Helpful ReplyHeadphones for mixing?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
paulf707
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 109
2016/12/28 15:42:06 (permalink)

Headphones for mixing?

Due to my current situation, I compose and mix solely on headphones. I know there are varying opinions on whether this is a good idea or not, but essentially I have no other options at this time. So I need to make the best of it.
I'm currently using Sennheiser HD25SP headphones, but I know these are fairly 'bass heavy' and I'm struggling to get a good mix from them.
From reading online I think I need 'open back' headphones - I know these leak a little more sound, but I'm OK with that. I don't run headphones loud (I have tinnitus from too many years drumming), and I rarely play with other people in the same room.
I'm currently thinking AKG K701 / K702 - and that is about my price limit (£100-£150 ish).
Anyone out there with experience of these - are they as good as people say?
I'm concerned my Focusrite Scarlett Solo may not be 'powerful' enough to drive these (many reviews say they need a good headphone amp) - but as I don't tend to run them loud, will the Focusrite be enough?
Are there any other options (in a similar price range) I should be considering? Beyerdynamic DT990's get similar reviews, but they are even higher impedance (so may be more of a problem without a headphone amp)?

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.... 

Thanks

Sonar X3, Dell XPS 2720 All-In-One Touchscreen PC, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Miditech Midistart Music 25, EMU XBoard 49, AKG K702

https://soundcloud.com/user-795249686
https://blend.io/perpetualmotion

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/28 16:22:54 (permalink)
Kirk's with sonar works template

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/28 16:42:54 (permalink)
I recently bought the Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software:  http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

I'm pretty happy with it, basically they've tested a couple dozen headphone models and set up compensation for the "flavour" that each model brings.  Ideally, this gives you a flat response.

That covers the EQ component of headphones.  There's also the panning issue, since you're hearing each side of the stereo field in isolation, which wouldn't happen with monitors in a room.  I've also started using Waves NX- Virtual Room, to compenstate for THAT failing:  http://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room

Using both of these in my Master FX Bin, i'm pretty happy with the results.

FYI, I use Beyerdynamic 990Pro headphones through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
RamboFB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/28 16:57:17 (permalink)
Hi there,
             All I can say is I have not long bought a pair of open back headphones for the first time and was totally blown away with the difference. Its like the music is near your ears but not right in there, its a far more natural sound. For the first few days I just listened to my favorite music with them and it was great. They do bleed a lot of noise (at least mine do), something to consider. I know you said it wasn't a problem

I have the akgK240, thereabout £50 so would save yourself £50 or so.  I have loved them so far. Am fairly new to home recording etc so my opinion probably isn't worth much.

cheers 
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/28 17:14:00 (permalink)
When I was shopping for headphones, I studied frequency response graphs and finally picked Sennheiser HD558

Which is seems closer to HD650

than the more expensive HD 598

AKG 702 is fine, but brighter with less low-end

Also, get a demo of
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-morphit/
study compensation curves, make your choice.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/28 20:31:54 (permalink)
Vastman
Kirk's with sonar works template

I just picked up my third pair of KRKs (the KNS 8400s) for about $90.00 at Amazon. They are very comfortable for long time wear on the ears, sound very clear, and are as Vastman mentions, frequently show up in standard reference software packages as one of the template or standard headphones - which is convenient.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 02:03:07 (permalink)
Thanks all for your thoughts - very useful....
Sonarworks software looks very interesting - don't think they have an exact plugin for my current headphones but I'll download the trial and see what it sounds like anyway... Is it worth paying the extra to buy my new headphones from them to have the 'individual calibration'? I can see it might make a small difference, but I'm thinking that might be a 'step too far' for an average home musician?
I'll also try a demo of the TB Morphit software - it will be interesting to see if this can do the same job (at a lower price)
You mention using Beyerdynamic 990Pro with a 2i2 interface - I assume you've not noticed any issues needing a headphone amplifier - that's very encouraging!
I'll read up on the AKG240 - could be a good option
Thanks for highlighting the Sennheiser HD558 - I have always been impressed by Sennheiser products, so I'm very interested in those - I agree the response graph looks very impressive (especially for the price).
I'll do some more reading on the KRK headphones - I've just read a couple of reviews and I'm not sure they are for me. I've read they are very good at replicating the KRK monitors, and are very good for EDM type music (bass heavy) - not sure if that's what I'm looking for. Also they're closed back which goes against other recommendations I've read - but on the other hand is an added bonus if they can produce a good 'reference' sound without audio leakage....

