Helpful ReplyHas Microsoft already crippled Windows 7?

Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
2016/08/26 00:32:20 (permalink)

Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7?

A friend gave me his sons Laptop  because it was slow and not working very well. Worst problem was no Wi Fi.  
Specs HP 15 AMD A8 6410 2.00 GHz. 4 Gig RAM, 600 Gig HD ( probably 5400) 2+ years old. 
Running windows 7 Home Premium. SP 1. 64 bit. 
He is a student and needs it at college coming up soon. Ya we all know what students can do to a laptop, but it was actually clean of anything obviously nasty. iTunes, and a bunch of school documents and web links. 
It was running Kaspersky,  I think he did that after his McAfee timed out. 
I uninstalled it. 
The wireless adapter worked saw my router etc,  but after you entered the password nothing happened. 
I plugged it in to a LAN so the internet was working. I also installed a Dlink USB wireless adapter and that also worked. 

First thing I noticed was Windows Update was last updated May 2016. 
I tried to run it but get an error 80244o2F   When you click the link to "get help with this error" a help page pops up saying "0 results for Windows update 8024402F  dt000"  ?? 
So I Google error 8024402F and there is the Windows community and a bunch of "fixes" seems over 3,300 people had this same problem!! The Microsoft links were all dead end pages? Or if a tool was there it would not run after downloading. 
One notice say's this is because your having trouble connecting to the windows update server, and it might be your firewall or your anti virus. Well there was no anti virus, but might be some leftover registry entries, I tried to run the recommended removal tools for both McAfee and Kaspersky and after downloading them they BOTH said the files where corrupted and would not work. ?? These were from the vendors websites? 

I installed Malwarebytes and ran the full trail vrsion,, found 0
Installed and ran CC cleaner full trial version zip. 
 I downloaded Security essentials and it took 4 hours to update, it shows alls well too.  
Windows Defender was also installed and would not update, I disabled it. 
I downloaded a few Windows updates directly and they installed no problem. But the wireless adapter was still not working. 
Ya I tried re installing the driver first thing. 

So I backed up all his files and hit the big re install Windows button. 
All went well and I had a factory re set with an almost empty desktop. 
Interesting, opened msconfig and iTunes was still there??? 
So that was not a full re do HP...what's with that? 
I had to re install iTunes and everything  as there was no sign of any of the software from before.,, but why are things still lurking? Never had that before. 
So I ran Malwarebytes and found nothing. 

Anyhow this fixed the Wi Fi and everything seems to work fine. The computer is much more responsive and seems up to snuff.

BUT, Windows update still shows the error and won't download or install updates. I left it running for 2 days, I re booted a dozen times.. nothing. 
I'm now downloading some package called "all supported x64 based systems Windows 7 SP 1". It has been 3 hours and only 1 MB of a 10 MB file has downloaded. ??

In my reading of all the notices and comments many are saying that Windows 7 die hards are being locked out of the Windows update servers. I can totally believe this. 
So any Windows 7 peeps here?  and have you tried a fresh install lately? 

post edited by Cactus Music - 2016/08/26 01:03:45

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 02:39:11 (permalink)
I am running Win 7 and having no trouble with automatic or manual updates. You should be aware that mainstream support for Windows 7 ended January 13, 2015, meaning no new features will be added. You can still get new security updates and should be able to download updates to bring it up to current status as of that date until January 2020. After that no security or other updates will be made available.
post edited by slartabartfast - 2016/08/26 03:01:32
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 08:27:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SF_Green 2016/08/31 04:51:54
There have been several updates to Windows Update itself. You may need to locate the latest update for that in order to start getting updates again. On the other hand, beyond a few security updates, most of the updates address very obscure issues in foreign locale versions of Windows 7 and trying to get you to upgrade to Win10. Might be better to just turn updates off.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 09:03:40 (permalink)
Microsoft has a "Fix It" utility for the Windows Updater. The updater can belly up at any given point, and I *believe* that was the name of the utility. I had to download it on a re-install a couple years ago.

