Help & Advice on Multi-PC Studio

Author
brendantownsend
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
2005/10/13 21:33:12 (permalink)

Help & Advice on Multi-PC Studio

Hello All.

Having used my trusty, rock-stable XV-5080 for almost a couple of years now, and since trying soft-synths and quality samples, I'm now leaning towards additional processing power in support of a software-based setup. The XV has been great but it's just that most of the best ROM samples on the four fitted Roland's leading-edge SRX expansions and the two SR-JV expansions no longer "cut the mustard" for me.

With Eastwest's "RA" in the post to add to my growing collection, with the intention of adding Symphonic Orchestra, Stormdrum, etc., processing power is therefore going to be a real premium.

My questions are as follows...

Should I sell the XV and external HDD, and use the funds to cover the cost of at-least one or two more high-spec computer(s) to begin with (probably a P4 3.8 for stability) and additional software?

How might I avoid having a KVM switch to initialise the additional PC (or PC's) every time I switch the gear on? Is there software available to facilitate automatic software initialisation of the additional PC(s) from power-up, perhaps even through networking? I'm presuming that MIDI will still be required in use.

Has anybody successfully done this themselves and what is the configuration and their experiences? Should I be looking towards Mac's for stability or is Linux ever likely to be an alternative if I should go the PC route (noting that I'm just sick to death of bloated/unstable M$ cr*p).

Many thanks,
Brendan.

3 Replies Related Threads

brendantownsend
    RE: Help & Advice on Multi-PC Studio 2005/10/15 04:53:53 (permalink)
    Has anybody successfully done this themselves and what is the configuration and their experiences?

Maybe not then.

Oh well, thanks for looking

Brendan.
    post edited by brendantownsend - 2005/10/15 05:01:53

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Help & Advice on Multi-PC Studio 2005/10/16 16:46:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: brendantownsend
    Should I sell the XV and external HDD, and use the funds to cover the cost of at-least one or two more high-spec computer(s) to begin with (probably a P4 3.8 for stability) and additional software?

If you were to sell your XV, would you then lose the ability to use the synths that you currently have in your setup? If so, I say hold on to your present hardware. If you will really never use it again, then I would say ditch it.

Why are you considering more than one computer? Machines now are so powerful you might be able to get by with just one box.

How might I avoid having a KVM switch to initialise the additional PC (or PC's) every time I switch the gear on? Is there software available to facilitate automatic software initialisation of the additional PC(s) from power-up, perhaps even through networking? I'm presuming that MIDI will still be required in use.

I don't know that I understand your question. If you turn a computer on, what more would you like to happen besides the operating system loading itself? If you would like programs to automatically run at startup, you can drop shortcuts in the "Startup" folder in the Start menu. If you have two boxes and want to do work on both of them without a KVM switch, you would need some kind of remote control software (UltraVNC, PCAnywhere, Citrix, et al.). Ultra VNC is free, but a KVM switch would be cheaper and more satisfying than any software setup over a LAN.

Has anybody successfully done this themselves and what is the configuration and their experiences?

I've set up remote connections and use KVM switches at home and work, but I have not done what you are discussing.

Should I be looking towards Mac's for stability or is Linux ever likely to be an alternative if I should go the PC route (noting that I'm just sick to death of bloated/unstable M$ cr*p).

Some folks really like Macs. At present, Mac hardware is pretty underpowered, although that will change in about a year. As you may know, Apple is switching to Intel processors next year. MacOS is supposed to be a nice OS, however. I am a fan of Linux, but unless you want to spend lots of time pulling your hair out, I recommend against it at present. If you think Windows applications are buggy and unstable, just give some open source specialty apps a spin. You will be wishing you were back in Windows. I am not putting Linux or OSS down here, but there is still a lot of work yet to be done before Linux for desktop applications really shines.

MS has its problems, but in all honesty, Windows XP is a pretty amazing platform. I don't mean to sound like an MS fanboy, but they really did a nice job making a stable, easy to use, and affordable OS. At present, your best bets are Mac and Windows.
    post edited by Thomas Campitelli - 2005/10/16 16:55:25

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    brendantownsend
    RE: Help & Advice on Multi-PC Studio 2005/10/16 20:38:19 (permalink)
    Thank you Thomas - this is exactly the kind of insight that I was looking for.