Really appreciate the advice, insight and ideas - very helpful.... Looking forward to spending my Christmas money soon :)

Sonar X3, Dell XPS 2720 All-In-One Touchscreen PC, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Miditech Midistart Music 25, EMU XBoard 49, AKG K702

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 04:41:58 (permalink)
paulf707
I'm currently thinking AKG K701 / K702 - and that is about my price limit (£100-£150 ish).
Anyone out there with experience of these - are they as good as people say?

100% positive-would-buy-again-right-away for K702. I use it a lot, it is comfortable, sounds very well balanced but you can also use it like an acoustic magnifying glass. It's amazing what it reveals ...

FYI, I bought the K702 5 years ago when it was 3 times the price (still worth every penny IMHO), after extensively testing it against the AKG K-701, AKG K-271 and the Beyerdynamic DT-880.

The K-702 felt like a siginificant step up from the K-701. The K-271 I kept for tracking, it's not something you want to wear for long editing sessions ... and I did not like the Beyerdynamic at all (but that may be because I have used AKG reference headphones for more than 20 years ... they sound superb and last for ages ... I still got one that is 25 yrs old, still sounding better than most of what you can buy in todays HiFi stores)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 07:46:02 (permalink)
I use these el cheapo open back for mixing:
https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI

They are $33.00.  Then I add the Sonarworks generic curve for those headphones.  It works for me.

Without Sonarworks, they are boomy...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 08:27:33 (permalink)
using sony mdr-7506 with the sonarworks plugin here, though i wish the tb plugin had arrived a bit earlier to save some moolah!

just a sec

Slugbaby
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 08:44:45 (permalink)
paulf707
... Is it worth paying the extra to buy my new headphones from them to have the 'individual calibration'? I can see it might make a small difference, but I'm thinking that might be a 'step too far' for an average home musician?

You mention using Beyerdynamic 990Pro with a 2i2 interface - I assume you've not noticed any issues needing a headphone amplifier - that's very encouraging!

1.  I can't tell you whether or not it's worth it, but it wasn't worth it to me.  I went through the list of models they had analyzed, and then looked further into those models.  If you order directly from Sonarworks it seems to be more expensive overall, however they actually measure the exact set of headphones you're getting (as opposed to just another pair of the same model).
2.  It's loud enough for me.  When I'm listening to other recorded/purchased music, i never need the volume higher than 50% or so.  Working on Sonar projects, that might get to 70-80%...

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 11:05:43 (permalink)
Keep in mind that flat-sounding headphones alone will not give you the 3-D effect of listening to studio monitors (Important when mixing).

While Sonarworks or Toneboosters Morph-It makes your phones "flat"....

For the 3-D aspect, you'll need to add something like Waves NX, Focusrite VRM, or TB Isone.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/29 13:35:26 (permalink)
Thanks all, my plan for this weekend is to trial the Sonarworks and/or Toneboosters software and see what effect that has on my headphones.
I don't think they will solve all my mixing problems (but you never know!) - but I can then make a decision on what headphones to look at.
At the moment I'm looking at comparisons between AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD558

Thanks for the thoughts about the 3-D aspect - I'm aware of the concept of this but I'm not really aware of this as a 'problem' (although I'm sure it is!). I may try some demos of those software apps as well to see what impact they have.

Really appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions - so helpful!

paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 01:55:45 (permalink)
OK - first thoughts from a couple of hours testing.....

