Heart&Soul-My Response To James

Author
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
2011/12/16 01:42:06 (permalink)

Heart&Soul-My Response To James

Ok I get where I was going wrong this afternoon, I was born in the year of the Dragon and James was firing salvos at my exposed underbelly, just like in The Hobbit and Smaug.

I handled the argument all wrong, as I say though I am waiting on a RHD degree application and now it would seem I have to wait even longer.

James YoYo, who has no formal education derided me and I allowed him to, this was because of the above statement.

What James in his nativity has not understood, is I am a) formost a composer, with a music technology background, I don't make music for the people, I make music for the heavens.

I hear the grand symphony, when I don't listen to other crap, a shaman would call this stopping the world.

When I can I try and translate what I hear!!

I am a true artist and very experimental in the process, I don't know who branded me self-indulgent but all art is self-indulgent, it is in the nature of artists to be self-indulgement.

Now this is a crossover about a music education, I have a music education and I want to push ideas.  I can because of this music education, somtimes they don't work: The Killing Song, and in this I have another problem with what James has said.

As an artist I don't have to release my pictures in progress and 99% of the stuff I have posted are unfinished pictures, they are experiment's, they are unfinished and they are rushed.

What I am doing is letting you into the process of an artist learning the craft, this is not an ego statement, it is a truth statement!

Here is a picture, that is an experiment it's called Heart and Soul: http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks/heart-and-soul  When I wrote this many years ago aproxx 2005, I was trying to fuse classical and dance.  As Freddie once said I am bringing culture to the masses, ok I am bastardizing that statement but I am trying to reinvent things, mainly because I am bored with the current direction music is taking.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks

17 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/16 02:27:47 (permalink)
    And another thing James, read Geoff Emerick's book "Here There&EveryWhere and then you might understand a thing or two, I am making a stand about perfect music, ****, the world changed, and nobody seems to understand.

Some of you might know of a battle going on in the music industry at the moment between music streaming services and the so little they pay their artists.

I'm just trying to find away through in these changeing times and challenging times as an artist, as a craftsman and as a artisan.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/16 04:27:42 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech

Here is a picture, that is an experiment it's called Heart and Soul: http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks/heart-and-soul  When I wrote this many years ago aproxx 2005, I was trying to fuse classical and dance. 

Well I'm not that James, but I listened to your tune. It has a late '70's, early '80's synth pop feel, like Depeche Mode or early Human league. No hint of classical music in there at all, so I don't think your experiment was successful. Timing drifts out too, a definite no-no for dance music, you'll have people falling over their feet.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/16 08:11:57 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech

And another thing James, read Geoff Emerick's book "Here There&EveryWhere and then you might understand a thing or two, I am making a stand about perfect music, ****, the world changed, and nobody seems to understand.

Peace Ben

Perfection is all too often in the eye of the beholder.

BTW: derision is defined as the use of ridicule or scorn to show contempt. Nothing in my posts could be construed as derision.

And if you are a composer who doesn't make music for the masses, then why the hell do you care what I think of it? Why post this "response" in the first place? Furthermore, why complain that you can't get a job at it? Do your dance with the angels and live off the dole.

Here is some derision, Ben:
    maybe you have some tunes that demonstrate your hard-won degree in music technology, but I haven't heard one that didn't sound mid-heavy, unfocused, and amateur. Just mostly some wankering around with an idea that you obviously did not take the time to complete the thought, nor the process of crafting a complete song. But what do you care? Heaven beckons!

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/16 09:08:47 (permalink)
    I have no wish to jump into this scrap that is going on. 

I will say this about the music.

I went to your sound cloud site to listen to what you have posted.  You have some good stuff and some not so good stuff as do I on my site.   I think you have several songs there that could have been really good, but it seems like you pulled up short before you really got to the finish line with them. 

I got the impression in several that some of the things you did, while you might have thought them to be "creative additions" to the music, for me, the listener... it seemed like all that was accomplished was the same as shooting yourself in the foot, in a musical sense. 

With the education you have in music....degrees and all that,  you know way more then me about composing. There is a huge difference between having a degree in music composition and writing a hit song. The composition part can be taught but the part that comes from the heart generally can not be taught. But I believe it can be learned and nurtured. You get the "heart" part from things you do. Learning more about writing and lyrics and just listening to music that you like.  

Back to the music you write. I said several of the songs were good ideas that didn't seem quite finished. Several of the songs were....for lack of better words... a failed experiment.  Eats..t&die? really? come on.... are there not better ways, more creative ways, to express anger and make a point? 

To me, songwriting is about expressing an idea, in the shortest most concise way, and saying it in a new and unique way, without using cliches, and saying the same thing others have said. 

About the singing. I know I'm not a person who has a "Nashville session singer voice". I accept that. I can sing well enough to hold a tune (melodyne helps in that endeavor). So do what I can. Beyond that, I write instrumentals  where singing is not required or I get an outside singer. 

