Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up!

Author
Musikman
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2017/04/11 22:57:16 (permalink)

Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up!

Hi, I hope someone out there can help me with this.

After successfully completely installing Platinum last week, I remembered a couple of Dimension Pro expansion paks I used to use. They were missing from my Command Center, so after emailing support, the tech added them in CC and I installed them. They finished installing, but did not show up in the presets list of DimPro, even after trying to refresh with F5 in the presets window.

Now it seems my DimPro sounds are all messed up!  This is aggravating to say the least, and support is taking several days to get back to me. When I load a piano preset it sounds more like a strings or harmonium sound instead of like a piano. Similar problems with other presets not sounding as they should. Does anyone know the best way to uninstall only Dimension Pro?....or should I uninstall Platinum altogether?? I think I'm gonna have to uninstall one or the other, and try reinstalling it to see if that fixes the problem. Anyone help please? Thanks!
***UPDATE: After further checking it looks like Rapture sounds, and also Rapture Session sounds are messed up the same way too, pianos sounding like strings, and other sounds not the way they're supposed to sound.  Looks like something got corrupted here, I'm thinking maybe I have to uninstall DimPro, Rapture, and Rapture Session, or uninstall and re-intstall Platinum altogether, which I'd rather not have to do. Don't know if this is anything, but there was also a Win10 update that installed a Windows security update, and an Adobe Flash Player update, maybe I should uninstall those updates. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

***UPDATE 2:
I tried using Command Center to "re-install" DimPro, the
only option that CC gives me is "re-install", there's no option to "uninstall"
the current version, so I tried the Command Center re-install and it seemed to
install DimPro, but then CC just kept hanging, saying it was still installing
DimPro but almost an hour had passed, so I had to manually close CC. When I
opened Platinum, DimPro was installed, but I was having the same problem as
before with the sounds not being correct. Is there a way to do a clean install
for the virtual instruments? Maybe I need to "uninstall" DimPro and Rapture, and
Rapture Session before trying to re-install them, can anyone advise?

Additional information when I checked folders to see if/where the multisamples went to when I installed those expansion paks.....

It looks like when I installed the two DimPro Expansion Paks, the multisamples went into the DimPro Multisample folder as follows.....

The first one: Pgm Files/Cakewalk/DimensionPro/Multisamples/Digital Sound Factory Hollywood SFX/Hollywood SFX Samples

The second one: Pgm Files/Cakewalk/DimensionPro/Multisamples/Digital Sound Factory Keys/DSF Classic Keys Samples

So it looks like it installed into the main Dimension Pro Multisamples folder ok, but they're not showing up when I open Dimension Pro and its presets window in a project, even after pressing F5 to refresh the presets, and even after re-starting Platinum. Tried this a couple of times with no luck. Somehow my sounds got messed up.

Sorry, this is all the information I can give at this point, if anyone can help here, much appreciated, thank you.

(My other post regarding installation of the expansion paks....)
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3588928.aspx#3589342

MM
post edited by Musikman - 2017/04/12 22:24:54

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64bit, AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9-380

14 Replies Related Threads

Musikman
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/12 22:24:11 (permalink)
    Hi All,

I have not heard from support yet, so I have proceeded to uninstall DimPro, Rapture, and Rapture Session. It seems Rapture and Rapture Session uninstalled ok, but after running the DimPro Uninstaller program, it gave me the message that is was finished uninstalling, however, when I looked in the folder Pgm Files/Cakewalk/, there was the Dimension Pro Folder and all the Multisamples were all still there, Including the Multisamples for the two Expansion Paks. In Platinum there was no longer DimPro showing on the list of Synths, so I just went ahead and manually deleted the Dimension Pro folder and all the Multisamples. I did a search for any leftover files that I could find and I think I got them all, but not 100% sure.

I re-booted my PC just in case, then went into Command Center. On my products list, Rapture and Rapture Pro had a red button, indicating they were not installed, however, D-Pro and its two Expansion Paks had a green button next to them, as if CC was detecting D-Pro and the Exp Paks were still installed, and the only option CC was showing was "Re-Install". I right clicked on D-Pro in the products list and chose "delete files", but that didn't seem to change anything. If you have read my previous posts, I mentioned that when I tried the re-install of D-Pro from Command Center, it got stuck hanging, saying it was still installing when in fact it was already done, this went on for an hour and I finally manually stopped and closed Command Center.

It seems I may be able to re-install Rapture and Rapture Session using Command Center, but I'm going to wait for instructions from support or answers here before trying to re-install Dimension Pro and the Exp Paks. It seems CC is somehow detecting D-Pro is still installed already, when in fact it is NOT. I think I need to somehow get the buttons next to D-Pro and the two Exp Paks to change from green to red in Command Center before it can install D-Pro correctly. I also did a clean re-install of Command Center just in case.  Any help or advice would be appreciated. Until then I'm going to hold off on installing anything. Thanks guys, hope someone out there has some insight on this.