Sonarworks has a profile for my headphones (or certainly very similar) - that seems quite effective. I sort of knew there was a bass boost on them, but the way Sonarworks reduces that sounds much more natural than if I try and use EQ to do it.
I tried experimenting with the 'simulate' options in Sonarworks - there's only a few options in there (I assume that's because it's a demo?) but there are options for AKG701 and Sennheiser HD650... I'm not sure how accurate they are but (to my ears) what they are suggesting from the AKG 701 is quite an 'alteration' to the sound compared to 'flat'. The HD650 seems much closer to 'flat' (to me) - but I guess that is why they cost more. (This ties in with what Soundwise posted earlier about frequency graphs - thanks again for that).
Couple of things about the plugin itself - doesn't seem to respond too well to touch screens (not sure why - most buttons seem to need two 'taps' when a mouse is a 'single click'). Also, the plugin drops the volume considerably - this is quite annoying when trying to A-B test this against other plugins.

Also tried Morphit - doesn't have a preset for my Sennheisers - so harder to test. After hearing the 'proper' correction on Sonarworks I managed to find one on Morphit that was similar for testing purposes. Seems to do a similar basic job (and is cheaper). Doesn't have the option for simulating other headphones / speakers, but a) is cheaper and b) doesn't appear to cause a volume reduction.

Lastly looked at TB Isone (speaker / studio simulation). Really not sure about this.... Firstly, it is another one with a significant volume reduction - and to make this worse there doesn't appear to be a bypass option within the plugin (making A-B comparisons even harder). In terms of stereo imaging I can hear what it is doing - 'pulling in' extreme panning to a slightly more central bias. I already know that stereo image is more obvious on headphones, and I'm not sure that is a problem (for me) when I'm mixing on headphones. However, I'm less convinced about the 'room / speaker simulations' - all that seems to do is roll off some of the top end (to varying degrees) and make things more muffled? That's not my experience of moving audio from headphones to speakers - some may have slightly less treble, but others have more.

So conclusions from this?
I think I am convinced that headphones with (as close to possible) flat response are what I need. Sennheiser HD558 are a strong contender at the moment (but I'll be doing more research).
However, having a pair that are covered by Sonarworks / Morphit presets are vital to making use of those tools.
I'm currently leaning towards Morphit, due to the lower price and the better volume matching. And they have Sennheiser 558s on their list of presets....
The lack of 'simulation' may be an issue, but I think I'll look into that as a separate requirement - try to find something like Isone but with more useful sounding options....

Thanks once again everyone for you comments and suggestions - as always I've moved completely away from where I thought I wanted to go, but I feel I am now making a much more informed decision.

Cheers!

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 04:07:36 (permalink)
paulf707
I tried experimenting with the 'simulate' options in Sonarworks - there's only a few options in there (I assume that's because it's a demo?) but there are options for AKG701 and Sennheiser HD650... I'm not sure how accurate they are but (to my ears) what they are suggesting from the AKG 701 is quite an 'alteration' to the sound compared to 'flat'.

I don't believe in software mods that should make one headphone sound like another. I am pretty convinced that the real K701, which is after all a studio reference headphone with a build in neutral response, will sound different and much better then some software emu on a bass-boosty HiFi headphone.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 08:56:00 (permalink)
I agree - the software emulation can only be an estimation.... But what I heard from the software seemed to agree with the frequency charts that Soundwise showed above - the Sennheiser's seem to be 'flatter' then the AKGs..

@Soundwise - where did you get those frequency charts from - is there a website that tests headphones and provides these??

Thanks all
Paul

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 09:22:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2017/01/04 13:19:31

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Slugbaby
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 10:14:29 (permalink)
paulf707
Couple of things about the plugin itself - doesn't seem to respond too well to touch screens (not sure why - most buttons seem to need two 'taps' when a mouse is a 'single click'). Also, the plugin drops the volume considerably - this is quite annoying when trying to A-B test this against other plugins.

