HUSH !! --------------->

Author
Toystein
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
2005/03/08 10:28:19 (permalink)

HUSH !! --------------->

I recently upgraded to Sonar 4.0 and I'm really happy with it. I also changed alliances in the CPU department. I upgraded my Intel P4 for the Athalon 64+3000 -- what a great processor, I'm surprised. My previous setup was full of little bugs, but now I'm hiccup free. I'm so happy!

This song (as ususual) has a simple structure. I used a C1 on the vocals and a sennheiser 421 on the doubles / backups. I'm wondering who can guess what's wrong with the guitars...

This song was hard to mix. I wanted the low end to really stand out and I think I nailed it, but who knows, I don't exactly have the best of monitoring setups. The lows are always the hardest for me.

Well.. If you have the time let me know what you think.

Thanks

21 Replies Related Threads

rodman1971
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 11:07:16 (permalink)
    Well, here goes my first foray into giving my $.02, which is exactly what my opinion is worth at the moment being that I'm very new to this recording thing. However, as someone who's been playing and listening to all sorts of music for a long time I have to applaud your efforts. I actually listened to every one of your songs on Soundclick - I'm still humming the "Me & My Radio" melody. Your songs are very catchy. Production wise, Me and My Radio Hush are super clean. Being that I'm still a novice and learning how to record and arrange music that's all I can offer - nothing sounds off to me. Have you heard of Badly Drawn Boy? Your stuff reminds me alot of his - cool stories wrapped inside catchy melodies. I heard a bit of the Pet Shop Boys in Hush as well. Anyway, whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.
    Elepha3
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 12:56:51 (permalink)
    Wow...i must say you've got something really good going!!
    I'm very impressed.
    I tood rodman's advice and listened me and my Radio....Awesome tune. Love it!!
    A little bit of Wilco, maybe???
    Whatever it is--it works.
    Keep 'em coming, i'll be listening!!
    Jason

Edit: I just listened to a few other....i just had to say that i really dig this stuff...
    Again, good job!!
    post edited by Elepha3 - 2005/03/08 13:27:40
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 13:28:58 (permalink)
    Toy, another great song. It does have a nice fullness the low end without being muddy. If there's something wrong with the guitars, I can't hear - just sounds great. Structure-wise I'm wondering about the repeat of the chant/rap bit at 1:17 again at 2:48; it looses it's uniqueness - maybe change what's said - granted what's there fits perfectly with the rhythm.

Say, what sound card do you use with you new system? And, do you use UAD-1 cards?
    DSomething
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 15:51:19 (permalink)
    Wow, this is good ol fun music!. Usually I don't like so much effect on the vocals but it definitley works here! I really dig the delay you have on them. I think I hear some "Cake" in this tune. And I listened to "Hush". I'm trying to hear what could be wrong with the guitars but can't hear anything yet. Are the guitars coming out of only the right side? They sound right heavy. Is that it? Did I win the prize?
    NC2
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 20:15:42 (permalink)
    Very impressive! Clever lyrics, catchy. Intersting, original sounds and songs. I listened to HUSH on my crumby speakers on my home PC (need to get some new ones). I am gonna give it a listen on my studio monitors, and maybe offer some mix advice. But right now I think the song is perfect, and I can't hear anything off with the mix. Very WELL DONE!
    post edited by NC2 - 2005/03/08 20:16:25

I record & compose with my brothers. Give a LISTEN here. Studio set-up in my profile. Visit My BLOG.
    Telecaster
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 21:16:43 (permalink)
    Hey Toy,

That is another excellent song from you, haven't you got enough for a CD yet?

I am going to buy it no doubt about that, keep it up.

Mike

Cheers
    Mike
    PC I7 3770k, 16Gb ram build to Jim Roseberry specs.
    Sonar X3 PE, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , Edirol PCR-800.
    Snouter
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/08 23:14:05 (permalink)
    Cool little song. As said the vocals effects are very tasteful and fit the song nicely.

Just for your information, I have my PC hooked up to an old 55watt stereo and some Bose bookshelf speakers and I think the botton end needs some more boost. (When I hit the loudness button the bass sounds come through.)
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 00:45:34 (permalink)
    Listened to "Hush." Real impressed. Very good job on
    production and musicianship. Also liked the bass mix.
    The only thing I didn't care for was the ending.... I feel
    it takes away from the positives of the song, but it's only
    my own opinion... if you like the ending keep it, because
    being original when writing an original is what it's all about.
    Song is creative and original. Liked it.

Also listened to "Me & My Radio." Again, good job. You are
    a very talented person. Keep sharing your tunes with us,
    it was an enjoyable listening experience.

