Hang in SONAR 4 - why?

Author
bytesizesound
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/09/16 17:31:49 (permalink)

Hang in SONAR 4 - why?

Hi. My first post.

Been using SONAR since it was Cakewalk 2.0 for DOS. Just updated with the 4.0.3 patch, but still having the following problem.

Once in a while - maybe once an hour of intense MIDI editing - SONAR will crash on me. It only happens when I stop a sequence, and I always use the space bar to stop & start playing. It will do it if I have one MIDI track, or a mixture of MIDI and audio, or just audio. The whole computer doesn't crash, just SONAR- I can click to other windows and look at other programs I might have running, but SONAR has stopped responding. The CPU meter does not peak or anything when this happens. It immediately freezes when I hit the spacebar to stop a running sequence, and no keypress or click will get its attention - until I click the X in the upper right corner, and Windows XP offers to shut the program down for me.

I believe I have been having this problem since running Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03, but it's only been lately, when I have spent more and more time editing MIDI, that it's become a real annoyance. I even took a Cakewalk rep aside at the last Game Developers Conference, after his presentation on why I should buy SONAR 4 (I did) and told him about my problem - and when I emailed him about it afterward, I never heard from him again.

It happens so sporadically that I forget about it for a while - and then I lose an hour of editing because I hadn't hit SAVE in a while, and I'm mad enought to do something about it again.

I'm away from my system at the moment but I can tell you I'm using a LynxOne audio & MIDI card on my 1.8 GHz machine. I think I have 256 MB of RAM but it might be 512, I forget. Enough to run lots of audio channels at once. And it's Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Matt

9 Replies Related Threads

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 17:35:49 (permalink)
    and then I lose an hour of editing because I hadn't hit SAVE in a while,

That's what autosave is for. I never lost more than a few seconds.

loop

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 17:47:49 (permalink)
    Have you installed SP 2 for Xp. There is an issue with a memory leak in WinXp SP2 that can affect SONAR. There is a patch somewhere in Microsoft land that deals with it. I found out about the leak somewhere here in the forum and tracked down the patch somewhere. Sorry, I can't remember where but you should be able to find it if I did.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    blackdogstudio
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 18:22:29 (permalink)
    Actually, the patch that Mod Bod is refering to can be downloaded from the download link at the top of this page.
    stingie@tstt.net.tt
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 19:18:22 (permalink)
    bytesizesound. I am experiencing that very said issue. But I am on P3.1.1. I strongly suspect the sound card drivers is causing this. Sometimes Sonar would just quit leaving the midi indicator in the tray area. I am kind of certain it is not Sonar. When I was on Logic I used to see similar crashes. Service Pack 2 would not solve that problem. I was still experiencing it when Ihad it installed.
    post edited by stingie@tstt.net.tt - 2005/09/16 19:27:06

Nice Tracks Recording Studio. Intel Dual core 13ins i5 MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz. Quad core i5, Win 7 home premium 64 bit, 8 Ghz memory, 2 WD Caviar Black 7200 HDs. G-Tech hard drives, M-Audio Axiom 25, Fender Stratocaster guitar, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP firewire audio interface.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 19:18:42 (permalink)
    Actually, the patch that Mod Bod is refering to can be downloaded from the download link at the top of this page.
    Thanks. I looked for a few minutes up in the sticky notes at the top of the forum trying to figure how I found it. I guess I ran into it as I reinstalled S4PE and ran through the patches.

My music.
    Dan DAmico
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 381
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 19:26:32 (permalink)
    I have the same problem. Have you looked in task manager to see if it shows CPU usage? When it happens to me, Sonars CPU meter shows no usage, but if you hit CTRL -ALT-Delete and hit the performance tab, it show 100% CPU useage in Windows.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 19:44:07 (permalink)
    I have the same problem. Have you looked in task manager to see if it shows CPU usage? When it happens to me, Sonars CPU meter shows no usage, but if you hit CTRL -ALT-Delete and hit the performance tab, it show 100% CPU useage in Windows.
    That's a typical thing with SONAR. It grabs possession of all resources when it's running in case it needs it.

My music.
    Dan DAmico
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 381
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 21:02:25 (permalink)
    I don't show 100% CPU usage normally. I also use Sonar with Gigastudio and GPO and it doesn't show 100% CPU usage.
    bytesizesound
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Hang in SONAR 4 - why? 2005/09/16 23:02:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

- I don't use autosave, because I don't like the way it clutters up whatever directory it's set to. Though I know I may get to the point where it saves me work.

- I do have service pack 2.

- I would suspected the sound card drivers, that makes sense, but the card's been out for forever; I would think that the issue had been raised & solved by now. Plus, my regular audio software (CoolEdit, Sound Forge) never ever ever has this problem. I'll look for updated drivers.

- Okay, I've got Sonar open, and the Task Manager is showing I'm using between 96-100% CPU... okay, after a bunch of stops & starts, I managed to get it to crash. I just kept hitting the space bar to start and stop until it froze. My CPU usage is now 96% and fluctuating, graphically the same as when the program was running. Well, if I do nothing, it holds at 96% - must be the switching between windows & stuff that's making it fluctuate. And obviously even with Sonar crashed in the background, I can still sit here and type in this window. Now to be clear, this is in the Windows Task Manager window; my CPU usage in the Sonar window is still at 0% where it's been the whole time (I was playing a straight MIDI file, no audio). But Sonar is definitely "(Not Responding)".

I'm off to update the LynxOne drivers, unless somebody's got another idea.
    post edited by bytesizesound - 2005/09/16 23:10:23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1