At least how I use Sonarworks, it's a "set it and forget it" app. The first time I used it, I selected my headphones from the dropdown and set this as default. Now, I just drop the VST in the Master buss FX bin. No extra clicks or setting-changes required. If you don't need to change the settings, I wouldn't worry about the touch compatibility (but that's just me).
As for the volume drop, I noticed that the faders on the right side of the GUI were originally set to lower the output by 3 or 6 Db. I pushed the faders back up to 0 and that solved the volume problem for me.
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't. For me, Sonarworks has been a big help. When I listen on other sources now, there aren't nearly as many surprises in the mix.

fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 10:14:35 (permalink)
But wait, I thought one of the "tricks" was to mix in mono. Once you get the balance right then you can pan things around. Not only that, but then I read that positioning of instruments via panning is very broad. It only makes sense to pan instruments at -90°, 0°, or +90° (and some may argue that ±45° is also useful). Anything else doesn't make much difference because our ears are not very good at interpreting localization cues. If true, then the "enhanced" 3D effect of headphones makes no difference. All you need is frequency response correction. Thoughts?
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2016/12/31 11:31:38 (permalink)
@BitFlipper - thanks for the link - very interesting reading.... Brings into perspective the relatively small differences between many of the high end headphones (compared to the relatively big difference to my current headphones! - looks like any of the ones I've been looking at will be a significant improvement!!)

I'll look again at the SonarWork controls again... I do remember seeing a level control on the right hand side - I though I pushed it as high as it would go, but again, it was struggling to respond to my touch screen, so that could be the answer....

Panning - my views are that I tend to mix most instruments within about 50% left / right, and only push 'special effects' type sounds out to the edges. I've not tried mixing in mono - I always find that with everything default to centre pan it's really hard to distinguish between some sounds, and even a small amount of panning tends to 'separate' them. So I tend to pan sounds early on - but maybe that's not a good idea??

paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/01 01:17:51 (permalink)
OK, spent some more time on the graphs:

Green is what I have now - I knew there was a fairly high 'bass boost', but wasn't really aware if the inaccuracies at the top end (they all seem to suffer from this, but not as much as mine!)
Beyerdynamic DT990 (orange) was another one I was considering that seemed to get good reviews in the price range - but they would appear to be very little improvement over my current ones? (So maybe my Senn's aren't as 'bad' as I thought!)
Red is the AKG702 (one of my original choices), and Blue the Sennheiser HD558 (recommended above) - remarkably similar in bass/mid ranges, with only minor differences in the top end...

So without moving up to more expensive ranges (AKG K712 / Q701, Senn HD650 / HD800 etc) these seem to be my preferred options. I may have to look to see if I can find anywhere nearby that I could try them, but I'm not sure that's feasible....
Otherwise, I'll just make a choice and order one and see how I get on.

Thanks all,
Paul

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/01 04:42:56 (permalink)
paulf707

interesting chart, never bothered to look before but explains why I did not like the DT as it sounded too HiFi (which the bass boost on the chart explains quite clearly)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/01 11:13:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tagruvto 2017/01/01 13:29:31
Don't worry too much about the wild swings in the high end. They are typical for all headphones and not necessarily showstoppers. Look for two things: hyped bass and flatness through around 3-4 KHz. The hyped bass you can compensate for with EQ as long as it's fairly smooth from 60 Hz on up. A flat response in the midrange is going to have a greater impact on mix portability. You can see why the AKG 702 is a studio standard.

However, I don't know how important it is to obsess over minor weaknesses in cans. Have a look at the graph for the very popular ATH-M50s - ugly! Yet they are widely used and, IMO, a good value for editing. Personally, I am a fan of open-back headphones. I've been using those Sennheisers for a few years now and they remain my favorite, although 702s would be a suitable replacement if I ever lost or broke them.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/02 05:10:27 (permalink)
Thanks bitflipper... which Senn's do you use?

fret_man
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/02 09:33:42 (permalink)
Newbie question here (I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread but it seems to fit to me):

I've been looking at the AT R70x which appears to be similar to the Senn HD600 but with extended bass response. It's considered very polite, pleasant to listen to, very comfortable, but doesn't expose details very well, which lets you use it for extended periods with little ear fatigue. Some call this a "veil" over the sound. The Senn HD600 appears to share these traits as well. The sound is considered well balanced.

Then there's something like the AKG702 or DT880 which exposes everything. You hear the details, which could be great for editing but causes ear fatigue after ~1hr or so. And it's considered not as comfy. And many consider its treble hyped.

I have the AT-50x (closed back) for tracking but I'm looking for an open back for editing. Which is considered more important: exposing hyped detail or being able to sit a spell in comfort w/o ear fatigue?

