Help! I'm having sinful thoughts!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Viz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/14 09:10:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: brucie
I really really don't want to go the Steinberg route

I know youre being a little lured by Steinberg`s, or more specifically Nuendo`s capabilities. I dont blame you that. I jus dont know why a Music composer needs to spend 1800$ for a Video editing software when his primary job is only to provide the Score. I mean, isnt Programs like Nuendo for the Post Production guys ?? The Professional ones ? and why does Cakewalk boast it is equipped for film scoring and video. I got interested with that part mainly albeit not doing any video or film projects atm. I sincerely dont know about the features that Sonar is lacking which you said, maybe im a rookie in it which iam though, but how WELL do they come into play when scoring ? I know im an off-topic idiot, but i think its relevant to ask here.

P.S :- I also heard that even Nuendo is not COMPLETELY equipped for Film Scoring. I dont know how that guy scored on Cubase which is like Sonar. Digital Performer sounds good, but im scared of your Mac experiences
post edited by Viz - 2005/08/14 09:19:01
brucie
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/14 09:27:13 (permalink)
IT is relevant to ask!

I agree that you don't need that many video production tools in a daw, as it is for working with audio....and programs like Final Cut Pro do video so much better! When scoring, the aim is to produce the music for the film, and probably these days with small outfits (not Hollywood productions) produce sound design aspects to as well as some sound effects.

You need to be able to scroll by frames so that you can locate a certain frame in a film, in/decrementing one frame at a time...say a door slam and then place a marker there for adding a sound effect. This location will not change if you speed up the music in anyway, but as you current can't lock a clip in Sonar, if you decided to speed up the tempo of the music...all of your clips move.

Also locating frame is crucial as you may have 00:00:03:24 of film which you need to score to, thus you need to be able to find a suitable tempo and time signature to allow your music to fit. Admittedly you could write a piece of a rough length and then time compress it to fit, but most composers (Writing in pencil or Sibelius) would set a tempo of say 123.45 and know that in that time frame you would end up with 9 bars and 1 beat ...so you could have 8 bars of 4/4 and then one of 5/4 (this is only a made up example!).

If you set two markers relating to key frames in DP, it will perform these calculations for you....which is really nice as you don't have to do the maths!

Don't be scared of my Mac experiences....they are just mine....just like some people have PC nightmares....at the end of the day it is a tool....it is the output than matters....and well for me Apple isn't helping with my output....hence decision made.

Btw...no one mentions Samplitude....I have tried the demo and it seems pretty good....something to bear in mind.

All the best

Neil

Neil S. Bruce Msc B.Eng(Hons) Dip(Mus)
Sound Designer, Composer and Audio Engineer

- Manchester
Tel : +44 (0)7771 877690
Web : www.spencerbruce.com
Viz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/14 13:23:10 (permalink)
Thats really some new info i jus learnt. Thanks a lot for that Brucie. So, i guess you`ll know all these more in detail and flow the work on them when you have a Hollywood project of 2 hours long in your hands. hehe. :D
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1