Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly?

Author
Corling
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 120
2011/01/09 18:23:08 (permalink)

Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly?

I am running into a problem in Sonar X1 where my vocal tracks do not freeze correctly.

They freeze with audio drop-outs that occur randomly.

Right now, the VST FX signal chain on my vocal track is:

Sonitus Multiband [By Cakewalk]
Gliss EQ [By Voxengo]
iZotope Alloy [By iZotope]
TransGainer [By Voxengo]
AutoTune 7 [By Anteres]
Voxformer [By Voxengo]
iZotope Nectar [By iZotope]

I also use a liberal volume automation curve.

Of these VST effects, Sonitus Multiband and Autotune 7 are 32-bit and so they run in BitBridge on Sonar X1 64 bit. The rest are native 64-bit VSTs.

I am annoyed by the tracks not freezing reliably because it is less efficient CPU-wise. [I'm on a 980X with 16 gigs of RAM and solid state drives and it's still not fast enough without freezing tracks].

Has anybody else ever had a problem with tracks that freeze with random audio drop-outs?

9 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 18:39:27 (permalink)
    I haven't had this problem, but I have had problems with X1 changing the interleave from stereo to mono when freezing tracks.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Corling
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 19:03:05 (permalink)
    Bub

I haven't had this problem, but I have had problems with X1 changing the interleave from stereo to mono when freezing tracks.

This is exactly what is happening to me. These are two IDENTICAL vocal passages. See how when it freezes, there are random drop-outs?

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 19:12:14 (permalink)
    I've had this happen from time to time in the last few versions, on various plug ins and instruments. BFD does it a lot.

I've found that sometimes it's down to a plug in not playing along with Fast Bounce very well, so sometimes changing the freeze options can help. First thing I'd try here is changing to real-time audible bounce. That usually works for me.

When that doesn't work, I've sometimes found that shutting down and re-starting Sonar, and making the freeze the first thing I do on the new session cures it. Those cases point to a bug in Sonar itself.

I can't recall not being able to get around it with one of those two approaches, but variable mileage and all that.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Corling
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 19:27:01 (permalink)
    John T

I've had this happen from time to time in the last few versions, on various plug ins and instruments. BFD does it a lot.

I've found that sometimes it's down to a plug in not playing along with Fast Bounce very well, so sometimes changing the freeze options can help. First thing I'd try here is changing to real-time audible bounce. That usually works for me.

When that doesn't work, I've sometimes found that shutting down and re-starting Sonar, and making the freeze the first thing I do on the new session cures it. Those cases point to a bug in Sonar itself.

I can't recall not being able to get around it with one of those two approaches, but variable mileage and all that.

Interesting. Changing to real-time audible bounce does seem to fix this for me, but MAAAAAN is that SLOW! You'd think it would be able to figure out just to bounce the clips but nope -- it starts at the beginning of the track all the way to the end of the final clip. Thanks for the info!

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 19:31:10 (permalink)
    Corling

I am running into a problem in Sonar X1 where my vocal tracks do not freeze correctly.

Gliss EQ [By Voxengo]
    TransGainer [By Voxengo]
    AutoTune 7 [By Anteres]
    Voxformer [By Voxengo]

Of these VST effects, Sonitus Multiband and Autotune 7 are 32-bit and so they run in BitBridge on Sonar X1 64 bit. The rest are native 64-bit VSTs.

I am annoyed by the tracks not freezing reliably because it is less efficient CPU-wise. [I'm on a 980X with 16 gigs of RAM and solid state drives and it's still not fast enough without freezing tracks].

Has anybody else ever had a problem with tracks that freeze with random audio drop-outs?

Two thoughts:

1- you can try changing the BounceBufMs size to 100 (I'm not sure I spelled it right, but it's the bounce buffer milliseconds variable in aud.ini).   This basically acts as if you raised the latency for mixing/bouncing.  It should be accessible via the preferences and directly in aud.ini file.

2- If you're using the 64bit Double Precision Engine, try not using it for the freezing/bouncing.

And lastly, try raising your audio buffer latency just a tiny bit.

Because you're using a somewhat big fx chain, it might be putting too much pressure on the system if you're latency is too low.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 19:35:29 (permalink)
    Ah... so I suppose the BounceBuffer thing being its own setting means that you can have something that plays back fine in realtime, but has worse performance off-line.

I've thought for a while that some of those config options need hauling into the realm of the less techy and obscure. In this example, you could have plain English options for "Bounce How I Hear It" and "Set Special Bounce Settings", something like that.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    ba_midi
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 19:44:45 (permalink)
    John T

Ah... so I suppose the BounceBuffer thing being its own setting means that you can have something that plays back fine in realtime, but has worse performance off-line.

I've thought for a while that some of those config options need hauling into the realm of the less techy and obscure. In this example, you could have plain English options for "Bounce How I Hear It" and "Set Special Bounce Settings", something like that.
    I agree there are some variables in the various INI files that lend themselves more to easily access, and I never understood why some of them are hidden as they are ... but it's been like that for ages (too long).

The good thing about this variable is that you can set it and forget it.

This is from the 8.5 ref guide:

Bouncing Tracks Takes a Long Time
    By default, SONAR uses a buffer for bouncing tracks that is the same size as the Mixing Latency
    value that you set in the Audio Options dialog. But with some projects, especially ones that use
    certain soft synths, the bounce buffer needs to have its own value. You can set the value in the
    Aud.ini file with the BounceBufSizeMsec=0 line in the Wave section. At a value of 0, the bounce
    buffer is the same size as the Mixing Latency value that you set in the Audio Options dialog. You
    can set the bounce value to 100, or some value between 0 and 350 so that the bounce buffer will
    use a more efficient size for bouncing, which has different requirements from normal playback
    latency.

post edited by ba_midi - 2011/01/09 19:46:38

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Corling
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 20:06:40 (permalink)
    ba_midi

Corling

Gliss EQ [By Voxengo]
    TransGainer [By Voxengo]
    AutoTune 7 [By Anteres]
    Voxformer [By Voxengo]

Two thoughts:

1- you can try changing the BounceBufMs size to 100 (I'm not sure I spelled it right, but it's the bounce buffer milliseconds variable in aud.ini).   This basically acts as if you raised the latency for mixing/bouncing.  It should be accessible via the preferences and directly in aud.ini file.

2- If you're using the 64bit Double Precision Engine, try not using it for the freezing/bouncing.

And lastly, try raising your audio buffer latency just a tiny bit.

Because you're using a somewhat big fx chain, it might be putting too much pressure on the system if you're latency is too low.

YES, THAT gets Fast Bounce working reliably.

BounceBufSizeMsec=100

THat was the solution I needed.

Now I can not get the Fast Bounce to drop out whereas before it had random dropouts every time. Thanks!

ba_midi
    Re:Has ANYBODY Had Tracks Freeze Incorrectly? 2011/01/09 20:57:58 (permalink)
    Great.  You're welcome.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1