Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet?

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/04/19 17:14:46 (permalink)

Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet?

I just saw that the new Z68 chipsets will be coming out May 8th so I was wondering if any of the DAW builders have been able to try out a early version yet.  Basically I don't know if that release date is only for us (end consumers) or also for PC builders or also even for mother board companies...

Oops!  Almost forgot to ask WHY I was asking!  I hear that these are better than the P67's (especially if you want onboard graphics) so I was just being curious about what the Pros thought about them - and if it's worthwhile waiting until there are mobo's with them on.
post edited by craigb - 2011/04/19 17:16:50

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

6 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet? 2011/04/19 17:29:13 (permalink)
    Oops! Almost forgot to ask WHY I was asking! I hear that these are better than the P67's (especially if you want onboard graphics) so I was just being curious about what the Pros thought about them - and if it's worthwhile waiting until there are mobo's with them on.

I'm not seeing anything that's overly exciting...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet? 2011/04/20 09:07:49 (permalink)
    +1
    Intel is sending me one along with a 40G ssd.
    the X68 offers nothing really over present P67 except some odd little things like using a cheap SSD along with a standard HDD to make the HDD act like an SSD. honestly to me this isnt too exciting as it does not help audio perfomance even with a real SSD for an OS.
    however if it does as it says some people may find it desireable

the 2nd thing is being able to use both GPUs (the onboard and a dedicated one.. not sure what thats all about but for video editing you are supposed to use the onboard (the CPU) for AVC exceleration  thats assuming the editor will even access it.

past that no big deal at all other than support for Xeon whcih is silly

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet? 2011/04/20 10:15:07 (permalink)
    nice to see you in SoS this month Scott! Congrats!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet? 2011/04/20 13:04:30 (permalink)
    dang they were supposed to send me a copy... so its out now?

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    ivoryjohn
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet? 2011/05/02 07:24:07 (permalink)
    jcschild

+1
    Intel is sending me one along with a 40G ssd.
    the X68 offers nothing really over present P67 except some odd little things like using a cheap SSD along with a standard HDD to make the HDD act like an SSD. honestly to me this isnt too exciting as it does not help audio perfomance even with a real SSD for an OS.
    however if it does as it says some people may find it desireable

the 2nd thing is being able to use both GPUs (the onboard and a dedicated one.. not sure what thats all about but for video editing you are supposed to use the onboard (the CPU) for AVC exceleration  thats assuming the editor will even access it.

past that no big deal at all other than support for Xeon whcih is silly
    I thought maybe the SSD cache on a dedicated soft instruments drive might be interesting.  I'm not sure how far developers will take the on-board graphics engine, but if it can be used as a physics engine, it could be a boon to gamers, and someday even piano modelling software.

AVTechman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Have any of our DAW builders tested Z68 yet? 2011/05/02 12:28:55 (permalink)
    From what I read about the Z68 boards, its mostly the on-board graphics improvement over the 67 series. Mostly for those who deal with video (HTPC and such). No real improvements on the audio side of things as far as recording goes. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1