Pluto
    post edited by pluto - 2005/03/09 00:46:27
    whyrag88
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 01:20:33 (permalink)
    I think it would be cool if you added a keyboard Madonna"material girl" type riff in the song here and there... only different notes ya know.. just a thought.. Having fun though.. Love hearing new stuff !

http://soundclick.com/garylong Click on mp3 to download. Alot better quality sound than lo-fi stream.

Also, check out some streaming live video's of some of my songs if you want to at www.whyrag.com
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 12:36:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rodman1971

Well, here goes my first foray into giving my $.02, which is exactly what my opinion is worth at the moment being that I'm very new to this recording thing. However, as someone who's been playing and listening to all sorts of music for a long time I have to applaud your efforts. I actually listened to every one of your songs on Soundclick - I'm still humming the "Me & My Radio" melody. Your songs are very catchy. Production wise, Me and My Radio Hush are super clean. Being that I'm still a novice and learning how to record and arrange music that's all I can offer - nothing sounds off to me. Have you heard of Badly Drawn Boy? Your stuff reminds me alot of his - cool stories wrapped inside catchy melodies. I heard a bit of the Pet Shop Boys in Hush as well. Anyway, whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.

thanks for the comments rodman.

Good luck on your efforts with recording. Disregard any frustration and learn as much as you can. There is tons of information in the sonar technical group as well as hundereds of articles online. Check out www.recordingeq.com - they have a wealth of information on the really important concepts. like compression, eq and mixing. Just do a google search on the topics you have questions about.

Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 12:41:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Elepha3

Wow...i must say you've got something really good going!!
    I'm very impressed.
    I tood rodman's advice and listened me and my Radio....Awesome tune. Love it!!
    A little bit of Wilco, maybe???
    Whatever it is--it works.
    Keep 'em coming, i'll be listening!!
    Jason

Edit: I just listened to a few other....i just had to say that i really dig this stuff...
    Again, good job!!

I'm glad you liked the tunes. I appretiate the interest in the other tunes. I've never heard Wilco, I'll have to check them out.
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 12:48:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Toy, another great song. It does have a nice fullness the low end without being muddy. If there's something wrong with the guitars, I can't hear - just sounds great. Structure-wise I'm wondering about the repeat of the chant/rap bit at 1:17 again at 2:48; it looses it's uniqueness - maybe change what's said - granted what's there fits perfectly with the rhythm.

Say, what sound card do you use with you new system? And, do you use UAD-1 cards?

Thanks Ed, on the repetitiveness I agree, I just didn't have anything else left for this tune. I'm cramming a lot of words in this one. I usually like to mix it up.

I've been using the same sound card for a couple of years now. It's the MOTU 2408 MKII with the PCI-324 card. I love Motu. I have a pretty good setup going on here as far as converters. The MOTU has great converters and my board a Tascam DM-24 is excellent as well. These two devices are just excellent together due to the TDIF connections. Absolutely made for each other. The only problem I seem to have is when I'm setting up a new installation. The MOTU drivers are just horrid! I hear the PCI-424 is much better, but I can't upgrade at the moment. I jus pent a lat of monee.

Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 12:52:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DSomething

Wow, this is good ol fun music!. Usually I don't like so much effect on the vocals but it definitley works here! I really dig the delay you have on them. I think I hear some "Cake" in this tune. And I listened to "Hush". I'm trying to hear what could be wrong with the guitars but can't hear anything yet. Are the guitars coming out of only the right side? They sound right heavy. Is that it? Did I win the prize?

I don't usually like a lot of effect on vocals as well, but I felt the nature of the song needed it. I liked that talk back thing, it definitely fit with the lyrics IMO. The guitars are more left heavy (at least on my system) - A clue... they are a bit thin sounding eh. No prizes btw. lol
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 12:57:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: NC2

Very impressive! Clever lyrics, catchy. Intersting, original sounds and songs. I listened to HUSH on my crumby speakers on my home PC (need to get some new ones). I am gonna give it a listen on my studio monitors, and maybe offer some mix advice. But right now I think the song is perfect, and I can't hear anything off with the mix. Very WELL DONE!

Thanks NC - I feel that I'm starting to develop my ear more and more. It takes a while, a long while actually. Still learning. Glad you liked it. Thanks again.
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 13:00:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Telecaster

Hey Toy,

That is another excellent song from you, haven't you got enough for a CD yet?

I am going to buy it no doubt about that, keep it up.