Iobit's Advanced System Care is another alternative, but I believe it only downloads and installs security updates to Windows.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Cactus Music
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 10:16:30 (permalink)
I tried to download that "fix it" but the web page is now gone.  A lot of Microsoft links are dead ends. 
Oh well, you're all probably right and windows update is not important, all the drivers are up to date and that's most important. 
Because he was offline since May he missed the Windows 10 nags. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 10:46:47 (permalink)
We haven't had that kind of trouble with Win7 updates, but I can tell you that the update servers have been painfully slow (especially with the first round of updates).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 11:00:26 (permalink)
I have a friend who's laptop had Windows 7 on it, and the hard drive went belly up.  I installed Windows 7 again, using his product key, and it installed no problem.

I was completely unable to get any Windows Updates to be returned from searching, even leaving it searching for 3 days.  I had this issue using Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Ultimate, both x64.

I concluded Windows 7 could not be properly reloaded and used, due to a lack of ability to bring it to patch current levels, if starting from a base product install disc (with SP1). No updates after SP1 were able to be located through searching with Windows Update, and that to me meant I could not recommend my friend to continue to use Windows 7 - it has too many unpatched security holes in it that cannot be fixed.

To me, Windows 7 is dead, and I am done dealing with it. (I had long ago moved on to Windows 8.1, and now to Windows 10, but I DO repair/reload computers for folks now and then, so I see Windows 7 fairly frequently).

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 11:11:59 (permalink)
Is this the link you found for the MS Updater Fix It tool? I just hopped on the computer quick to find that, and it downloaded without issue for me (is actually a very small file). I noticed it does say "Win10" but it launched under 7; I just did not run it through to completion.

+1 to Jim's comment (big time). I have very much noticed that MS is choking down the throughput on servers, so *if* you intend to maintain a Win7 machine, disk imaging is highly recommended.
post edited by mettelus - 2016/08/26 11:33:29

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 12:27:00 (permalink)
All of my pcs (win 7) abruptly stopped running updates on Feb 21. I noticed this when my main family pc slowed to a crawl. I traced this to a syvhost process running at nearly 100% non stop. Using google, I found how to track this process to the service it was tied to and it was the windows updater. So I suspect the pc was locked in perpetual motion trying to update. I did not see this behavior on my other pcs.

So I disabled the updater in Services, I believe. It immediately enabled itself again and became bogged down. So then I turned off windows update and it was fine.

I also previously attempted to run the updates on all the machines to no avail. On the family pc, I downloaded (from online recommendations) a tool from Microsoft that was supposed to fix the updater. I ran it and it said there were three problems. Two missing or corrupted files which it fixed and an inability ot download updates from the Microsoft server which it could not fix.

Again, as I said I turned it off.

The day after the win 10 update period had expired, all my machines downloaded the now many accumulated and recommended updates and installed them. Note, I had my other pcs set to notify but do not download.

All three successfully installed and have been through a couple of additional updates.

My faith in humanity, government and most private institutions is now irreversibly shaken if not destroyed. There is no value in anything outside of home, family, music and one's core spiritual beliefs. We are all pawns.

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 12:54:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/08/26 13:38:04
I maintain one remaining Windows 7 PC.  I have a 32-bit Pentium 4 3GHz 2GB machine in my living room that runs a WinTV HD receiver, NextPVR, and a few games. 

I had a spare Windows 7 license so I upgraded it from XP to Windows 7 (SP-1) last March.  Took a long time to get all the updates current since SP-1 (2011).  Several reboots needed, then additional searches for updates afterwards, until it was finally current.  Going to run Win 7 until this PC dies, because the CPU lacks the NX bit to install Win 8 or higher.

Then it also got hit this year with the "Windows update, long time to search for updates" bug during each monthly round of updates.

The best info that I have heard is that for several months this year there has been a windows kernel mode driver patch among those in the update list.  This appears to send Windows into never-never land while it checks your machine for superseded updates against the WU catalog.  This has caused reports of delays from hours to days, depending on the PC.  Symptoms included locking one core at 100% while this took place, with little to no disk or network utilization.

Each month, there has been one specific patch that corrected this behavior, once installed (the so called "magic patch").  Subsequent searches for updates returned results within a few minutes.  Until the next month.  Then an entirely different patch caused the same WU bug.  A big game of whack-a-mole!!!

My Win 7 PC is currently up to date with all patches (security, recommended. & optional) through Aug 9, except for a couple of "telemetry updates", which I have hidden.

It only took a few minutes to get the list of updates for August, so I think MS may have finally fixed this one in July.