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/12 22:55:16 (permalink)
    something might have got corrupt during the download.
    I'd also give a quick look at my Audio/midi settings, soundcard as I've seen soundcards do some strange things in the past.

Have you tried playing some midi files that you have used in the past and you know they work perfect ?
    It could also be some type of midi file that has controller data making the file sound messed up or even a bad midi file, I would try using a few different kinds of midi files (if that's how your checking this).

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/12 22:57:25 (permalink)
    Do you still have your previous DimPro installation on another computer? If so, you can copy over the multisamples and programs to their appropriate folders. This avoids having to install expansion packs, whose installers often end putting them in the wrong place anyway. Similarly with Rapture.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/12 23:11:10 (permalink)
    This is what I have done for several PCs. After installing, I wipe out the Mutlisample and program directories and replace them with folders I have built up over the years.

As far was why DPro still left folders, the uninstaller will not remove folders if files were added after the installation. Because the expansion packs were added after the install, the folders will not be automatically uninstalled.

If you ran a DPro uninstall from Windows the Command has no idea it was removed. There still should be a reinstall option which will run the installer from the Command Center. As a rule if something is installed using the Command Center, it should be managed exclusively in the Command Center. Performing maintenance operations from Windows will not get reflected in the Command Center.
    Musikman
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/12 23:20:13 (permalink)
    Chuckebaby....I am using my Behringer usb mixer as my sound card for now, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. As for it being a MIDI file, I really don't use MIDI files outside of just recording VST synth tracks, I generally record mostly audio tracks, except when I want to record a VST synth, then it's just playing the part using the VST and recording it to a track. Plus I haven't used Platinum much at all since installing it only a week or so ago, just basically watching training videos and trying to get familiar with Platinum, as there is a lot that is new to me, coming from Producer 8.5.3.  I agree something got corrupted though. That said, acoustic piano sounds in the other remaining VSTs seem to be fine.

Kev999...I don't have another DimPro installation on another PC, however I have the old Expansion Pak installation files somewhere.  When I installed the Expansion Paks using Command Center, it seemed to put the Multisamples in the correct folders and directory ie...Pgm Files/Cakewalk/Dimension Pro/, however when I tried refreshing the presets window in DimPro using the recommended F5 command, they didn't show up.  As far as the sounds that are/were not playing correctly, I don't know if it was the installation of the Exp Paks that caused that, or something else. I did have a Win 10 update prior to finding the problem, so really can't say. However, at this point since I've already uninstalled DimPro, Rapture, and Rapture Session, I'd just like to figure out why Command Center still shows a Green button next to D-Pro and its Exp paks in my product list, as if they are still installed, when in fact they're not.  The Red button next to Rapture and Rapture Session tell me that those got uninstalled correctly, but D-Pro and the Exp may still have files on my PC somewhere that Command Center is still detecting. I think I'll be okay if I can just get to the point where CC doesn't think D-Pro is still installed and the Green button changes to Red again (just like when I uninstalled Rapture and Rapture Session). Something is preventing Command Center from detecting that D-Pro has been uninstalled and needs to be installed, otherwise that button would be Red, not Green, if that makes sense..

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/12 23:57:52 (permalink)
    Musikman
    ...When I installed the Expansion Paks using Command Center, it seemed to put the Multisamples in the correct folders and directory ie...Pgm Files/Cakewalk/Dimension Pro/, however when I tried refreshing the presets window in DimPro using the recommended F5 command, they didn't show up...

It's possible that there might be a duplicate set of DimPro multisamples on your PC and that the expansion packs are in one set and not the other. To test whether the multisamples that you have found are the same set as DimPro is pointing to, try creating a dummy folder there. Give it a silly name. Then run DimPro and click on the "Load multisample" box and see if the folder is visible.

By the way, pressing F5 refreshes the program list, not the multisamples.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Musikman
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 01:37:18 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'm glad to be getting some suggestions here, much appreciated!  Sounds like a possibility, except as I mentioned above, I have already uninstalled DimPro, so it's not in the synth list in Platinum anymore, so I can't run it. How would I go about trying to find a second copy of the multisamples and the folders? After uninstalling, I already did a file search for "dimension Pro" and nothing came up, that's why I thought I had completely uninstalled it.  I'm thinking maybe when I open Command Center it's scanning for installed programs and it must be seeing some fragment of DimPro somewhere to make it think it's still installed, that's why the button is green next to DimPro in my products list in CC.....but what files is it seeing, and where? Maybe it's still seeing a registry file?  I figured the DimPro uninstaller would have removed any remaining files, but there's obviously something CC is still seeing.