Anything else to consider? I don't have the ability to audition these so I'd like to estimate as best I can to get something I'd like. Style of music: acoustic, folk, Americana, classic rock, pop. No jazz. No metal. No hip-hop. Not yet anyway.

Thanks.
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/02 11:31:03 (permalink)
Welcome to the discussion! - and thanks for bringing more options into view....
I couldn't find the AT models you are looking at on the graphs site, but here are the frequency responses for the others:

From what I've read K702's are considered 'flat' and show the most detail (as you mentioned) - but are possibly a little 'light' on bass response (although slightly better than K701s)
Based on that description the HD600 seem to have similar frequency response. The bass is slightly lower below 40k (but I doubt that is noticeable), but slightly higher above 70k - which I assume would translate into 'more bass'. They do appear to have slightly difference peaks in mid/treble (2k-3k vs 3k-4k) - not really sure how much difference that would make to listening?
The DT880 would appear to have more bass (and DT990 significantly more). They both seem to have a peak around 8k-9k so I assume they would sound considerably different to the other two.

Not sure if that helps....??

fret_man
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/02 15:42:57 (permalink)
Thanks paulf. If you read some of the Hi-Fidelity headphone forums you'll see a general consensus that those freq response graphs are largely meaningless. The various headphones sound different in ways the graph does not address - soundstage (left, right), 3D (front, back), how much punch (some compressive effect?), etc. Then there's the whole "burn-in" aspect. Some phones need it (like the K702) while others don't (R70x). Not sure I buy into any of that, but I also can't argue against people swearing they hear a difference. I'm a big, big believer in frequency response being THE major determination of how a headphone sounds, but I'll be using Sonarworks compensation so the frequency differences should largely be calibrated out. That leaves the other issues such as fatigue, loss of detail, unrealistic soundstage, etc to look out for.

On the one hand, I hate uncomfortable headphones. I wouldn't want to sit with them over an extended time period. On the other hand, I'm not supposed to sit and mix over an extended time period or my ears will lose the ability to listen analytically. It's not really a comfort issue but the loss of ability to distinguish what sounds good (I tweak and tweak and tweak but when I compare to what I started with my tweaks sound horrible). So maybe I don't care about comfort? But I want to mix in an environment that is a joy to work in. Comfortable headphones is part of that. So, it seems I'm back to choosing between comfort with a pleasurable listening experience (AT & Senn) vs one giving me more analytical/detailed editing but somewhat uncomfortable experience (K702 & DT880).

Seeking any opinions and insight from users of both. Who knows, maybe I'd be happy with both.
post edited by fret_man - 2017/01/03 14:41:10
paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/03 12:42:49 (permalink)
I have looked at a number of articles / reviews on head-fi and similar, and I wonder if their needs / requirements etc are different to those we look for (from a mixing perspective). From a logical point of view, I'm also sceptical about the 'burn in' issue, but (as you said) there are far too many people discussing it for it to be completely irrelevant.
I'm coming to the conclusion that while my Senn HD25-SP headphones have their issues, they are not 'that bad' compared to some others. I think I will look at getting some 'open' headphones as I'm keen to see the difference. I'm thinking that if I make sure that the ones I get are significantly different (from a frequency response perspective) to my existing HD25's, then at least (if nothing else) I will have 'different options' for listening / mixing etc. I can use the two different headphones to compare mixes, and also vary the sound (which may help with 'mix fatigue' and similar).

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/03 14:04:42 (permalink)
Avantone has a new set of headphones on the market that's been getting a little buzz.  You might want to look into those.  They're made especially for mixing and have several settings on the headphone.

http://www.americanmusica.com/Item--i-AVN-MP1-LIST

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

paulf707
Re: Headphones for mixing? 2017/01/04 15:05:12 (permalink)
Yep, saw those in the last SoundonSound.... not really sure..... They're a bit above my budget (but if I was that impressed by the idea I'd probably find a way to increase the budget!) - I think I'm discounting them because a) they're closed (I think I want open backed), b) I don't think a 'mono' switch is a particularly great benefit and c) I'm not sure that emulating 'mixcubes' are of particular use/interest to me....
But I have to say I love the design / colour :)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1