Help Using Edirol PCR M30

Author
NashvilleKat1968
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
2011/08/10 03:08:30 (permalink)

Help Using Edirol PCR M30

I recently purchased a used Edirol PCR M30 because I wanted to do away with the need to drag out my old 76 key synth when I wanted to lay down a keyboard track using one of my soft synths. I assumed it would work much like my current keyboard but that hasn't been the case.

I installed the Windows 7 64-bit drivers from the Edirol website for the M30. The installation was a breeze. However, everything from there has been an absolute nightmare. I'm usually pretty good with reading manuals, etc, but this thing is like reading a foreign language to me.

Following the install, I went into MC5 under Options>MIDI Devices and found the following added to my Input list along with my Lexicon interface - 2-PCR MIDI In, 2-PCR 1, and 2-PCR 2. In the Output list I now have a 2-PCR MIDI Out and 2-PCR. All of these are checked along with my Lexicon interface.

Under Options>Controllers/Surfaces the Edirol PCR-M30 shows up. Under the In Port section it shows the 2-PCR 2 and there is a drop down arrow to the right of that which shows all the above input choices along with the Lexicon interface. The output port is set to 2-PCR 2. The drop down menu gives me the additional choices of 2-PCR MIDI Out and my Lexicon. ACT and WAI are checked.

I've followed the instructions for loading the correct memory preset for Music Creator into the Edirol.

What I want to do should be pretty simple. I have no desire at this point to try to control everything onscreen via the Edirol. I basically want the keyboard to work like my old one but use a much smaller footprint. Typically that would mean inserting a soft synth such as Cakewalk Sound Center. When I play a key on the Edirol I want to hear the sound in Sound Center. When I press a key on the Edirol I see the MIDI activity indicator on the unit showing it is transmitting MIDI data but see no corresponding MIDI input on the MIDI input indicators in the track in MC5. Should I insert a MIDI track or an Instrument track to do what I want to do?

Someone please help. I got this thing at a great deal but I'm about to give up and simply throw it in the trash and chalk it up to a learning experience.  

David

5 Replies Related Threads

NashvilleKat1968
    Re:Help Using Edirol PCR M30 2011/08/10 03:39:31 (permalink)
    And in typical fashion... post a thread and figure it out yourself in seconds after struggling with it for a few days. Why do these things always happen? I am still having a weird issue though. The lowest octave B flat and F sharp keys don't make a sound when I press them. All the other keys are working just fine. They do show up as MIDI data going to MC5 so I'm sure it's a setting somewhere but I'm not sure why just those two keys would cause an issue.

While fiddling with the knobs I discovered several knobs correspond to those of the controls in Sound Center. I'm really going to have to play with this thing and see what all it will do.

David
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help Using Edirol PCR M30 2011/08/10 08:02:37 (permalink)
    Very good...

yeah sometimes that happens.... usually not.... but I'm glad you did.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Help Using Edirol PCR M30 2011/08/10 08:11:09 (permalink)
    NashvilleKat1968

And in typical fashion... post a thread and figure it out yourself in seconds after struggling with it for a few days. Why do these things always happen? I am still having a weird issue though. The lowest octave B flat and F sharp keys don't make a sound when I press them. All the other keys are working just fine. They do show up as MIDI data going to MC5 so I'm sure it's a setting somewhere but I'm not sure why just those two keys would cause an issue.

While fiddling with the knobs I discovered several knobs correspond to those of the controls in Sound Center. I'm really going to have to play with this thing and see what all it will do.

David

what are you using for output, David?  some patches won't play the entire range of keys if the instrument you're playing doesn't normally have that pitch available on it.  for example, a General MIDI TTS-1 will play ALL pitches for all patches just becuase it's just a tone generator based on the timbre of a particular instrument, but sampled libraries won't have a C7 for a contra bass!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    NashvilleKat1968
    Re:Help Using Edirol PCR M30 2011/08/10 17:25:12 (permalink)
    Sound Center is great for showing the tones/pitches it will play for a particular patch. According to what I see it should play these notes. What is odd is that it will play the notes around it. For example the low Bb won't play but it will play the B note a half step above and the A note a half step below. Same with the F sharp key a few steps lower. It will play both the G a half step above and the F a half step below. It's just those two notes and is consistent on every patch.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Help Using Edirol PCR M30 2011/08/10 21:14:05 (permalink)
    Some keyboards are programmable so that certain keys can trigger an effect or change or play a particular patch. Maybe the former user set it up so those notes trigger... something in his DAW.
    Check the manual and see if there is a method to reset all the keyboard to it's defaults.
    If you don't have the manual, it's available at the Roland web site.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1