Helpful ReplyHello Everybody!

Author
Nino Vargas
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 225
2017/05/11 00:48:18 (permalink)

Hello Everybody!

Hello Everybody!
I would like to ask a question and I would like to have your answers and those of the most experienced as sincere as possible. What is for you to be a "professional"? If you have the best plugins, the best hardware, or just do a good job with what you have? What is a "Pro" for you ??
Thanks for answering me as sincerely as possible!
Nino
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 00:56:56 (permalink)
depends what you are talking about, if it's music, it's literally making a living out of it, and with that all the other stuff you mentioned, plugs, hardware, skill, will have already, or being in the process (never ending) of being taken care of.

on the other hand if it is being a professional clown, well then you have come to the right place, just have a look around the coffee house and you will see many fine examples, study it, and it will serve you well, and you will thrive (<<< the obligatory wink, i really am being sincere) 

the coffee house is not the place if you are looking for 'sincere', it is foreign to this place, unheard of 

Nino Vargas
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 01:16:25 (permalink)
I  think that here is a music forum, right? Unless it has changed ... I'm joking and of course;) Thank you for your sincere reply Mr;)
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 06:39:56 (permalink)
'Professional' means belonging to a profession; getting paid for what you do, as opposed to 'amateur'.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Nino Vargas
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 10:46:54 (permalink)

I would not know if you had not said
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 12:35:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/05/11 12:43:46
It's a pretty weird question.  The assumed goal for "professional" seems to mean that you get enough income from it to be your primary source of income.
If you mean "professional quality," it's more based an ability to write, record, or whatever your focus is.
I'm not a professional musician, but I put out "professional quality" music (i think).  I usually make enough money from it to buy my beer, but that's about it.  
It really has nothing to do with the best plugins or hardware.  The most talented artists can make great music with the most basic equipment.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 16:22:27 (permalink)
I have professional tools.

I'm an amateur when it comes to being paid for what I do. I think that has to do with the fact that I do not have clients nor do I have a website to advertise my services.
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 16:51:26 (permalink)
Hi,

Nowadays, with the proliferation of everything out there, it is really hard to specify a good definition, if I may say so.

There are many fine folks, even here, that do a very professional job on their work, and they are not getting credit for it, and it makes a lot of the so-called "professionals" look really bad, and wasteful in an oversize environment, when (even) some folks here would likely do a better job and organize things better.

All in all, my take on it these days differs, and "professional" really means that you take your work seriously and that you work on it, continuously, and the public affection, or derision, is not an issue, or program that bothers you ... your work, and how you define it and work it, is the "source", and thus, saying that you are not a "professional" about it, is sort of like saying that you are an amateur.

I would never EVER consider Bapu, and many other folks in this board, amateurs in any sense of the word. They are professionals of the highest caliber and I would trust them with my work to add something and polish it, and still be happy with what they did, since they would not be able to mangle it up any more than I did!

Look in the mirror. Look at your work. How professional are you about it?

There are many painters that had 1000 pieces of work before anyone noticed. There are many folks that had 150/200 songs before anyone noticed. And saying they were not "professional" is not fair to the dedication they have for their work.

The same goes for my writing, and music/film reviews. I study these things forever and love them dearly and will discuss them a lot.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Nino Vargas
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 17:16:25 (permalink)
Thank you Mr, I ask the question because as a beginner in music, sometimes it is dificil to know who has to really trust ... Even if I am a beginner, I have already had quite a few disappointments, People who said they were "pro" in what they were doing, but in reality it was not the case ... That's why I try to have different opinions ... Thank you for your answers
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 20:55:14 (permalink)
Professional can mean engaged in one of the "learned professions" (law, medicine etc.) and by extension to the ethical and businesslike aspects of behavior expected (and often enforced by law or rules) from such professions. In general that is not the primary meaning for musicians or tradesmen.

Professional in general should mean that the person or his work is being paid for by someone, sometimes it is extended to mean that the professional work is the sole source of income.  There is a general conflation between professional and expert, or even excellent. Often a person who makes a living at a task, performs it better than someone who does it for love (a amateur) or does it consistently for entertainment (a hobbyist) or does it with no particular commitment or consistency (a dabbler), or fabricates or exaggerates his ability to do it to impress others (a poseur). But, as anyone with any experience in paying people for work will soon learn, doing work for money is no guarantee that either the work will be of high quality or the worker will be an expert. 

In the marketing of music related goods and services the modifier "professional" is often, as you have apparently discovered, just hype. High quality musical instruments or software are generally preferred by people making their living at music, if they are making enough to afford the prices, but high quality work is often done with quite modest equipment. And owning music or audio products preferred by experts obviously does not make one an expert, any more than owning a scalpel makes one a surgeon. 

Nino Vargas
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/11 21:00:15 (permalink)
slartabartfast
Professional can mean engaged in one of the "learned professions" (law, medicine etc.) 

Really? I did not know ... Thanks for your sincere reply ...
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/12 13:15:41 (permalink)
I see that you're Parisian.
See this mess of opinions on one single descriptive word?  Is it an adverb?  Is it an adjective?  What does it really mean?  Nobody is sure.
Welcome to the English language!   Hahaha. 

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Nino Vargas
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/12 13:35:28 (permalink)
I m not Parisian, I m Brazilian and from where I come one of the most important things is  convey the message ... or at least try   chuss   
Nino Vargas
Re: Hello Everybody! 2017/05/12 13:56:37 (permalink)
Hummm I think I'll make YouTube tutorials also
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1