If I can get DimPro installed again properly and it's still not seeing the Exp Paks after I install those, then I'll try what you mentioned about creating a dummy folder. So, let me get this straight, if I click on the "load multisample" box in DimPro, that will tell me what directory and folder DimPro is pointing to, correct? Then I can make the dummy folder, etc...to test. (after I can first figure out how to fix why CC is corrupting the DimPro install)

I didn't know that about F5. In Sonar producer 8.5 when I did the F5, the two expansion paks appeared in the program list and ran fine. I have to see if I have the old installation instructions for the Exp Paks and try installing them from the old install files maybe.  But again, I first have to get DimPro fragments removed (wherever they are) so that CC will no longer thing DimPro is already installed, because that seems to corrupt the installation every time, and CC just keeps trying to install DimPro and hangs indefinitely. Gotta find and get rid of whatever fragments didn't get uninstalled before I can do anything.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 01:56:08 (permalink)
    Musikman
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 02:18:32 (permalink)
    Hey scook, how's it going man? Thanks, yeah I had gotten that link from someone else too. The old ones I have are similar, but they are named DimPro Exp Paks 1 & 2 (DPXP1 & DPXP2), and DimPro Hollywood SFX Pak (which is actually DSF Expansion 10).
    From looking at the install instructions I have, my Paks 1 & 2 are likely the same as the ones in the link you posted, but I think the Hollywood Edge SFX is different, and I don't have install instructions for that one, but I do have the install file, probably installs the same way.

I had a support tech put the Exp paks and Hollywood SFX pak into my products list in Command Center, and that's what I used to install them, maybe will try not using CC next time.  Do you have any thoughts about why Command Center is still seeing DimPro as installed when I've already uninstalled it? (see my last post)... CC is giving me a green light/button next to D-Pro and the two Exp Paks, it thinks they're still there, so I'm going to have to look into that first and install D-Pro correctly before I can tackle the Exp Pak issue.
    post edited by Musikman - 2017/04/13 02:48:07

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 03:00:31 (permalink)
    Musikman
    I had gotten that link from someone else too. The old ones I have are similar, but they are named DimPro Exp Paks 1 & 2 (DPXP1 & DPXP2), and DimPro Hollywood SFX Pak (which is actually DSF Expansion 10).\

I never had the full Hollywood FX. I only have the free sampler that came with SONAR 8.5.

Musikman
    From looking at the install instructions I have, my Paks 1 & 2 are likely the same as the ones in the link you posted, but I think the Hollywood Edge SFX is different, and I don't have install instructions for that one, but I do have the install file, probably installs the same way.

I am sure the 2 exp packs are similar to the first 2 on the kb page. IIRC, the third pack are mostly bass samples and programs.

Musikman
    I had a support tech put the Exp paks and Hollywood SFX pak into my products list in Command Center, and that's what I used to install them, maybe will try not using CC next time.  Do you have any thoughts about why Command Center is still seein DimPro as installed when I've already uninstalled it? (see my last post)... CC is giving me a green light/button next to D-Pro and the two Exp Paks, it thinks they're still there, so I'm going to have to look into that first and install D-Pro correctly before I can tackle the Exp Pak issue.

How were the packages uninstalled? I tried to explain this in msg #6 above.

Almost all DPro and Rapture packs have two parts to them. Samples which go in the Multisamples folder and Programs which go into the Programs folder. The tricky part is these folders moved around depending on the age of the installer. Still as long as defaults are used, there are a limited number of possibilities. Samples could be in the DPro/Rapture Multisamples folders or RPro Multisamples folder (if RPro is installed). Very old installers put programs in a public user folder. Newer installers put them in either the DPro or Rapture ProgramData folder. Newest installers may put them in the RPro folder.

As mentioned above the F5 key n the DPro/Rapture browser rebuilds the program.lst file in the DPro or Rapture Program folder in the appropriate ProgramData/Cakewalk folder

Aside from the sample of Hollywood FX bundled with SONAR 8.5, I was under the impression that the current DPro and Rapture packages in the Command Center include all the expansion packs. But as I mentioned in msg #6, I throw all the programs and samples away after installing the synths and replace them will custom folders I have built through the years.
    Musikman
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 14:07:03 (permalink)
    Ok scook, that info helped me find a few more things, thanks. Now what should I do from here? Keep in mind I have already uninstalled DimPro, Rapture 1.2.2, and Rapture Session.  I found the following existing folders that apparently didn't get uninstalled when I ran the uninstallers,....

