Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix.

Author
samson7842
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 287
2011/06/21 14:00:15 (permalink)

Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix.

Hi guys,

I'm attempting my very first "real" mix. There are parts that I want really wet with delay. My problem is when I do that, it sounds very messy, muddy and just plain unprofessional. How do I fix this?

I'm putting my delay plugin directly on the track I'm using. Is there a better way to do that? Is there a right or wrong way?

Thanks for your help.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3
Edirol PCR 500
Roland A-300 Pro 
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Virtual Guitarist Silk
Virtual Guitarist Amber
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Steinberg UR22
Waves Gold
Melodyne 4 Studio
Various other fiddly bits

12 Replies Related Threads

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 14:17:24 (permalink)
    create a buss for the delay and a send to that buss on the track. set the delay 100% wet and adjust the level going to the delay from the send on the track. Also, put an eq on the delay buss ahead of the delay and roll off (shelve) from around 150hz down. 

With the delay on the track, you really have no individual control of the delay.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 14:19:46 (permalink)
    One thing to consider is using the delay only on the ends of phrases instead of an entire phrase. One way to do this would be to automate the delay controls. Another way would be to clone the vocal track and use an envelope to mute all but the ends of vocal lines and put the delay in that track.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 14:39:41 (permalink)
    The automation techniques recommended above will help to really create movement through the song.

What are your delay settings?

Are the timing settings synced to your tempo? Are you working with a 1/16th note feel or with a 1/2 note feel?

How much feedback do you hear? Have you soloed the track to specifically check out the feedback so that you know it's close to what you expect?

Have you groomed the EQ of the delayed signal? Have you filtered out any of the low end so the delay doesn't sound like mud? Have you decided how much hi frequency you want to shimmer with delay?

If you answer all those question to your satisfaction then you will be in a good position to make the final mix and levels decisions.

Good luck!

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/06/21 14:51:18

samson7842
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 15:09:18 (permalink)
    I'm working with a quarter note feel. And, it is tempo synced. I had the delay on the whole track which gave it a feel I liked. I just hate the muddiness. Put a high pass on the track. Still sounds muddy to me.

I'm going to try putting the delay on a bus and routing the signal there. I'll also try putting the delay at the end of lines. But, that may not give m the feel I like.

Thank guys. I appreciate the advice.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3
    Edirol PCR 500
    Roland A-300 Pro 
    Virtual Guitarist Silk
    Virtual Guitarist Amber
    Virtual Guitarist Iron
    Steinberg UR22
    Waves Gold
    Melodyne 4 Studio
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 15:13:46 (permalink)
    I don't want to seem too picky... did you hi pass the track or hi pass the Delay?

You probably want a perfunctory hi pass on the track and a specific hi pass on the delay return. The high pass on the delay return will probably be set much more aggressively than the filter on the dry track.

Just hoping that making the point clear may be of some help.

all the best,
    mike

samson7842
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 15:32:50 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

I don't want to seem too picky... did you hi pass the track or hi pass the Delay?

You probably want a perfunctory hi pass on the track and a specific hi pass on the delay return. The high pass on the delay return will probably be set much more aggressively than the filter on the dry track.

all the best,
    mike
    No, I just high passed the track. I will try doing the same, with more aggressive setting, on the delay itself. Thanks.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3
    Edirol PCR 500
    Roland A-300 Pro 
    Virtual Guitarist Silk
    Virtual Guitarist Amber
    Virtual Guitarist Iron
    Steinberg UR22
    Waves Gold
    Melodyne 4 Studio
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 18:21:49 (permalink)
    Try turning off tempo sync. That tends to make the delayed sound melt into the background, which in turn leads you to make it too loud and too bright. Tempo-sync is way too overused, IMO. It's best used for specific effects, among which fattening vocals is not one of them.

Filter the delay signal like you would reverb: roll off the extreme highs and lows. Bring it down until you can barely make it out, but to where you'd still immediately notice if it was bypassed.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/21 23:27:48 (permalink)
    samson7842

mike_mccue

all the best,
    mike
    No, I just high passed the track. I will try doing the same, with more aggressive setting, on the delay itself. Thanks.

You will also encounter mud in the mids as well. I use the Sonitus delay alot on midi guitar rhythm tracks and will typically high pass around 150hz and then notch around 500-600 hz to further enhance the clarity.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/26 19:23:00 (permalink)
    Try sending the delay to a bus, putting a simple compressor (eg. Sonitus) in front of it with a fairly aggressive gain reduction, then side-chaining the original signal into the compressor. This will keep the level of the delay low when the main vocal is present but pull up the delay when the vocal stops. You'll probably have to tweak the release and threshold settings to find something that works.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/26 20:45:48 (permalink)
    +1 all; Kylotan, that seems like a great idea.

Additionally watch out!:

Delay may cause phasiness (mud?) when: ... panned too closely (like behind the lead vox) and/or < 31msecs.  Yeah, unless you're opting for comb-filtering/phasey effects (for 'horrific' guitars), 31 msecs +/- is a magic number.

IOWs (from my limited experience):

1) Keep delay >= 31 msces and <= to 50 msecs.  For Haas effects, 32 msecs is awesome for my ears (panned hard LT and RT for source and delay)
    2) Or pan the delay strait down the middle if 50 msecs or so.
    3) Delay and reverb envelopes are great for dominant elements.
    4) Use a Delay Send only if your delay is constant for all your pertinant tracks (since you cannot control a send's delay in msecs).  Delay (like reverb) is a CPU hog (for me), so Delay Sends make sense.
    5) Consider adding a 50 msec pre-delay to your reverb send instead
    6) Roll off the lows (per Zuma and others) and also the highs
    7) Compress before the delay
    8) Consider Sonitus delay for most stuff; it is clear and fairly straitforward.  Personally, I haven't had much luck using delay "feedback" and such (in Sonitus)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/26 23:24:47 (permalink)
    Good point on the feedback and crossfeed controls, Philip. I always back way off those and the mix control as well. You get too heavy, particularly on the feedback, and you can forget it. Everything becomes obscured.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

samson7842
    Re:Help! When I use delays my vocals sound "dirty" and "muddy" in my mix. 2011/06/27 23:03:00 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've been using them and I'm getting some pretty good results. When I'm done with my mix, I'll post it. I'd love to get some feedback. This is my first "real" and you guys have helped a lot.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3
    Edirol PCR 500