Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess.

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2017/05/25 16:20:53 (permalink)

Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess.

I hope I Can explain this right. Ha

Right now I’m trying to focus on recording interconnected groups of many tracks at once.
I would like the tracks of a continues loop recording  pass to remain in their groups.
The problem:
Recording stereo mics on guitar and bass. With multiple continues loop recording passes I end up having to relocate all freshly recorded tracks. All the mic 1 tracks will be together and all the mic 2 tracks will be together.  I want them to stay in groups of (1 & 2) (1 & 2), (1 & 2) and  Not (1, 1, 1) & (2, 2, 2)

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019

6 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess. 2017/05/25 19:32:12 (permalink)
    Maybe someone can suggest how to get it right from start.
    But first I come to think of is record a stereo track where there is stereo miking, so that's a little fewer things to move around.

Otherwise I am thinking a CAL script can do that, relocate for you. Let's say you see you did 10 passes, and your script can popup a dialog where you put 10, and do the rest in a flash.

Don't remember how many similar scripts there are, to just modify, but think somebody with the skills will help you.
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess. 2017/05/25 20:47:10 (permalink)
    I am a little confused at your explanation and don't quite get what you are wanting to do. However, here is my interpretation.

1.You have two stereo sources, 1 stereo pair for guitar and 1 stereo pair for bass.
    2. You do multiple loop records, or takes.
    3. After recording you want the stereo pairs to still be grouped? Is that right.

There are a couple of ways to do this but the main one involves making sure that you have the "create clip groups" preference selected so that when you loop record all the takes get grouped together. That way when you comp or edit in one track , say the Left Guitar track it will edit the same take in the Right Guitar track. Any selection in one track will get mirrored in the other "grouped" tracks.

If I misunderstood then please correct my misunderstanding.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess. 2017/05/25 21:20:15 (permalink)
    11Dreams
    ...All the mic 1 tracks will be together and all the mic 2 tracks will be together.  I want them to stay in groups of (1 & 2) (1 & 2), (1 & 2) and  Not (1, 1, 1) & (2, 2, 2)

One way of keeping together 2 mono sources is to record them together as the left and right sides of a single stereo clip. Of course you will want to separate them at a later stage.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Unknowen
    Re: Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess. 2017/05/25 22:01:19 (permalink)
    lfm
    Maybe someone can suggest how to get it right from start.
    But first I come to think of is record a stereo track where there is stereo miking, so that's a little fewer things to move around.

Otherwise I am thinking a CAL script can do that, relocate for you. Let's say you see you did 10 passes, and your script can popup a dialog where you put 10, and do the rest in a flash.

Don't remember how many similar scripts there are, to just modify, but think somebody with the skills will help you.

No way I'm creating a script. lol I don't even understand that.
    Maybe I can try and bit more clear. :)

I'm record one track with one mic as left and another mic on a different  track as right. There're only are combined to stereo in the buss. I really don't like being locked in to a stereo track.
    but I want the two tracks next to each other without having to move them all after recording how ever may times I loop... 

Thanks 

Hay look,
    Unknowen
    Re: Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess. 2017/05/25 22:06:12 (permalink)
    reginaldStjohn
    I am a little confused at your explanation and don't quite get what you are wanting to do. However, here is my interpretation.

1.You have two stereo sources, 1 stereo pair for guitar and 1 stereo pair for bass.
    2. You do multiple loop records, or takes.
    3. After recording you want the stereo pairs to still be grouped? Is that right.

There are a couple of ways to do this but the main one involves making sure that you have the "create clip groups" preference selected so that when you loop record all the takes get grouped together. That way when you comp or edit in one track , say the Left Guitar track it will edit the same take in the Right Guitar track. Any selection in one track will get mirrored in the other "grouped" tracks.

If I misunderstood then please correct my misunderstanding.

Yeah I kind of see where you are going with this but I need to be able to manage left and right separately.
    Not really wanting to have the two tracks mirror the edit of the other. But thanks for the idea.

Hay look,
    Unknowen
    Re: Help, How can I record multi tracks without ending up with a mess. 2017/05/25 22:12:08 (permalink)
    Kev999
    11Dreams
    ...All the mic 1 tracks will be together and all the mic 2 tracks will be together.  I want them to stay in groups of (1 & 2) (1 & 2), (1 & 2) and  Not (1, 1, 1) & (2, 2, 2)

One way of keeping together 2 mono sources is to record them together as the left and right sides of a single stereo clip. Of course you will want to separate them at a later stage.

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of and a whole other kind of mess for me with what I'm trying to do. Though that's how I have done it in the past.
    I need to start out with a Left track and Right tracks from the start, next to each other. thanks! :)

Hay look,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1