Helpful ReplyHas anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync

Author
cpkoch
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 345
2018/12/14 05:35:27 (permalink)

Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync

The subject says (asks) it all ... Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync.   I am not that knowledgeable concerning DAWS but I would've hoped that  Vocal Sync would actually synchronise multiple vocal tracks.  I can't seem to make that happen except for only the smallest of clips in a track.  What gives?  Like I implied ... It's probably a user error on my part!  It would be nice if the edited track could be adjusted on a "whole track" and "clips within the track" could be aligned with the guide  track.  In other words, create a means of editing (cutting and pasting) on the track to be edited for synchronization with the guide much like one would do manually by individually matching  the two tracks ...  one tone at a time.

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 06:10:21 (permalink)
no i have not,  tried it and material has to be very, very similar to not have lots or artifacts

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 08:17:28 (permalink)
I've tried it a few times. Pretty sure you have to use it only on two tracks at a time (Master/Slave), and only on short clips. Mostly it's been more trouble than it's worth, plus for a while there was a bug that cause it to randomly send a huge pulse to your speakers. Don't know if that was fixed -- haven't seen any recent complaints about it. I would use it again, because it did help a little on a few things and I like to mess with stuff like that. But useful results? Jury is still out.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
user390096
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 09:28:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby digimidi 2018/12/17 00:25:23
I own Revoice Pro 4 which is a combination of Vocal Align and a pitch, "character" and EQ alignment. As their website says "clone the timing, pitch, vibrato and level features of one audio track and use it on another, giving you the chance to match or correct timing, tuning and level." So far I like it for my single male voice (never tried it on other singers) but you do need to have your 2 or more vocal performances fairly close in-sync to begin with or you can get extreme artifacts.

One neat trick is I can, with Izotope RX7, "steal" a vocal from a real recording of a famous singer and make a close clone of my voice. Just sing the song in close sync with the famous singer and use Revoice to get all those little vibratos, subtle volume/pitch changes and inflections I didn't sing, because either I just can't sing that well or I'm too lazy to practice (both are true). For example, I always liked the Doobie Brothers "Losing End" song, so I was able to isolate Michael McDonald's vocal then sing along with it in almost perfect unison but my mini-inflections, vibrato and volume changes weren't accurate. But when I processed it with Revoice 4, I sounded almost like his twin brother - amazing. There were vibratos I didn't sing that were now there and volume changes I hadn't sung that were now there as well as many little subtle pitch changes. Izotope RX 7 also allows you to make very good "Karaoke" versions of real songs, essentially the opposite of grabbing just the vocal.

I contacted Celemony about their efforts to improve Melodyne to be able to do these types of things and they said that they are dabbling in it but it is a lot harder to do than one would think. Anyway, it can do amazing things but you have to be in fairly good sync in the first place which kinda defeats the purpose a little bit. As far as stacking multiple tracks of voices simultaneously - I haven't tried that task yet but they say it can be done and I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as things are fairly in-sync, to begin with. Their website has lots of examples of before and after with multiple voices and they sound great.

As far as integrating with Cakewalk, it doesn't (but I'm pretty sure Vocal Align does). Revoice Pro 4 opens independently outside of Cakewalk and you just drag your vocal tracks into it, process them and then drag the new track(s) back into Cakewalk but you need to align them in Cakewalk. A bit of a hassle but it works. I asked Synchroarts if it was likely they were going to get it to work like Vocal Align and they said there were no plans at this time...

Lots of great vocal software is out there now like Revoice Pro 4 (which is Vocal Align on steroids), Izotope RX7, and Izotope Nectar 3, Neutron 2 and Ozone 8. I bought them all and they are pretty amazing as well as Melodyne and Waves Tune (which is the only good way to create a perfect vibrato as far as I know but their interface is way too small, yuck).

I'm pretty sure all of these products offer free trials so go for it.
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 12:15:30 (permalink)
I works fine for small clips.  I use it on BGV which tend to be little words and short parts.  Just using the visual peaks and valleys of the clip you can get two tracks just about perfect.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 12:34:40 (permalink)
VS was never meant to correct completely unsynchronized duplicated audio.
Compare Vocal Sync and Melodyne as a Saw. If you want to cut down a tree, you don't bring out a little hand saw. you grab the Chainsaw. For tree limbs, Vocal Sync does the job.
Ive used it on guitar solos as well as vocals. It takes some tweaking and sometimes something as small as selecting the audio will produce different results. I have had best encounters when selecting the audio directly before the wave begins.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 13:18:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby digimidi 2018/12/17 00:26:12
Vocal sync is meant to sync already similar tracks. i.e. you can have two vocal parts singing harmony and it will sync any timing inaccuracies between the two. But if you give it two completely different parts that have different rhythms there won't be very much it can do. It will however work reasonably well with even two different instrument parts playing the same phrasing.
The main use case of vocal sync is for vocal alignment much like what VocALign does.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
cpkoch
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 22:38:00 (permalink)
Thank you Larryuser390096 and everyone, for the information.  (Thanking you too Larry!) It is very much appreciated!  I guess that I was expecting too much out of Vocal Sync as far as tempo matching is concerned.

Seems that there ought to be a way to take two tracks that are  tempo erratic and slide one under the other (much like Vocal Sync does) so that it would ease the  matching of one tempo to the  other.  It's kinda like synchronization by manual dexterity but the tracks are superimposed on each other. 

Thanks again  for the info!

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/14 23:03:07 (permalink)
cpkoch
Thank you Larryuser390096 and everyone, for the information.  (Thanking you too Larry!) It is very much appreciated!  I guess that I was expecting too much out of Vocal Sync as far as tempo matching is concerned.

Seems that there ought to be a way to take two tracks that are  tempo erratic and slide one under the other (much like Vocal Sync does) so that it would ease the  matching of one tempo to the  other.  It's kinda like synchronization by manual dexterity but the tracks are superimposed on each other. 

Thanks again  for the info!

Some of the suggestions in this thread might help: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Is-there-a-way-to-sync-2-sets-of-wav-files-m3798937.aspx

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
jrmunday
  • Total Posts : 302
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/15 15:04:32 (permalink)
I used to use this quite a lot on harmony vocals but then got upset with myself when I got artifacts so this is what I do now:
  1. Only select a one or two bar vocal phrase.
  2. Often, but not always, a harmony track is 'nudge 1 or two left' behind the lead vocal. They respond to the vocal cues when singing so I nudge it back (left) to align them a bit more i.e starts of phrases.
  3. I then use the built in Melodyne to sort out the obvious timing issues I can see.
  4. THEN, i finally use Vocal sync as a sort of wash/polish - just to make it sound professional.
This seems to work well - at least for me.

CbB, Splat, HP Pavillion i5, Win 10 64bit, 6G ram, Scarlett 8i6, Kontakt 5 plus a shed load of hardware, synths & guitars collected over 50 years.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/15 18:30:36 (permalink)
Vocal Sync works on some material but not others. I try it and if it doesn't work, change phrasing in Melodyne, or by splitting and shifting.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/15 19:32:22 (permalink)
I've had some good and some not so, but it can be handy used on short clips.

I find I use Audiosnap and manually making needed tweaks most often as i can personalize each word quickly.

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/18 04:33:48 (permalink)
I'm curious if this will help align short clips of say - double tracked guitars ?

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Has anyone gotten any useful results from using Vocal Sync 2018/12/18 18:36:32 (permalink)
I use it on background vocals frequently  - I like it...

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1