Was that you singing in Crossroads?  I liked that song. It got a little bit crazy there in the second half.... Your voice is a good voice for certain types of music. There is the key.... find the things you excel at and do them. Eliminate the BS and focus on what you do best.

One of the songs heart & Soul, was an electronica song I'd have left the vox out. If that vocal track had been left out, the tune would have been 100% better... just as a stand alone instrumental dance track.

The whole point here is this. Work with your skill set and continue to develop that skill set.. Understand the weaknesses you have and either work to strengthen them or work around them keeping them out of the music altogether. 

When you get this part together, the music you compose will be so much better as a result. It is a learning experience that we all go through. 

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/12/16 09:13:03

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/16 09:20:24 (permalink)
      I wish I had more time to listen to others music. I try to comment when I do get the chance. Ben
     I think the song is good for what it is, I never got into the trance type of music so I'm probably not the best of critics here.

It seems to fit that form pretty well. I listened through earbuds, so maybe thats why I didn't hear much bottom end. Even if this music doesn't trip everyone's trigger, I think it has potential.

If it were me, I would probably add a few interesting breaks and change up the beats in places to add interest,maybe even add a solo. Even though most tunes are not much over 3 minutes, one solid beat for that whole time tends to loose interest....keep in mind, I'm just tellin' ya what I would do IF IT WERE ME....you do whatever you want, it's your song.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/17 16:51:38 (permalink)
    I think you write interesting stuff Ben. I would'nt call it a classicly influenced though. It seems your following a form so in that, yes. I don't know what is going on between you and James but from just reading this thread, it's just an ego clash. I agree with you about all of us being "self indulgent". Anyone who says they are not is lying to themselves. Accept it and get on with making the music and having fun!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/17 17:44:37 (permalink)
    Guitarpima

I think you write interesting stuff Ben. I would'nt call it a classicly influenced though. It seems your following a form so in that, yes. I don't know what is going on between you and James but from just reading this thread, it's just an ego clash. I agree with you about all of us being "self indulgent". Anyone who says they are not is lying to themselves. Accept it and get on with making the music and having fun!

I made some objective observations in another thread that Ben did not care for. So he wrote that I had said he "sucked" and that I "derided" his efforts, which any fair reading of the events would reveal it to be an out and out lie and a childish overreaction.  Anyone can tell me that they don't like my stuff, I am always fine with. But don't call me out unfairly and then cry about my rebuttal. Ego has nothing to do with it.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/17 18:02:32 (permalink)
    James has a fair point. On a thread of his, I commented on a orchestral piece he did. I liked it but thought there was nothing special going on underneath in the lower instruments. He never gave me heck about it.

TBH, I don't like the trance stuff much so it's hard for me to comment on your stuff. I'll keep listening though so keep the music comin!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    BenMMusTech
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/17 23:03:43 (permalink)
    Ok I am back, James you didn't write anything that I could not handle, I just decided what you had said was misinformend.  I was having a bad day and I allowed you to get to me.

I may have made a mistake in saying you had said some stuff, it was just an interpretation of what you had said and I was trying to get an opinion from you.

As I was saying I was having a bad day but after I thought about what you had said, I realized that I had given in, I am first and foremost an artist.  So I don't really care about whether I make popular music, hence the statement about music for the heavens.  Of course if I stumble upon a hit even better.

Actually Guitarpima, Heart and Soul is a classical form ,it's either Strophic, which is one musical idea repeated or binary which means it has two motifs repeated.  It's more than likely binary, which in Classical Music funnily enough is what a classical composer would have called dance music.

Peace Ben

PS.Oh and sorry James, I don't wan't to be considered one of the trolls and all opinions are listened to by me.

post edited by BenMMusTech - 2011/12/17 23:06:02

drma173
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/17 23:25:33 (permalink)
    Im going to be honest I didnt like it but it just my opinion please dont take get seriously. 
    BenMMusTech
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/18 00:08:53 (permalink)
    drma173

Im going to be honest I didnt like it but it just my opinion please dont take get seriously. 

That's fine, it's just an experimental peice which is a throwaway anyway.

Peace Ben

Guitarhacker
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/18 08:39:22 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech

..... Of course if I stumble upon a hit even better.

Peace Ben

Generally speaking, from knowing songwriters who have hits and talking with them and listening to what they say with care, and working to write songs that are acceptable to the music world myself, a hit is not generally stumbled upon..... kinda like the infinite number of moneys with typewriters hoping to compose a Shakespeare classic..... chances are slim that you will "stumble" upon a hit.
    No, a hit is instead,  a well thought out, carefully crafted and well written piece of art.  Even in the fields that we (I) make fun of like hip hop and pop..... just try writing a song for B Spears, it's not so easy. There are exceptions to every rule, ( I think the "Friday " song might qualify as an exception... but it does have a hook to die for... evidence of good writing or just a lucky "stumble"?  IDK. )  but just as the "overnight success" band or artist has generally been working on that "overnight success" for years, same thing applies to the art and craft of songwriting. 

