Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover!

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2008/10/21 14:47:29 (permalink)

Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover!

was just messing around playing the start of this song on piano, and thought - i wonder how it'd sound as an acoustic version? Not sure how Iron Maiden would react, but there you go! It's just done in about an hour this afternoon, so it's a bit rough'n'ready, but hey ho...you get the treat of me singing (oh dear), not looking for critiques of my voice etc, that's why i have a singer usually!

oh, and after recording i realised i'd not put enough verses in so that's why the final verse has moved positions...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=792364&content=music

or click on dies irae below...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

9 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/21 14:58:13 (permalink)
    Great Piano Mark and i great acoutic take on an Iron Maiden song. Who doesnt like Maiden??? LOL
    The only thing that i noticed is that your vocal sounds alittle rushed in the verses and it gets lost a tad bit. Overal its great
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/21 16:34:10 (permalink)
    hey, mark! was this done with your casio direct audio? sounds good! the vocals get buried a little by the piano in the mix, tho. nice sound on the acoustic. good job!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/21 17:34:54 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

This is a blast from the past for me, and I like this version you do of it. You give it a totally different feel and it works quite well. The tone on the acoustic rhythm is very nice, full and dark. Great tone on the lead guitar parts.

Excellent job on the overall mix and the perfomance, with only one crit - I thought the piano line from about 0.45 to 1:18 was too loud - maybe pull back a bit there - JMO.

I originally bought 'Number of the Beast' on cassette - I think I still have it somewhere - LOL.

Cheers,
    Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/22 15:26:51 (permalink)
    Beautiful piano playing Mark! Wow! Is that a nylon string acoustic in there as well. Love those guitar runs! In the beginning your voice sounded a bit strained, but then you sounded more relaxed and it got better as the song progressed. Really great playing, feel, and emotion behind this. I'm still mesmorized by the piano playing.... I had no idea.... you're a very talented fellow, that's fer sure!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/22 18:02:06 (permalink)
    Up to 1:50 ... the best (for me).

Then the pauses seem awkward, abit (for me only)

The Chorus at 3:00 might be widened; the vox sinks (intentionally perhaps).

Guitar at 4:10 'takes me there'.

Alot of pomp and variety keeps my interest throughout the almost 6 minutes.

Vox needs something at 4:50 ... you have it sinking more (as seems common in metal); is this your intention: to "sink in the soul's depths"? If so, I understand your logic. Also, I'm listening on computer speakers for this one ... sorry.
    --I'd possible skip the acoustic strum at the last measure ... and let "Hallowed be Thy Name" hold its own ... in the last syllables (possibly with verb/delay of a sort).

This is my favorite of yours yet, M. I love the old British depth and the Title/hook language here.
    Thanks for posting.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/22 18:40:45 (permalink)
    CJ - hey i feel honoured by your presence! the whole bleeding thing was rushed!

Reece - yeah the piano is direct from my Privia, it hasn't got audio outs so it's from the headphone socket - but sounds pretty good really!

Doug - thanks, the idea was to have a different vibe, my other option was to make a thrash metal version...funny enough the first metal album i got was 'Killers' on cassette also.

Larry - wait til you hear me on paper and comb! i smoke! actually piano is my first instrument, i had lessons from the age of 7 to 15, and took up to Grade 6 of the ABRSM practical tests, as well as Grade V theory. i taught myself the guitar from about the age of 11, and i'm ok on electric but pants on acoustic! there's no nylon guitar here, but i got that effect from DI-ing my electro-acoustric and scooping the sound.

Philip - yep, there are many flaws with this performance, the piano/acoustic guitars aren't always together, the vocals are the same volume throughout and so get lost in the loud section, the guitar solo is barely audible, as i said i put the last verse in the wrong place...as far as the vocal line, that was kinda the same as Bruce Dickinson sang on the original, though of course far less bombastic!!! if i think it's worth it i'll go and tidy these areas up, but this was just a quick cover song i wanted to do in an afternoon! thanks for listening and commenting!! i have 2 more songs in the pipeline, one will be a big soppy piano ballad with some well-tasteful guitar lines, and the other is a kinda modern indie-pop song, again piano led, kinda Keane meets U2...so i need to spend some time on those. then i'll do a black metal song, just to balance the ying with the yang!!!

cheers guys.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/22 19:23:58 (permalink)
    Mark - I had 'Killers' on cassette as well - LOL. My very first metal album (vinyl) was 'Bark at the Moon'.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/22 19:31:36 (permalink)
    Nice piano and acoustic guitar sound. Piano sounded a bit loud in the song through my headset, but you siad it wasn't done yet. Good start though. Trick or treat from the gallos!! John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Hallowed be Thy Name - acoustic cover! 2008/10/23 00:28:27 (permalink)
    I think maiden would not mind much. You have a very King Crimson sound going on here. I love it.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1