If you were to sell your XV, would you then lose the ability to use the synths that you currently have in your setup? If so, I say hold on to your present hardware. If you will really never use it again, then I would say ditch it.

I must admit that I would miss the XV as it's offered brilliant performance and stability, though the downside is the tell-tale quality of the ROM samples - both native to the instrument and on the expansions. When I first owned it the sounds were to die for, though having since used high-quality PC-based soft-samples then the XV has been relegated to background fills (etc). It's still very useful in that respect and I may just hang on to it for a while yet - at-least until I'm satisfied that I have enough soft-samples to keep me going, though I anticipate that to sell it would free up significant revenue to fund PC-based expansion.

Why are you considering more than one computer? Machines now are so powerful you might be able to get by with just one box.

I currently have two boot drives on my P4 3GHz machine, with one SATA drive dedicated to music creation with Project 5v2, Sonar 4, and Kompact/Kontakt (virtual instrument for Eastwest Quantum Leap "RA" - 72 instruments totalling over 14Gb of samples). Currently I intend to complement this at-least with Eastwest's Stormdrum and Symphonic Orchestra Gold, and no-doubt other equally-large sample sets. However, Eastwest for example recommend a minimum of four high-end PC's to take advantage of all features in the Platinum version of their Symphonic Orchestra for rich orchestrations, so I'm thinking that I'll need at-least another computer for what I have in-mind as I'm stereo-only at the moment.

Now Kontakt's "Direct-From-Disk extension works extremely well in buffering selected (huge) samples in real-time from disk and therefore the 4Gb memory limit with the 32-bit XP is quite sufficient, so the issue is more about the processing overhead (reverb, compression, etc). Furthermore, if I wanted to throw in a Z3TA-or-two, along with a few other resource-hungry synths with polyphony, then the poor ol' CPU would probably start to incandesce! This is just an ASIO thing as much as CPU power, so I'm thinking in terms of at-least an additional PC to share the load, both by CPU and sound card. I could then either premix the tracks from the second box and stream into the first (primary) box via SPDIF (for example) to preserve S/N. I would also have the option of effects-processing independent channels on the second box or doing this on the primary box, based on use/resources and overall convenience.

If you turn a computer on, what more would you like to happen besides the operating system loading itself? If you would like programs to automatically run at startup, you can drop shortcuts in the "Startup" folder in the Start menu.

Yes, this has recently occurred to me. You can pre-configure Kompakt with a maximum of eight separate MIDI channels to control loaded samples/elements separately in a single instance of the Kompakt virtual instrument. Furthermore, Kompakt can be run as a stand-alone so that all I should need to do is pre-configure it (effectively as a bank) with the necessary samples and just save the configuration to reflect what it's for (either the name of the song or generic template - such as "Orchestral Strings" for example). There's probably a way of calling Kompakt, complete with a named configuration, from the Windows Start-Up group although a KVM would add minimal inconvenience to do this manually from startup. Once started then it would simply be a case of piping MIDI messages from the primary PC to the second.

The alternative to this would be to either (a) open up Project 5 with separate pre-configured VI's on each track, or (b) to do a similar thing in Sonar with the VI's on separate audio channels complimented by associated MIDI channels to route control messages to the VI's on the audio tracks. Either way, not quite as straightforward as just opening a standalone Kompakt engine but obviously more flexible and still easily configurable.

MS has its problems, but in all honesty, Windows XP is a pretty amazing platform. I don't mean to sound like an MS fanboy, but they really did a nice job making a stable, easy to use, and affordable OS. At present, your best bets are Mac and Windows.

I'll admit that this was probably a case of "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" on my part. I haven't tried Linux or Mac, though all I've had to go on is the way that others rave about these alternatives to M$ and PC's. XP is certainly very good but I think it's very bloated with multimedia and security features that may be desirable to kill off to preserve system resources, and then there's the registry edits to kill off those stupid info bubbles with poppy noises that drive me to distraction. However, I hear what you are saying so I'll stick with M$ XP-Pro for now in the hope that Linux will eventually be sufficiently polished for the PC - the most inexpensive of hardware platforms

Thank you again.

Brendan.

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1