Headphone Out Control

Author
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
2011/07/09 17:32:29 (permalink)

Headphone Out Control

Just purchased the V-Studio 100.  A big part of the reason I purchased it was because I thought the Monitor/Mute button was going to mute my monitors, and that I could control my headphone out separately.

To my frustration, I've figured out that the Monitor/Mute has a completely different function than I thought.  And the headphone out “delivers the same signal as the MAIN output.”  (manual p. 14).

Anyone have any ideas for a work around for this?

Honestly, I don’t understand the thinking on this.  Why the heck would I want my headphone out to be simultaneously controlled by the main out?  Maybe there’s a good reason for this in some context I can’t think of, but this would have been a deal killer had I known before I bought it.  Seems like really huge oversight/design flaw to me.

Anyway, I’m super disappointed.
post edited by barthowk - 2011/07/09 17:35:13

4 Replies Related Threads

SurfingMusicMan
    Re:Headphone Out Control 2011/07/09 17:59:37 (permalink)
    I have a separate headphone amp and figured out a work around.  I added a bus send to outputs 3 & 4 on the final mix bus of my Sonar project and plugged my headphone amp into hardware outputs 3 & 4 on the V-Studio 100.  This works, but it's really lame that I can't use the headphone out on my V-Studio 100.

Doesn't anyone else think this is crazy?  Am I missing something here?
    lampoonland
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Headphone Out Control 2011/07/10 07:39:20 (permalink)
    Hi Barthowk.In total agreement with you.I was disappointed too when I found out I had to physically switch my monitor speakers off every time I went to headphone monitoring.
    Another member posted a solution to this elsewhere on the forum:

Plug your monitors into outputs 3-4 on the VS100.

Enable both the 1-2 and 3-4 output pairs on your computer (sonar).

Have both outputs enabled in your project.

Create a bus that everything gets routed to that goes to outputs 1-2 (this will be for your headphones).

Create a send on that bus that goes to outputs 3-4 (the monitors).

Now you can use sonar to adjust the volume of the monitors independent of the headphones and you can mute the monitors without muting the headphones too.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Headphone Out Control 2011/07/10 08:26:15 (permalink)
    Although almost every hardware console works exactly the same way as the V-Studio (headphone is tied to main outs) it seems Roland/Cake missed a great opportunity here.

The biggest weekness I have found in the VS-100 is it's internal routing. With a software based system like this - surely they can create a firmware update that allows some internal routing. I would love the ability to send which outputs (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) I choose to the Headphone out.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    SurfingMusicMan
    Re:Headphone Out Control 2011/07/10 11:53:49 (permalink)
    lampoonland:  Yes, that's very similar to what I did, except I kind of did it opposite.  I'm leaving outputs 1 & 2 going to my monitors, and am sending outputs 3 & 4 to my external headphone amp.  It's just really lame that I don't get tactile control over everything and have to resort to the software.  One of the reasons I purchased this unit was for the tactile control.

codamedia:  I agree.  That's one of the things I tried to do as well - send outputs 3 & 4 to the headphone out.  It's really suprising Roland didn't make that an option.
    post edited by barthowk - 2011/07/10 11:57:10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1