Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen

Author
DBerriman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
2011/04/10 01:23:36 (permalink)

Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen

A piece I just learned for a wedding I played today.  I conjured up an arrangement for it and decided to record it.  Is it a keeper or should I shoot for another take?

Hope you enjoy.  Lovin' the piano in X1. 

http://soundcloud.com/david-berriman/hallelujah

Can't get Guitar Rig to show up anywhere though.  Seems to have been lost somehow.

9 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/10 02:20:28 (permalink)
    Hi David,

It always amazes me how misinterpreted this song is. People always requested we play Best Of My Love by The Eagles at weddings too and I never got that either. I did a backing track for a friend of mine who wanted to sing Hallelujah at Church. We ended up doing it as a personal project but I talked him out of singing it at Church. It's certainly not a Church song. :)

I prefer the low end of the Rufus Wainwright version but I don't think it would work playing melody with it. Yours is a really nice rendition nonetheless. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks,

Bub

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/10 02:47:42 (permalink)
    David,

I thought this was a curious, if not seriously inapppropriate, song for a wedding. But then again I assumed you were singing the words. Musically, it works fine as an instramental, especially the way you play it.  A flowing and well articulated performance.

Those of you not familiar with this great song should check out Jeff Buckley's version. It was a stunner in his hands.

This song was on Shrek? 

Cheers,

Bert 

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/10 09:34:42 (permalink)
    great flow and performance- - -     + + + 1
    DBerriman
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/10 14:52:39 (permalink)
    Bub, yes, true.  Not meant as a ceremonial piece, is it?  But people love the song.  They love the words, as much as they know them anyway.  And they love the chorus.  Makes them feel good.  Most people have no idea what it's about or what the songwriter was saying.  There was no singing, rest assured.  I played it much like this, solo piano as the bridesmaids came down the grand staircase and up the aisle.  It was very nice.  Switched music for the bride.

I've played some interesting pieces for weddings.  Twice I was asked to play Bittersweet Symphony as the recessional.  And it worked quite well.

Thanks for commenting.
    DBerriman
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/10 14:53:57 (permalink)
    Yes, Buckley's version is phenomenal....AWESOME.  See Youtube for that one.  Thanks for the nice words.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/10 20:02:59 (permalink)
    Nice job on this! Great piano playing and tone. It's a great song that really lets you put your own style on it. I actually just recorded it w/ a singer friend... guess I'll need to wait a while to post it now! :-)
    DBerriman
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/11 09:24:27 (permalink)
    Thanks.  Please feel free to post yours also.  Everyone's art is still art..and different folks have different tastes.  And I'll tell you, most people realize how HARD it is to sing and record excellent vocals.   Unless the vocals are really unpassable, please go ahead and post it.  It is a great song and we'd love to hear it. 

My arrangement is mostly an "on the fly" take.  There are things in there that just popped out and I'd be hard-pressed to duplicate, whether I wanted to or not.   It's fun to improvise like that but it can also add flavors and "nicks" that can be a distraction (or detraction) at times.  I didn't do much editing to this but a nick and a tuck there went a long way. 

Good luck.  Please share.   
    DBerriman
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/11 09:28:47 (permalink)
    Bert Guy said

This song was on Shrek?  

Yep, sure was.  Check it out.  Rent Shrek or see YouTube.  It's actually a great song for the movie.

Here's the version that I emulated a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NEU6Xf7lM

Love that.

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen 2011/04/11 09:30:17 (permalink)
    You have a deft touch on the ivories, David. I could totally see this as wedding theme, though as a solo, not with singing. It is a beautiful evocative piece.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1