Help Pick a New Computer?

Author
kelsoz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
2010/12/18 19:11:18 (permalink)

Help Pick a New Computer?

As you can see by my specs, I have a pretty lame computer for anything audio.  I'm maxed out at 1 GB ram with a single core CPU.  I have a 1 TB external drive.  While it runs great, and I know it well, I want to consider a new one and be sure it will handle my audio needs and serve me well for some years.

I'm asking here for a little advice on selecting my next PC.  Please respond to any of these or other issues as you feel competent.  Or reference other relevant forum threads.

I want a desktop, let's talk box only, W7.  I'm just a music hobbyist using mostly Band in a Box and Sonar X1, with no other computer applications requiring extraordinary performance.  Please do not tell me to just get "all the computer I can afford".  And I hope I don't need to get a custom built.  Let's say say $800 max neighborhood.

My audio interface is a E-MU 1616 PCI, so I need a box with at least one PCI slot, or dump the 1616.  I see many manufacturers today do not offer PCI slots.

My impression is, (and feel free to comment):

1.  W7 Pro is more friendly to XP programs than Home Premium.  That is of interest to me if it works well and seamlessly.

2.  AMD CPU have comparable performance, features, and reliability vs. Intel, i.e., no reason to shy away from AMD.

3.  Dual core CPU is virtually required, and, while a quad core may faster, not give the bang for the buck.  So my inclination is for dual-core.

Any special considerations for HD, video card, USB3, expandability brands to embrace or avoid?

What else?

Thanks for any help.

kelsoz

Dell Desktop PC / Win7 HomePrem 64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB / 1 TB / E-MU1616 PCI+Realtek PC Audio / Event 6 Pro Monitors / BIAB 2012.5 / Sonar X3c/64 Bld 216

7 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/18 19:27:01 (permalink)
    W7 Pro is more friendly to XP programs than Home Premium.

The distinction is that the Win7 Pro version will run an XP "virtual machine"  (available as a free download) whereas the home version will not. So programs that might run under Xp but not under Win7 will run. That is not to say that it will run a virtual machine with the same efficiency as a native XP installation. I am still waiting to hear from someone who has been foolish enough to try whether X1 will run under the XP virtual machine as well as under a native XP. I would guess not. For some rare programs that may be a viable option but most common XP programs should run under Win7, and the ones that require high performance will probably not run all that well with the virtual XP.
    rain the producer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/20 08:05:03 (permalink)
    ATI Radeon 4550 or higher. If you're not a videogamer when it comes to playing on the computer you do not need some high tech graphics card that cost 500 bucks.

make sure you get a hard drive with at least 500 gigabytes. AMD quad core is what I would recommend whether it is AThlon or PHenom. But if you use a lot of synths or what not go with the fastest processor which is phenom.  If building you can find some cheap computer parts and take it to the computer parts store.
    Maybe include 4 gb or RAM if you can afford it if not go with at least 2 nothing below it.

I've never heard of computers not having PCI slots since that is how someone would expand on video cards or what not. I have heard of less onboard 1394s though. I do not understand what you mean by that.

I"m getting a custom system built and it will only cost around 650 and that's WITH labor added as well as the OS.
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/20 08:15:13 (permalink)
    i'm certainly not saying get this pc, cos i'm not in the US and don't know your cheap outlets, and i have no idea how this would do for audio work, but as an illustration, $800 gets you something like this: http://www.radioshack.com...jsp?productId=10758702 quadcore, 8gb ram etc.

you can get a smoking pc for $800, don't even think dual-core unless you wanna spend $600 and save the extra...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/20 09:08:41 (permalink)
    kelsoz

1.  W7 Pro is more friendly to XP programs than Home Premium.  That is of interest to me if it works well and seamlessly.

2.  AMD CPU have comparable performance, features, and reliability vs. Intel, i.e., no reason to shy away from AMD.

3.  Dual core CPU is virtually required, and, while a quad core may faster, not give the bang for the buck.  So my inclination is for dual-core.

1) not true XP virtualization is a joke for audio.. get a 64bit win7 home and install Sonar in 32bit mode for max compatibility

2) the only good AMD is the phenom 6 core, and Intel is no more $ that that (760)

3) there are no good dual core intels 500,600 series are slow and nothing less tha 6 core amd is worth it for the $
    on the other hand for what you are doing nearly anything would be ok.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Stuart Germain
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/23 09:29:46 (permalink)
    Hey, I would seriously go for a desktop with the AMD Phenom X6 as it is the cheapest computer with the performance you will actually need.
    I have a custom PC with the Hexacore proccessor and i am really, really impressed with the speed!!and if you buy the HP desktop with this proccesssor you could easily get it for under $1000! excluding W7 Pro which is also a must. although proffessionals won't reccommend the AMD, if it is just a hobby there is no reason to spend $1500 on a desktop with the i7 9800 when can get comparable performance for a lot less! Go for the Amd you seriously will not regret it!!
    post edited by Stuart Germain - 2010/12/23 09:31:43
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/23 10:32:42 (permalink)
    Stuart Germain

Hey, I would seriously go for a desktop with the AMD Phenom X6 as it is the cheapest computer with the performance you will actually need. 

not to nit pick but the intel 760 system is the same price as a 1090t.
    when AMD was winning the were widely used by pros.
    i sold over 1000 dual opterons.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    kelsoz
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Help Pick a New Computer? 2010/12/23 13:40:26 (permalink)
    Stuart - why do you say this?

W7 Pro which is also a must

kelsoz

Dell Desktop PC / Win7 HomePrem 64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB / 1 TB / E-MU1616 PCI+Realtek PC Audio / Event 6 Pro Monitors / BIAB 2012.5 / Sonar X3c/64 Bld 216
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1