Helpful ReplyHarrison Mixbus

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/11 04:56:55 (permalink)
Thank you Larry!!!  I have 2,3 and now 4. All at bargain prices thanks to you!

Cheers

Dave
Songs

Frank Harvey
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/25 09:08:35 (permalink)
Vilovilo
"Well ,Happy new year to fellows Sonar users..
So I went to Mixbus and followed with Ardour,
I cannot say why ,but I am very found of Ardour's graphic interface ,the software is light and quite efficient" ............................
Just to feed your thoughts.
All the best.
Olivier

Hi Olivier,
Thnx indeed for your thoughts.
I , like you, decided to give yet another one of the Daw 'OUTSIDERS' a run .....after all, we are in a highly 'Demassified' (ie: Phrase coined by Alvin Toffler - 70s Futurist) society where even the smallest players on the Web can quickly turn out to be popular / majorly successful giants.
All that aside..............what are your views on the clarity of the visual display of MIXBUS ?
Whilst I am extremely impressed with many provided components ...................I am struggling to deal with the resolution.
From my end .......the GUI layout ,whilst impressive  I'll admit is severely hampered by the resolution which is lacking considerably.
This is a significant problem ...........compared to the likes of Sonar,Pro Tools,Samplitude etc.....on my same visual monitors.
Not good for those with less than perfect vision.
Cheers.................Frank
burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/25 10:27:00 (permalink)
Would anyone recommend Mixbus v4 for mastering?
I like the idea of warm-tube mastering and easy eqing, and I like the concept of Mixbus being like an old fashioned Analog Mixer. I make guitar/vocal driven music - think Elliott Smith - I use VSTs for drums, bass etc.. but I like them to sound as authentic as possible, so I'm a bit turned off by all the DAWs which seem to cater more for the Electronic Music market. Does Mixbus have that 'warm' sound of old style mixes?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/25 11:28:55 (permalink)
Frank Harvey
Vilovilo
I cannot say why ,but I am very found of Ardour's graphic interface ,the software is light and quite efficient" ............................
All the best.
Olivier

Hi Olivier,
I , like you, decided to give yet another one of the Daw 'OUTSIDERS' a run .....after all, we are in a highly 'Demassified' (ie: Phrase coined by Alvin Toffler - 70s Futurist) society where even the smallest players on the Web can quickly turn out to be popular / majorly successful giants.
All that aside..............what are your views on the clarity of the visual display of MIXBUS ?
Whilst I am extremely impressed with many provided components ...................I am struggling to deal with the resolution.
From my end .......the GUI layout ,whilst impressive  I'll admit is severely hampered by the resolution which is lacking considerably.
This is a significant problem ...........compared to the likes of Sonar,Pro Tools,Samplitude etc.....on my same visual monitors.

Frank you have options to modify the ratio and reosultion , even of the text ....be sure to check this out

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Vilovilo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/25 13:50:30 (permalink)
Frank Harvey
Vilovilo
All the best.
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Hi Frank,
I admit that the GUI is somehow confusing compared to Sonar,but you can tweak it in preferencies - appearence mainly,you can change the scalings and it helps to make it fit with different type of monitors.
Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Olivier.
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/26 20:59:39 (permalink)
Just purchased and installed MixBus4. Gosh, I can't believe how stupid this "DAW" is for anything MIDI related. I struggled for 20+minutes to layer a simple 8 bar long 4-on-the-floor drum groove! Using ASIO interface! Which has almost non-existent latency in every other program! Even Ignite by AiR, which uses WASAPI, is a lot more responsive! My high hopes are that the acclaimed signature Harrison console sound is there and worth $20 I spent on this.
This video persuaded me to get Mixbus:

I really, really hope it won't turn out to be a snake oil.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/26 21:32:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2018/01/26 21:37:46
I am also disappointed about Mixbus, took also advantage of the current NAMM offer.

I've heard so many times here on this forum how buggy Sonar is. But Mixbus crashed 2 times on my laptop in the first hour of getting in touch. I was doing just children's play, nothing weird at all.

I am satisfied with its export functionality and how you can resize the GUI. But as I often prefer to work on my laptop with a small screen it is really annoying that you cannot hide their track EQ and that you have 8 sends per each track that you almost never use. Like that there remains nearly no space in the track strips for plugins (hell, Sonar is so well designed!). What I am also missing is a nice plugin manager like the one of Sonar (that is worse in each other DAW that I tested).

More and more it seems that if I had to choose a DAW today including Sonar (if there was not ...) my choice would be Sonar again! Sad sad!

... many years before ...
Vilovilo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/28 23:11:01 (permalink)
Hi,
No trying to deliver any truth ,I am kind of respectfull with all of thoose very nice forum members here.
Just to say that,according to me,Mixbus is in noway built with the mind of being able to compose or create anything ,for me it is a kind of mixing-mastering tool ,though with the opportunity to change a snare hit here and there if you need it,
I am struggling with Ardour to be able to built an easy drum part , and it has nothing to see with fun,but with trial and errors ,I can see that I can reach more or less my goal with it.
The limitations I am confronted with,for me ,sound like a kind of challenge( ....Do I really need this velocity curve on the hi-hat ?)....)
But at the end I am able to feed my needs with Ardour.
The possibility to go back and forth from Ardour to Mixbus is for me a strength and ,compared to Sonar ,the plus is the stability,the minus is all the great facilities Sonar could offer( lasso editing,piano roll and so on..)
For me there should be a couple with an super Ardour digital workstation followed by the mixing stage supported by Mixbus.
All that offering the possibility to switch on Linux when Windows looses its head.....
Just old man thoughts...
Cheers.
Olivier
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Harrison Mixbus 2018/01/29 00:57:05 (permalink)
I started using Mixbus for mastering stereo pre mastered mixes only.  It was a good learning curve.  Especially the mastering plug-ins too. They are excellent. That multiband compressor is quite unique as is the EQ. 

I got into more mixing stems and tracks later.  Starting in Studio One and porting things over to Mixbus. You can certainly do this. The latest version of Mixbus features a fair bit of midi control so now the idea of building ideas further back into their infancy should be quite realistic. 

I am finding as time goes on I am getting similar results in terms of console emulation and analog signal paths etc in Studio One as well as Mixbus.  I am not coming out of Studio One all the time. But rather finishing projects off there. There are a lot more options now in terms of how you do that.

Mixbus is all about the signal flow between something like a Harrison console and its multitrack recorder.  It is a nice way to work actually and if you have spent a lot of time there in a previous life then it will be familiar in some ways.

You can control all the points the saturation can be introduced.  You need to keep an eye on that.  Channel, Buss and Master EQ's are all a little different. The 32C having that wonderful Harrison console channel strip EQ and it sounds killer too.  Channels have got dynamics now too and it is possible to set them up in rather transparent ways. You can patch plenty on interesting things into the signal Mixbus flow, especially your own fave plug-ins.

I find I can use Mixbus in a mastering situation. Not for all though. Having once preferred the sound of Studio One compared to Mixbus in a Hip Hop master. But good for many styles. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1