Help! I'm having sinful thoughts!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
themusicdude
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2005/08/11 15:38:03 (permalink)

Help! I'm having sinful thoughts!

I've finally decided I'm going to buy a second computer dedicated to music, but I'm thinking of straying from Sonar/Pc and going Logic/Mac. It's a scary thought because I've been using Cakewalk since 3.0 and am currently using Sonar 2.2. The one thing I have always loved about Sonar was how easy it is to score from it, and now that I'm starting to get into indie film scoring this is a very important feature.

Obviously I know this is a Sonar forum, but I was hoping to get experience from some people who have used Sonar 4, especially sucessfully with video, and give me some good reasons to stick with the software I've supported for so long. Have any of you worked with Logic and decided to stick with Sonar? Are any of you currently working with both?

32 Replies Related Threads

The Scar
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 15:44:28 (permalink)
    Mac/Logic is a very sexy combo... I don't blame you for sinning.

But remember what it will do to your wallet for very little improvement on functionality.

(If I was way rich, however, I'd have Logic and PT on a fully blown out G5...)

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 15:48:17 (permalink)
    There are a few threads on video scoring on these forums-do a search.

Here's one recent thread.

I haven't used a recent version of Logic, so can't comment on that.
    Bill OConnell
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 15:56:26 (permalink)
    And the IBM-based G5s are history. That doesn't mean they won't continue to be good computers, but switching at a time just before Apple switches their platform to Intel...I'd think twice.

Take it for what it's worth.

xohol
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 16:07:42 (permalink)
    i think you could get a much more powerful PC for a fraction of the price of a mac. plus if you are looking into video.... (nuendo)
    studiofreak
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 16:33:38 (permalink)
    What features are you specifically looking for with a logic system?

Save your money and build a new pc and upgrade to v4. Every software package has it's problems. I've read equal amounts of threads of Logic users that are unhappy with the video implementation, sync, etc. within Logic. (I thought about the same jump earlier this year.)

It all depends what your needs are. If you need extensive notation or need to sync to HD, you might want to consider another software like nuendo. Otherwise, if you're just creating music to a dv file at 29.97 fps, sonar will work just fine.

I'm hoping with v5, the multimedia features are improved. It would put sonar over the top...

-r

StratoJava
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 17:01:10 (permalink)
    Hey Rich,

What part of NJ? I'm up north... maybe we can put a NJ Sonar Users group together.

Neil
    Clik
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 21:42:28 (permalink)
    I think you should stick with Sonar, AND get a Mac to use Logic. Seriously!

I don't understand why it should have to be an EITHER/OR situation. My friend still uses an old Atari computer to do MIDI work, and syncs it to his PC, or his Roland hard-drive recorder, or to analog tape, or to whatever.

Have you read about connecting music computers via Ethernet? Seems like a trend nowadays, to spread the work over multiple computers...
    chriso1515
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/11 23:02:57 (permalink)
    here are some great things about logic:

kick-ass automation system (no arming of damn parameters and most softsynths can be automated with a mouse on the gui) as well as great envelope tools--sheesh it's time for sonar to do some face-lifting there

utter flexibility with audio (side chains, for example); yes, yes, there is a learning curve with the 'environment', but the program truly rocks

great sounding plugins and instruments right out of the box, and lots of them

kick-ass midi editor

kick-ass (i.e. full-featured, though complex) score editor

and last but not least, a ui that's not an eyesore--cake, please.

why haven't i switched yet? because i do a lot of collaboration with folks on sonar, and because i have used it since cakewalk pro on dos days (ai ai aiee!), though i probably will make the switch eventually--doesn't mean i won't still do work in both.

not trying to start a flame war...

sonar 4 has a kick-ass freeze implementation, and i LOVE the folder tracks and tracks in layers. i'd just love to see some of the stuff above that logic has covered SO well in the next sonar.

and oh yeah, quasi-gapless audio that actually works; back on 4.0.2 here.

RonsZound
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 00:37:29 (permalink)
    switching at a time just before Apple switches their platform to Intel...I'd think twice.

themusicdude,

You should take a look at the August edition of Computer Music. It gives a lot of details about the Apple processor switch to Intel thats scheduled sometime next year. If you're going to be making that kind of investment then you might want to wait a year to have a platform that will be support for at least a couple years.

I'll pray for you! Cause in my opinion playing with a Mac is a terrible sin indeed!!!

Ron
    theblue1
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 00:53:35 (permalink)
    I would strongly recommend you do some serious googling to test the general user feelings of those who are using Logic 7. (You might also do some searches at places like gearslutz.com. This thread is somewhat legendary, there.)