Mike

Hey tele - I've got about 60 minutes of music that I'm putting on a CD, when it's done I'll definitely let you know. I'm about two month out. As an artist, it's going to be a long overdue accomplishment. A cleaning of the closet of sorts. thanks for your support, it means a lot to me. Thanks!
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 13:02:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Snouter

Cool little song. As said the vocals effects are very tasteful and fit the song nicely.

Just for your information, I have my PC hooked up to an old 55watt stereo and some Bose bookshelf speakers and I think the botton end needs some more boost. (When I hit the loudness button the bass sounds come through.)

hmm... i kind of scooped out the mids and had a nice little smiley face EQ. but... I did notch out pretty heavy at 50hz - although that's pretty low for most systems it could explain the missing body in the low. Thanks for the listen.
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 13:10:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pluto

Listened to "Hush." Real impressed. Very good job on
    production and musicianship. Also liked the bass mix.
    The only thing I didn't care for was the ending.... I feel
    it takes away from the positives of the song, but it's only
    my own opinion... if you like the ending keep it, because
    being original when writing an original is what it's all about.
    Song is creative and original. Liked it.

Also listened to "Me & My Radio." Again, good job. You are
    a very talented person. Keep sharing your tunes with us,
    it was an enjoyable listening experience.

Pluto

thanks pluto. My chops have taken a hit since I stopped playing in a band, but I can usually pull it off after a bit of practice. I'm a pretty simple player, I'd say I'm a good bass player, but I doubt I'll ever "really master" the guitar.

The ending of the song is pretty abrupt, I liked the way it echoed out so I just left it -- I have been before that my songs end abruptly, but I just don't like fade outs. Perhaps I'll use them more in upcoming songs.

Thank you for your support, I feel lucky that I can share my music (and listen to others) on the internet. The radio really is too cookie cutter.

Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 13:11:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: whyrag88

I think it would be cool if you added a keyboard Madonna"material girl" type riff in the song here and there... only different notes ya know.. just a thought.. Having fun though.. Love hearing new stuff !

lol -- I'll have to listen to material girl. I just remember "I am a material girl" .. yikes - thanks for the listen and feedback --
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/09 13:13:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Toystein

ORIGINAL: DSomething

The guitars are more left heavy (at least on my system) - A clue... they are a bit thin sounding eh. No prizes btw. lol

A bit too much chorus on the guitar for me. Also, a bit too loud. I actually think they could have been thinner.

GREAT work!
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/10 10:33:30 (permalink)
    hey toystein,
    this song doesn't quite nail it for me like "me and my radio"
    did. and it's mostly compositional. i've listened to it a lot
    and i think i've concluded that the rant just doesn't
    make a good chorus (which is what it's doing structurally
    in the song). to me, the verse is building up to something
    that the rant doesn't quite fulfill ... even with the "nazi
    girls with kinky thrills" line ;-)
    of course, this is all stylistic preference, but i would keep
    the rant as a C using it in the middle to add to the A-B ..
    and come up with a stronger chorus .. with a key change
    up to add energy. that, along with some staccato synth
    fills (ping-pongy in nature) after phrases like "isn't that right" and
    "feels right"... would complete this tune (IMHO). Also, "i'm guilty
    feels right" is rushed.. maybe "guilty but right" or dropping
    "i'm" would sit better?

that's my 2 1/2 cents ;-) it's a cool tune though ... love your stuff.
    jeff
    Toystein
    RE: HUSH !! ---------------> 2005/03/15 13:32:37 (permalink)
    jeff,

yea, its different than me and my radio for sure. I've always liked the verse the best in this song. The rant was a bit of an effort for me to get what I heard in my head on to disk. I can't say I'm totally pleased with it as a chorus either. It was an effort to make it flow.

You have some excellent points regarding the song structure. Every point you bring up is totally true. Thanks for giving me some thoughtful feedback.

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

hey toystein,
    this song doesn't quite nail it for me like "me and my radio"
    did. and it's mostly compositional. i've listened to it a lot
    and i think i've concluded that the rant just doesn't
    make a good chorus (which is what it's doing structurally
    in the song). to me, the verse is building up to something
    that the rant doesn't quite fulfill ... even with the "nazi
    girls with kinky thrills" line ;-)
    of course, this is all stylistic preference, but i would keep
    the rant as a C using it in the middle to add to the A-B ..
    and come up with a stronger chorus .. with a key change
    up to add energy. that, along with some staccato synth
    fills (ping-pongy in nature) after phrases like "isn't that right" and
    "feels right"... would complete this tune (IMHO). Also, "i'm guilty
    feels right" is rushed.. maybe "guilty but right" or dropping
    "i'm" would sit better?

that's my 2 1/2 cents ;-) it's a cool tune though ... love your stuff.
    jeff

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1