Microsoft has released this.  (Can't vouch for it, but it sounds like the right move):

Using the Windows 7 Convenience Update Rollup (SP2)

This new rollup contains all of the security and non-security fixes released since the release of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 that are suitable for general distribution, through April 2016.  Install this one update and then you only need new updates released after April 2016.
http://answers.microsoft....4199-9c89-48e1e883051e

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 13:17:52 (permalink)
The same evening my updates installed on my family pc, my new canon pixma printer quick working giving an error message which said I had to send it in due to hardware failure. I reinstalled the drivers and it worked, but once I shut if off I got the same message on restart. I reinstalled again and have kept the printer on. Again, I suspect it should only be a matter of time before my entire studio is disrupted with loud pro gov't messages and the repetitive  sound of the proverbial Nelson character, hah-hah, hah-hah, hah-hah!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 13:38:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/08/26 14:36:47
I have a triple boot system.  Win 10/Win 7/Win 10 Preview.  Win 10 is my production OS but I keep Win 7 as I do some PC support and still have a couple of clients on Win 7. 

My Win 7 shows the last time it updated was June 6, but it has had updates since then.  The slow/no updates is a frequent post on the Windows 7 forum.  I tried to get updates on my Win 7 and it went into "checking for updates" and after 2 hours I gave up as I had some work to do and went back to Win 10.  The next day I booted Win 7 and started the checking for updates and I let it go for 4 hours.  I had to stop it and boot Win 10 to check mail and some other tasks.  I went back to Win 7 and did the checking for updates again for 3 hours and after the 3 hours it was still checking for updates.  I had to go back to Win 10 and after doing what I had to do I went back to Win 7 and within 5 minutes I got a notification that Updates were available and the Update Icon was showing in the Notification Area.  I went to the Updates panel and Installed the updates (about 6 or 7) and restarted the PC (to finish installing the updates).  After Win 7 booted back up, I got a notice that updates had been installed but when I looked at the Update panel It still showed June 6 as the last time it checked for updates.....

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 15:18:46 (permalink)
Everything about Windows 7/8.1 updates changes from October 2016 onwards ...

Monthly rollups only.  Sort of like the Windows 10 method.

From October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update. The Monthly Rollup will be published to Windows Update (WU), WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Each month’s rollup will supersede the previous month’s rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current. i.e. a Monthly Rollup in October 2016 will include all updates for October, while November 2016 will include October and November updates, and so on.

https://blogs.technet.mic...ows-7-and-windows-8-1/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 15:41:19 (permalink)
You can get a recently installed system up to SP1 by downloading an installer from Microsoft if the Windows Update site is too slow. 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

Cactus Music
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/26 19:39:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the feedback folks, Most of you are confirming what I have gathered about this issue.
Widows Update server is super slow.
Windows 7 Updates have been a mess for a while now. 
A fresh install of W7 SP1 is stuck in the mud.

I'm not going to spend any more time on his laptop, I'm doing this as a favour, I'll explain this to him and he can either deal with it or now pay to upgrade to W10. Hmm, looks like $150 Can for the Home version.  I think he can buy a new laptop with better specs than his for double that. I see one at the Source for $299. But his is working 100% and is running fast enough considering the hard drive and processor. Takes over a minute to boot. Not used to that anymore :)  

I have Windows 7 on 2 computers still. One is my old DAW that I haven't even turned on for 6 months. I don't care about the updates for that machine as it works 100% and is never going to be on line. It's just an emergency back up. It would not run W 10 I don't think, Only a 2 core 2.4Mhz. 4 Gigs RAM.  Super computer 10 years ago.

I also run W7 Ultimate on a laptop I use for live recording. I do use it on line sometimes and it was up to date as far as I know. It occasionally installed updates. Seems fine, it was a Vista system so I'd be pushing my luck to go higher than 7.

I think the issue is if you do a fresh install and the version you use is SP1.
My ultimate dvd install used to take 4 rounds over a few days to finally settle down.  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Has Microsoft already crippled Windows 7? 2016/08/29 12:47:35 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
We haven't had that kind of trouble with Win7 updates, but I can tell you that the update servers have been painfully slow (especially with the first round of updates).

I had to leave a W7 system on a day or two for the W7 updates to show up. Also check update history see if any failed.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1