Also, I would urge you to take a look at some performance issues that many of the current G5 Macs have with Firewire and IDE controllers. (You can get a general idea of the hard drive and other system performance of different members of the Mac line at MacInTouch. Make sure you read the part about why they think HD performance is low for G5's that don't use FW Raid drives.)

And you can read briefly about the Firewire/drive controller problems as they affected one high end G5 rig as a sidebar in this article at Electonic Musician. (Do a browser page search for "DSP Hardware Hell" -- or just go down to the bottom of the page and then up a bit. It was a sidebar in the print mag and they put it at the bottom, online.)

You might also want to reflect on the notion that tech support for Logic after the first 90 days or for anything other than installation issues comes at a $199 per case charge.

Besides that, what the heck? Go for it...

[BTW... When you're lurking in Mac threads -- and you're not a Mac user -- it's probably good form to just continue lurking and not get your 2 cents in with a pitch for windows or linux. Just like when we're in a forum here trying to get answers on a Sonar question, we probably don't want to have someone bustin' in and saying "Nyah, nyah, shoulda bought Cubase!" And one of these days, I'm gonna learn that kind of discretion, myself... ]
    post edited by theblue1 - 2005/08/12 04:40:53
    themusicdude
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 05:06:38 (permalink)
    So I managed to get ahold of Logic 5.5 from a friend.

I hope 7.1 has a better GUI, because just playing around with it I couldn't figure out how to do a single thing. Tomorrow I'll jump into the manual and dig around, but so far I'm feeling really depressed. It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and go to 4 or wait for 5 to come out.
    mb
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 05:57:57 (permalink)
    logic is very had to learn !!

rather get Cubase sx3 on a MAC

you can thank me later

....timing is everything in life....
    oY
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 06:11:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Clik
    Have you read about connecting music computers via Ethernet? Seems like a trend nowadays, to spread the work over multiple computers...

any good link for that?
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 09:19:52 (permalink)
    One downside, was it used to be PC based and suddenly they went 100% mac and dumped dumped dumped dumped dumped on people who had been using them and were loyal customers !

What kind of software market ethic are people saying is ok by buying that product.

Yes.
    The Scar
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 09:31:46 (permalink)
    great sounding plugins and instruments right out of the box, and lots of them
    I think with Sonitus and P5 (which is, admittedly another expense), Sonar sounds great out of the box, too.
    T.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 15:03:23 (permalink)
    I have a G4 Dual Processor Mac with Logic Pro & all the Bells & Whistles but you can believe the others when they say it is a monster to jump ship & take control of! I even flew the, "Top Dog" Logic/Apple Midi Guru who promised to have everything up & fine tuned within 24 hours & after 3 days it was at about 50% functionallity & he refunded 50% of the Payment I made to him! It's a Great Program if you have a year or two to spend learning. Just trying to put an, "Enviroment" which is the Midi Layout together is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE GLUDEOUS MAXIMUS! I still have my 2 P4s running & my Mac but my Mac is resting!!! I love Sonar 4 Producer. That's my story & I'm stickin to it!! Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 15:30:36 (permalink)
    logic is very had to learn

About 6 years ago they sent me a demo disk. I'm an engineer by day, so the ultimate configurability appealed to me. However, after a few hours in the drivers seat it was obvious to me that to configure it the way I wanted it configured was going to take too long. It did look like it would be real slick once it was setup properly. But, I stuck with CW so I could spend that time making music.
    Bill OConnell
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 20:29:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b3gsus@msn.com
    I love Sonar 4 Producer. That's my story & I'm stickin to it!! Wildman

The Wildman is wise.

Looking at your sig, you've got some nice preamps and mics. Is envy one of The Seven Deadly Sins? If so, I'm d-o-o-m-e-d.

Viz
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 21:42:41 (permalink)
    I have my own opinions on Sonar 4. Its a kickarse app. for making Great Quality Music. It stands above other top sequencers in the sheer ease of use and great integration with hardware. I simply love doing songs on Sonar, but im not completely sure about its video capabilities as for now. Sorry.