C:/Cakewalk Content/Cakewalk Sample Data/Rapture Pro/Multisamples.....AND..
    C:/Cakewalk Content/Rapture Pro/Programs/Multisamples/DSF Vol 2 Classic Keys....
    C:/Cakewalk Content/Rapture Pro/Programs/Multisamples/DSF Vol 10 Hollywood SFX...
    C:/Cakewalk Content/Rapture Pro/Programs/Multisamples/Rapture Session

However I no longer have all the DimPro multisample folders since I had manually deleted the Dimension Pro Folder under Pgm Files/Cakewalk/Dimension Pro/....and if you remember, I said there were Expansion Paks Multisamples there too, so you were correct, I guess I did have two copies of the Expansion Paks in different locations, (but only one copy of the core basic DimPro multisamples). At first I thought this was a 32bit vs 64bit problem, but now that doesn't seem to be the case as Platinum was in fact installed correctly on my Win10 PC as 64bit.

So this is looking like I should delete all these folders that are still there and then maybe use Command Center to do a clean re-install of DimPro, Rapture 1.2.2, and Rapture Session, do you agree??  

What I don't understand is why there are folders for "Rapture Pro", when I only have Rapture 1.2.2 and Rapture Session. My Cakewalk store products list shows Rapture Pro as an upgrade I would have to purchase.

I will be off for a couple hours, but hope you can further clarify what I must do to take steps to get these instruments re-installed, I'll check back asap. Much appreciated, thank you!

MM

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 14:31:54 (permalink)
    Those are the result of running the latest installers for those packages. The installers found the Rapture Pro folders (also used by Rapture Session) and put the data there instead of in the legacy folder. If the Rapture Pro folders were not there, I believe the installers fall back to the legacy folders.

This is why F5 did not appear to work in the legacy synths. There was nothing in ProgramData to update.

Here is what I would try. Assuming you have already uninstalled Dpro, Rapture and Rapture Session.
    • Delete C:/Cakewalk Content/Cakewalk Sample Data/Rapture Pro and C:/Cakewalk Content/Rapture Pro/
    • Use the Command Center to install (or re-install if the lights are green) DPro and Rapture
    • Check the two synths out. I expect the Hollywood SFX will be missing but everything else may be there.
    • Install any missing expansion packs
    • Check DPro and Rapture programs again. You may need to refresh their browsers with F5.
    • If something is missing see if it is in the "Cakewalk Content" Rapture Pro areas you found above. If there is data there move it to the appropriate location in DPro and Rapture. If you need help identifying the default DPro and Rapture paths ask. I am trying to save on typing.
    • Once you have determined everything looks OK in DPro and Rapture (also may want to have Cakewalk Sound Center installed and verified by this time too), install Rapture Session using the Command center. This will create "Cakewalk Content" Rapture Pro areas and copy the CSC, DPro and Rapture programs so that they will be available in Rapture Session.
    • Then install the Rapture Session content.
    good luck
    Musikman
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 21:31:14 (permalink)
    Thanks scook, I figured I'd have to delete those other folders first, and I think I understand your method (why installing in this order.) In other words, let the installers misplace folders as expected, then find and relocate them to the correct place. The last time it was Hollywood SFX and also the DSF Classic Keys that were missing in the program browser, so I assume they will probably both be missing again.

I just checked Platinum's Soft Synth list, and Cakewalk Sound Center (32bit) is already installed, I never uninstalled that, should I just leave that as is? Sorry, I'm coming from a long way back so I don't remember using CSC ever before in Producer 8.5, I was just curious why you mentioned that synth too. Don't tell me CSC shares multisamples with DimPro and Rapture too?? If so, then I'll also have to uninstall CSC before proceeding, no?

RE: "If you need help identifying the default DPro and Rapture paths ask. I am trying to save on typing."
    I may have to work tonight, so I don't know if I will get to try this re-install till late or tomorrow. If I can't figure out where the default folders go I'll ask, but I'm gonna try not to have to.  Thanks very much for all your help! I think if I can get this to work I'll not have to deal with it ever again in the future.

Btw..I'm curious how you built and saved those custom multisample folders you mentioned, you'll have to fill me in sometime, sounds like a good way to keep things straight.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help! Dimension Pro sounds messed up! 2017/04/13 21:50:21 (permalink)
    Musikman
    The last time it was Hollywood SFX and also the DSF Classic Keys that were missing in the program browser, so I assume they will probably both be missing again.

Maybe. I believe the new installers will use the legacy paths though, if the RPro paths are missing.

Musikman
    I was just curious why you mentioned that one too.

The Rapture Session install copies CSC, Dpro and Rapture programs during install. This way all the programs are available to Rapture session.

Musikman
    Btw..I'm curious how you built and saved those custom multisample folders you mentioned, you'll have to fill me in sometime, sounds like a good way to keep things straight.

I don't use DPro for much. I have used Rapture a lot. My installation is the result of years of adding content and programs. The secret to being able to recreate my environment is backup. Since adding Rapture Pro, I have consolidated all the content into the RPro folders and point the legacy synths to the RPro content.

good luck
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1