AnsweredHello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please

Author
LouieBlu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2017/06/13 16:39:36 (permalink)

Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please

Hello to all , I just purchased Sonar Platinum and I would like to know if there are some videos to help me get started,.

I have been to the Sonar University but I click on Get Started and I am still like HUH lol, Would like to learn the Basics Like How to use The Instruments that come with Platinum I have a midi controller it is a Nektar Impact LX61, Also some basic recordings, for instance if I play something I like with the Instruments that come with Platinum how can I record it ETC...
Sorry guys I am a Total Newbie at this but I just want to learn the basics right now.
would like to know if there are other user friendly videos out there

Thanks for your time :)
Louie
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/13 16:46:38 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby LouieBlu 2017/06/14 00:22:57
Hello and welcome!
There are a ton of good vids on youtube, also check out the vids on Groove3.
If you have any specific questions this is a good place to ask them, there are a lot of really good folks around here that know the program well.
Good luck and have fun!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/13 18:44:33 (permalink)
LouieBlu
Hello to all , I just purchased Sonar Platinum and I would like to know if there are some videos to help me get started,.

I have been to the Sonar University but I click on Get Started and I am still like HUH lol, Would like to learn the Basics Like How to use The Instruments that come with Platinum I have a midi controller it is a Nektar Impact LX61, Also some basic recordings, for instance if I play something I like with the Instruments that come with Platinum how can I record it ETC...
Sorry guys I am a Total Newbie at this but I just want to learn the basics right now.
would like to know if there are other user friendly videos out there

Thanks for your time :)
Louie

This is for X2, but much of the basic functionally (and look) will be the same

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj

Plat has a number of updates and new toys that are not in there.  But as for a free resource that will get you going, it doesn't get much better.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/13 20:12:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2017/06/14 01:01:19
If you are literate, there is a much better way to learn the basics than by watching videos. Even if a video is excellent, and most are blazingly fast pointer jumps around a screenshot with perfunctory commentary by someone so used to the program that everything seems obvious to him, it is a tediously slow way to present information. First, as Dante advises, abandon all hope ye who enter, at least if you expect to be able to use a complex program without "wasting" time in a disciplined study to understand it. Then, once you realize that you need to waste a considerable amount of time, locate the Sonar Tutorials, and work through them. 
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3

The instruments are mainly documented via the help available when they are loaded, but I find the documentation for the instruments is not always up to the quality of the SONAR program reference. Still learning how to load a preset, and connect to a SONAR track, is something that you can master pretty easily for most instruments. On the other hand, there is a lot more turn-the-knob-and-hear-what-happens required in programming synths than in almost any other technical learning that I have experienced. Knowing a lot about how sounds are produced in different kinds of synths may remove some of the mystery, but it rarely yields facility with any particular instantiation of that synth type, just as an understanding of the basic physics of how a trumpet produces a sound is not very helpful in learning how to get a good tone using your lips and lungs.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/13 20:15:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LouieBlu 2017/06/14 01:03:22
Brian Walton

This is for X2, but much of the basic functionally (and look) will be the same

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj

Plat has a number of updates and new toys that are not in there.  But as for a free resource that will get you going, it doesn't get much better.

These are the chapter contents/vid lengths for ease of use that go with that YouTube videos link, where they are just numbered.  SWA Complete Sonar X2 - Video Tutorials (9hrs) - FREE
http://steamcommunity.com/app/241070/discussions/0/613936039427400097/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/13 22:34:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LouieBlu 2017/06/14 01:03:18
Welcome to our little corner of the interwebs, Louie. 

That initial hump in the learning curve is a tough hill to climb (it gets easier!), and unfortunately most of the tutorial videos out there are for intermediate users. We try to be helpful here, but sometimes we do make assumptions about what others already know (guilty!). When I was an electronics instructor, I'd tell my students that if I ever talk over your head it's my fault, not yours. When that happens - and it will - stop me and demand a better explanation. Same goes here.

It would help us help you if you'd describe what kind of music you're into. For example, are you a singer-songwriter, an electronic dance music enthusiast, an orchestrator doing epic film scores, a trad-jazz musician, metalhead, folkie or rapper? Sure, all genres share commonalities. But learning to record straight audio versus learning MIDI-based virtual instruments, for example, those are two different cans of the proverbial worms. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
LouieBlu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/14 00:30:37 (permalink)
Thank you all I like the Groove 3 option and the YouTube videos for Sonar X2 are very detailed a little too much for me as a beginner but I gotta start somewhere right... lol
I am a songwriter, but I haven't written in years, and when I used to write all I had was My Roland Juno 106 and and a notepad to write down the song structure and lyrics , then from there i would go into a studio and record.

Things are much different these days lol I like the fact that I can record from my home , but just learning something like this is pretty complex, although I am sure it is worth it in the end, I write everything From Rock to Dance .

Thank you guys for all the help much appreciated.
Louie
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/14 00:45:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LouieBlu 2017/06/14 01:03:00
LouieBlu
Thank you all I like the Groove 3 option

As far as Groove 3 goes, it has some great getting started material.  I signed up for their monthly all-access subscription, but you can cancel anytime.  Grab a month or two here and there to catch up.  Cool!

This is a good Groove 3 explanation for how to make a song from start to finish.  It uses Reaper for the demo, so it may be a bit confusing compared to Sonar, but the essential tasks would be the same for any DAW.

If you see anything here that you want to learn how to do in Sonar, you can always search the help, or ask on the forum!

https://www.groove3.com/reaper-training-video-tutorials/First-Song-with-REAPER

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Hello All New to Sonar Platinum need some guidance please 2017/06/14 01:01:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LouieBlu 2017/06/14 01:02:56
slartabartfast
If you are literate, there is a much better way to learn the basics than by watching videos. Even if a video is excellent, and most are blazingly fast pointer jumps around a screenshot with perfunctory commentary by someone so used to the program that everything seems obvious to him, it is a tediously slow way to present information. First, as Dante advises, abandon all hope ye who enter, at least if you expect to be able to use a complex program without "wasting" time in a disciplined study to understand it. Then, once you realize that you need to waste a considerable amount of time, locate the Sonar Tutorials, and work through them. 
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3

The instruments are mainly documented via the help available when they are loaded, but I find the documentation for the instruments is not always up to the quality of the SONAR program reference. Still learning how to load a preset, and connect to a SONAR track, is something that you can master pretty easily for most instruments. On the other hand, there is a lot more turn-the-knob-and-hear-what-happens required in programming synths than in almost any other technical learning that I have experienced. Knowing a lot about how sounds are produced in different kinds of synths may remove some of the mystery, but it rarely yields facility with any particular instantiation of that synth type, just as an understanding of the basic physics of how a trumpet produces a sound is not very helpful in learning how to get a good tone using your lips and lungs.

I think this is the best post on learning Sonar I have ever read. I posted many through the years but none of mine or any others have been as candid or so well written.

Best
John
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1