And guys, ive seen some film composers use Logic to score. But, what are the issues with problems in video sync with it ? I need to know cos i have been thinking that i ultimately need to switch to Logic/Mac in the future which need not happen at all by your words.
    post edited by Viz - 2005/08/12 22:09:01
    ustudio
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 22:14:33 (permalink)
    Nuendo and a fast pc , would be better I love logic but it just for macs so I dont think so, however Neundo is cross platform and it work well on both, there alot of pro options to for it, Like the Euphonix System 5 MC http://www.euphonix.com/post/products/system_5-mc/system_5-mc.htm, me I gonna stick it out with Sonar but I protesting by not getting the next version. And I gonna do my upcoming stuff in Nuendo and Cubase, and Project 5 V2 rewired. Nuendo a killer app. I didnt realize how smooth it was till I installed the new 4.03 Sonar update, I was telling a Steinberg friend that Sonar was giving us an update and it was for a gappless engine, he was like whats that, I explained to him, installed update and it was true Sonars engine was improved but then I went to Nuendo and I was like no wonder he didnt know what a gasppless engine was the engine performs them same as Sonar with the update, perhaps better, its diffinately a better program I was just holding out as long as I can, to see if Cakewalk had anything up it sleeves, but I guess not, I gonna hang in there to see what the next vesion will bring but most likely I gonna wait for V5 of Sonar, If I had cash to build a Studio today it would be based on Nuendo and or Protools Euphonix System 5, or an SSL, the only place Sonar would be is the writing room.
    Bill OConnell
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 22:43:52 (permalink)
    I own a copy of Nuendo 3, and it certainly is not gapless.

Each to his own, though. It is a "killer app" though. It has almost killed me many times.

Enjoy the dongle.

Clik
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/12 22:52:58 (permalink)
    to oY -- try googling on "distributed audio processing" and/or mLAN. I don't know any one really good site to recomend.
    Viz
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/13 02:20:21 (permalink)
    What do you guys make out of Sonar`s pricing being 3/4th off of Nuendo or half off Logic ? Where is the striking difference ??
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/13 13:33:47 (permalink)
    I'd advise you to get a very cheap Mac/PT/Logic rig. Like a used G4 and a Mbox. Mac is about to revamp its entire line in teh next year. The last time this happend there was a lot of fallout. Also. If you are goin gto spend that kind of scratch, you might want to look at Nuendo.

That given, if I had $15-25k to build a rig, I would probably got protoolsHD on a couple dual G5s with Logic Pro. ANd one of those beyooteefull focusrite/digi control/mixers. Because basically I am losing a lot of business these days to a couple guys with that setup.
    Well after I am finished refurbishin my old HANDBUILT analog console I will be taking orders again.
    Bill OConnell
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/13 14:38:01 (permalink)
    What do you guys make out of Sonar`s pricing being 3/4th off of Nuendo or half off Logic ? Where is the striking difference ??

I can't comment on Logic, since I haven't used it since v5.5.

Regarding the Nuendo price difference, I would suggest going to the main Steinberg site or the Nuendo Forum. Somewhere they have a detailed list of the features found in Nuendo 3, not found in SX3. I know that's a sideways method of going about it, but it might help.

Steinberg has announced that they will be adding more and more post-production features to Nuendo, beginning with the free version v3.1 update (due any time now). Only the company can answer your question accurately (which, of course most companies wouldn't anyway), but it's obvious that they are heavily positioning the product for larger studio/post use, charging what the market will bear, and perhaps anticipating covering the cost for the licensing of future technology.

BTW, my post earlier in the thread was a bit tongue-and-cheek. Those who have read my earlier thoughts on the product know that I actually like it, but have been extremely frustrated that--up to now--it has fallen short of its potential (IMHO, of course ). This may be about to change with the Yamaha backing. I wish them well, but I will no longer be in their upgrade path, because Sonar and a couple of other programs meet my needs quite well.

Good luck in your decision making. Obviously fitting a program to *your* specific needs is the objective--regardless of what I or others may say.

themusicdude
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/13 15:30:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: calaverasgrandes

I'd advise you to get a very cheap Mac/PT/Logic rig. Like a used G4 and a Mbox. Mac is about to revamp its entire line in teh next year. The last time this happend there was a lot of fallout. Also. If you are goin gto spend that kind of scratch, you might want to look at Nuendo.

That given, if I had $15-25k to build a rig, I would probably got protoolsHD on a couple dual G5s with Logic Pro. ANd one of those beyooteefull focusrite/digi control/mixers. Because basically I am losing a lot of business these days to a couple guys with that setup.
    Well after I am finished refurbishin my old HANDBUILT analog console I will be taking orders again.

Actually, this sounds like a very good idea.

Originally I was going to with just a Pro|Tools rig, but I hate MIDI editing in Pro|Tools....this option sounds like it might give me a range of options since I have Sonar on this computer too. Now I just need to upgrade to 4!
    theblue1
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/13 16:52:38 (permalink)
    In addition to the articles I suggested you take a look at in my post above -- this eye-opener was recently brought to my attention in Digidesign's Mac/PT LE forum:

Horrible Mac Support Incident

It's probably best to read the whole thread.

