can make informed decisions.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: HUI control support for Novation Launchkey Products 2015/05/02 14:43:12 (permalink)
    In case you have understood me wrong (which I assume from your answer).

You can use Launchkey with Sonar in many different ways, inclusive when it is in "HUI" (or any other) mode. Now, not in the future.

But since Novation is not providing Sonar solution in the box (as they did with Automap devices), it is not working out of the box. You have to configure it yourself. 1-2 hours of your time at most, in case of not complicated setup. More in case you want pads indicate something special with colors of your choice or other fancy staff. For in the box future you better ask Novation, it is up to them what they "pack" with devices.

HUI is just a (not published) version of Mackie mapping used on Mackie HUI device. HUI device is discontinued long time ago. Sonar itself support MCU protocol (published), which is the native mapping of modern Mackie devices. But any other mapping can be used as well. Simple operations are available throw ACT MIDI and Generic Surface plug-ins, "whatever you can imagine" operations are supported by my plug-in and in case you still prefer more, there is open source SDK with MCU/VS-X00 sources included as an example.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    cankirca
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: HUI control support for Novation Launchkey Products 2015/06/14 12:57:08 (permalink)
    azslow3
    In case you have understood me wrong (which I assume from your answer).

You can use Launchkey with Sonar in many different ways, inclusive when it is in "HUI" (or any other) mode. Now, not in the future.

But since Novation is not providing Sonar solution in the box (as they did with Automap devices), it is not working out of the box. You have to configure it yourself. 1-2 hours of your time at most, in case of not complicated setup. More in case you want pads indicate something special with colors of your choice or other fancy staff. For in the box future you better ask Novation, it is up to them what they "pack" with devices.

HUI is just a (not published) version of Mackie mapping used on Mackie HUI device. HUI device is discontinued long time ago. Sonar itself support MCU protocol (published), which is the native mapping of modern Mackie devices. But any other mapping can be used as well. Simple operations are available throw ACT MIDI and Generic Surface plug-ins, "whatever you can imagine" operations are supported by my plug-in and in case you still prefer more, there is open source SDK with MCU/VS-X00 sources included as an example.

Is there a way to use Novation nobs and faders with Sonar?
    Regards.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1