Write, write, write...and then write some more. That's the only way to get good at writing. But know where you want to go. 

BMI/NSAI

BenMMusTech
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/18 17:11:00 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

BenMMusTech

..... Of course if I stumble upon a hit even better.

Peace Ben

Generally speaking, from knowing songwriters who have hits and talking with them and listening to what they say with care, and working to write songs that are acceptable to the music world myself, a hit is not generally stumbled upon..... kinda like the infinite number of moneys with typewriters hoping to compose a Shakespeare classic..... chances are slim that you will "stumble" upon a hit.
    No, a hit is instead,  a well thought out, carefully crafted and well written piece of art.  Even in the fields that we (I) make fun of like hip hop and pop..... just try writing a song for B Spears, it's not so easy. There are exceptions to every rule, ( I think the "Friday " song might qualify as an exception... but it does have a hook to die for... evidence of good writing or just a lucky "stumble"?  IDK. )  but just as the "overnight success" band or artist has generally been working on that "overnight success" for years, same thing applies to the art and craft of songwriting. 

Write, write, write...and then write some more. That's the only way to get good at writing. But know where you want to go. 

But that is my point Herb, christ for an educated ****, I am dumb.  That is exactly what I was saying, all I am doing is showing the process of the artist learning his craft.  Forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think I have ever burst onto this forum and said "I HAVE DONE IT".

I am naked and James decided to kick me because he didn't think and understand that this was an artist showing everything.  It's like Van Gough showing a half finsihed Stary Night or Leonardo showing a half finished Mona Lisa.

As an artist I am one of those that prefers to show everything, you won't come to my studio and here me say, no you can't hear that I am not finished, hence the naked statement.

The other problem was none of the tracks I have put up apart from one or two are made on good quality equipment, like I have now, so you can understand the discrepancy between quality.

Finally because of the converstaions I have had on this forum I am learning and learning fast.  I have more than a modest studio now, as I said the quality difference say between Now and Then and Girl, compared to Tuesday Morning and The Killing Song is massive.

I'm settled for the time being my studio is almost all set up gain, I don't have a screaming harpy in my ear and I am armed with a fistfull of knowledge, thanks in part to you lot.

Peace Ben

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/18 17:20:58 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I think the "Friday " song might qualify as an exception... but it does have a hook to die for... evidence of good writing or just a lucky "stumble"?  IDK.
    That Friday song used the same hook that's been around since the early 50's. C-Am-F-G. Well, the first recorded proof of it's use was around that time, I'm sure it's been used long before that. There's something about that chord progression that does something to the human brain, I'm convinced of that because of all the hits that have been made off of it.

There are thousands of songs with that chord structure from 50's doo wop to 80's Pop to the 2000's Friday song. And yet people still love it and accept it as something new.

As for your tune Ben, I'm not feeling it like I have your other songs. But I still am convinced that 'When I Was Born' could be a hit (without that ending of course). ;)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    BenMMusTech
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/18 17:21:40 (permalink)
    And the other reason I took such offence as what James said, was, even when I hear something I don't like on this forum, I try and find something good.

It's about encouragement and sometimes we have become to obsessed by perfection, we are not robot's but flesh interacting with machines.  Our bodies are machines but the chemicals in our brains are what make us different form machines, so I am never going to try and mimic a machine with my music unless I am makeing a song about machine's.

Peace Ben

BenMMusTech
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/18 17:24:17 (permalink)
    Bub

Guitarhacker

I think the "Friday " song might qualify as an exception... but it does have a hook to die for... evidence of good writing or just a lucky "stumble"?  IDK.
    That Friday song used the same hook that's been around since the early 50's. C-Am-F-G. Well, the first recorded proof of it's use was around that time, I'm sure it's been used long before that. There's something about that chord progression that does something to the human brain, I'm convinced of that because of all the hits that have been made off of it.

There are thousands of songs with that chord structure from 50's doo wop to 80's Pop to the 2000's Friday song. And yet people still love it and accept it as something new.

As for your tune Ben, I'm not feeling it like I have your other songs. But I still am convinced that 'When I Was Born' could be a hit (without that ending of course). ;)

Thanks bub, yea Heart and Soul is just a bit arty wank, an experiment and a point I was makeing.  I expect no one to like it.

Peace Ben

Guitarhacker
    Re:Heart&Soul-My Response To James 2011/12/19 08:20:43 (permalink)
    Ben .... I wouldn't say you are dumb by any stretch of the imagination, perhaps just a musician who is still searching for their true musical direction and hasn't quite found it yet. 

When you find it, things will click, the puzzle pieces will fit, and you will know it.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1