Horror stories happen and -- certainly -- they happen everywhere. But even beyond the angry first post, there are a range of experiences described by other users that range from customer-friendly to... well, you should read it yourself and decide for yourself.

There are many fine things about Apple computers and OS X -- but it is not all sweetness and light and there are significant issues with regard to hardware and even low level OS issues. (If you want a real education on the compromised underpinnings of OS X, with regard to how the very modern Mach kernel (a microkernal architecture) is very poorly served by the jumbled, open source Darwin layer (an 'old-fashioned' monolithic architecture that forces system calls to the Mach kernal to queue up for serial access instead of being able to send multiople system calls to Mach -- as it was designed for) -- you might want to take a look at this article comparing the latest hardware from Apple, Intel, and AMD (which found that OS X Serve can be 10 times slower than Linux on the same box running hte same apps in heavy load situations):

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436 ( or if your only interested in the kernal architecture you can jump to the chase: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=6 )

post edited by theblue1 - 2005/08/13 17:00:10
    Viz
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/13 23:03:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bill OConnell

Ah well, i did see that manual and gosh are there many more features!!!
    But, however after lots of research on the net, i stumbled upon this http://www.steinberg.de/Steinberg/NewsDisplayfe1f.html?NewsID=3037&Langue_ID=2
    Now ive seen most of you guys being anti-cubase, even iam too, but that guy jus composed a hollywood flick in a look-alike {function wise} of Sonar, and many people say {its true what they say} that Sonar lacks special things to make it ideal for film scoring.
    The reason im emphasizing all this is, i gotta be ready for video/film scoring pretty much like many of you out there. Why cant Sonar do what Cubase just did with that Jackie chan flick ? BTW, i learnt Cubase has 24fps Video which indicates films. Does that have anything to do with it ? Tarsier and someone else said Sonar wont support 24fps which will count out sonar for film scoring. I dont know the exact thing of this, please elaborate on this mates. I just think what a Composer`s job is to give music and not do all editing on the Video which other programs offer and which is the job of a post prod pro and not the composer.., Simply, I jus dont get anymore feeling that i should dump Sonar for another look-alike b*tch of a program and i dont know "why", maybe i love Sonar too very much.
    brucie
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Help! I'm having sinful thoughts! 2005/08/14 06:32:14 (permalink)
    I was one of those with Mac horror stories, but not only me, my partner's iBook is now in the bin....literally. She has had no end of problems, with it and it is SOOO slow, and was having similar problems.

I have (still...as an expensive music player now!) a G4 mac, which when I run Digital Performer 4.1 can only run...3-4 tracks of audio with no plugins. I know my way around computers and have tried all optimisations under the sun and it still doesn't improve the matter. Now I am not on the most upto date version of the os...cat or llama or whatever it is...why, well this was the other thing that made me move away from Apple....charging for each upgrade to the OS (each point version...at £99 a shot!)...for basically bug fixes. So I went to 10.2 and then gave up. Not only did I have to pay for upgrade to the OS, but also DP upgrades....3 to 4 (that is okay you would expect that). 4-4.1, 4.1 - 4.5 at £129 a shot. And what I currently have is....well unusable!

So all those upgrades....well I could by Sonar or a new PC (cheap one...but you know what I mean!)

I am a huge fan of Digital Performer and still lust after it. For film scoring it is probably the best app out there (IMHO). it is little things like http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features46/film.html/en

BTW when I talk about film work....I don't mean doing video editing...I do that in Vegas and would never want to do that in Sonar. But Sonar is lacking in terms of

-Locking Clips to SMPTE time (i have to export my music and do all spotting in Audition)
    -Not being able to scroll in frames (yes you can do it, but not in the track window....all other apps...including Acid do this)
    -Align any audio to the tempo of the project - this is upon import
    -Set Timecode at Cursor Position
    -Quantize beats within clips
    -No rewind or fast foward...(I don't mean jumping back a bar or forward a bar)
    -Find tempo between markers
    -Ability to timestretch/pitch shift clips....without having to go into various dialouge boxes...should be able to do it on the clip.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Sonar, and recommend it to everyone....and I am holding on to see what Version 5 holds. But my work is changing and is forcing my hand....I can't go back to Mac, Sonar isn't (currently) up to the job I want to do....and I really really don't want to go the Steinberg route

Not really a rant....just keeping my fingers crossed for version 5!!

All the best

Neil

Neil S. Bruce Msc B.Eng(Hons) Dip(Mus)
    Sound Designer, Composer and Audio Engineer

- Manchester
    Tel : +44 (0)7771 877690
    Web : www.spencerbruce.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1