Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture?

Author
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
2006/06/29 16:08:23 (permalink)

Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture?

I have always said that I would buy Rapture if Cakewalk offered a 'loyalty' discount and that remained the case for a long time...however, a few months have passed since the release of this synth and no discount has been forthcoming thus far. The problem is, for me anyway, that I would have jumped at the chance to buy Rapture for around $150 a month or two back but now I find my interest in it is far less than it was and that I am not sure if I will end up buying it, as I have purchased other synths in the interim. Anyway, the point is: I think Cakewalk may have made an error in not offering a teaser deal to current owners of their other products and that they may have lost out on customers due to this...or am I the only one whose feelings have changed in this way?

11 Replies Related Threads

Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/29 18:06:22 (permalink)
    I think more properly the title should be: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture pricing?

The synth itself is obviously a winner. Positive reviews from both users and the press are continuing to accumulate.

Regarding pricing, you may be right. However as a Cakewalk customer, having purchased 2 previous products, I still purchased Rapture with no loyalty discount (although I did get it cheaper than normal as a result of buying it during a Cakewalk synth-mastery seminar).

That's a hard one to call. I also notice no discount on Project 5 for previous customers. Sure, a couple of special offers have surfaced, but those are only for specific product owners. On the other hand, considering the "street" price of these pieces, it still may be cheaper to just buy it direct from a music retailer. For example, Project 5 retailing for $429, if Cakewalk offered $100 off for owners of Home Studio, that would still be more than you could get it for at a good music retailer, especially after you did a little haggling.

Same with Rapture. If Cakewalk offered $50 off the list, it would be at $199, which is I believe what the MAP is at all the big online retailers.

It would, however, be a gesture of goodwill to take the initiative, IMO.

Both Rapture, as well as P5 and DimPro have been good selling items. It's probably a matter of supply and demand. Just like pharmecuticals, the prices of the drugs (supposedly) pay for more research and development. Rene` and the Cakewalk team have to eat, as well as meet other financial obligations. The prices we pay for this software helps fund their efforts at creating, producing, and supporting future versions, such as P5 v3, and what I hope will be a third sibling to Rapture and DimPro - a dedicated drum unit complete with sequencing. I'll pass on company discounts to see those happen!
    Kelsin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/29 20:01:52 (permalink)
    /agreed with Rick

I paid an upgrade price for project 5 ($99 when upgraded to Sonar 5) and then bought Dim Pro for $99 since I was an owner of P5. I bought rapture just at normal price. I didn't own any VI's until this purchase and Rapture seemed to nice to not lay down some money for it. I was saving so much on my upgrades and other purchases that I went ahead with it. I can't really complain because of the great upgrade / p5 / and dimPro prices I got.
    post edited by Kelsin - 2006/06/29 20:12:16
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/29 21:00:50 (permalink)
    Well, I paid the freight. Got Rapture because I already had an idea what it had and what that would mean to me. I did a sweetwater buy because GC didn't have it yet. Because I tweak a lot of the features I wanted came with Rapture almost as a gift. But many would not even think of using these features for one reason or another. You could come close with NI's sampler for twice the price/bugs/support issues. But I know Rene's feature set and like what I got. And I thank Cakewalk for being so generous to me. Call me a FAN and sign me up for their next release.

You can boo me now if ya want to.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/29 23:45:20 (permalink)
    I think it's a great deal even at full list price. It just sounds great and has a wealth of programming features. Add to that the community developing around here, with lots of expert help and you've got a total winner. $50 or $100 bucks either way is not that big of a deal in the long run.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 11:41:19 (permalink)
    Perhaps we are just getting spoiled by the occasional good deals, and now expect them, or think we're entitled to them?

I was waiting for a Rapture deal as well, and while I was waiting I got Project5V2 for $99, Dimension Pro for $99, z3ta+ for $99, and Sonar 5PE for $79 (accident, that one)... all from Cakewalk.

Considering that in the 3-4 years prior to using Cakewalk, instead using Logic and Cubase, neither eMagic, Apple, or Steinberg EVER gave me so much as a thanks for buying email (QUITE the contrary with Steinberg), Cakewalk is excellent in their specials and treatment to loyal customers.

So... I bought Rapture (admitedly, since I used a 20% off GC coupon, I got it for $160). I already feel quite happy with my treatment... not slighted at all.
    Besides, Rapture @ $199 is a good deal, and it's still pretty new... and being cross-platform, I found several others at GC who DON'T use Sonar as their host, but swore by Rapture as "excellent" - this gives Cake considerably more time to leave the price unchanged and still make sales.

I'm sure there's a Rapture special coming soon enough, but for me it's not worth the $50-$100 to put off learning how to use it. My Korg Z1 was almost $2k, so... the world has definitely changed in our favor.

- zevo
    xylyx
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 13:18:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: inmazevo

Perhaps we are just getting spoiled by the occasional good deals, and now expect them, or think we're entitled to them?

Not really. I look at a synth and place my own personal valuation on it and what I think it is worth...$150 has always been my 'target' for Rapture and I won't exceed that. The original post wasn't so much aimed at people who dropped the full price on it nor whether the rrp is right or wrong, more aimed at those others who, like me, said they would only buy Rapture if it dropped to around the $150 mark. The main issue is that in the meantime, my initial 'I will definitely buy that if it hits 150' thoughts have now changed to the 'I probably won't buy it if it hits 150'...the impulse buy period has passed for me and I wonder if it maybe has for others. *shrug*
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 14:23:49 (permalink)
    I might be a little bit biased, but I personally think that Rapture at current full price is a steal.

In my opinion, the survivors of the r3z1zt4nc3-2-mPu153 buys can't do anything but good, both for themselves and for Cakewalk. Still, Rapture will become bigger, better, fuller and more powerful in the next twelve months, to say something. There will be many baits for impulse buyers

-René
    xylyx
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 15:12:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

I might be a little bit biased, but I personally think that Rapture at current full price is a steal.

If I had few synths then I would likely agree that it's price isn't that high...I guess part of my valuation is affected by the amount of synth plugins that I already have, along with what it offers me that is different to what I already have in my collection.

Still, Rapture will become bigger, better, fuller and more powerful in the next twelve months, to say something. There will be many baits for impulse buyers

I do seem to recall saying that I wasn't going to bother buying Dim Pro and that turned out to be a lie It will be interesting to see how the product develops and whether it can re-ensnare my attention in the future...(add granular functionality to the oscillators and you've got me! )
    lawapa
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 15:17:30 (permalink)
    While this is not quite a granular function Rapture does allow some very creative possibilities toward that end within the sfz.

As for speculation on what will come next I know better now. I leave that to the masters at this synth making stuff.
    xylyx
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 15:29:26 (permalink)
    I just think that there is still a huge demand for a Malstrom-esque VST...if Rapture added granular functionality in a simple to use way like Malstrom has it, then it could be real sales boon for Cakewalk.
    lawapa
    RE: Have Cakewalk missed the boat with Rapture? 2006/06/30 15:47:22 (permalink)
    I too think granular is interesting as a synthesis technique.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1