Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED

Author
mrmo66
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2011/07/10 15:36:26 (permalink)

Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED

Hi,

I know I am probably missing something really basic here (especially as up to a couple of weeks ago everything worked fine), but now I cannot get sound on playback except by having either PFL or AFL active.  This must be Sonar X1 related as i can use the ZED R16 as an interface for playing CD's etc directly from the computer and listen to media player through the amp connected to the outputs on the desk.

Any ideas what I am now doing wrong?

Jeff

8 Replies Related Threads

BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/10 18:15:10 (permalink)
    I usually set my X1 to output only to the ZED's mail L/R channels.  It sounds like you have it set to specific channels.  What output are you sending to your monitor feed from the console?

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    mrmo66
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/23 02:35:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for that (sorry about the delay in responding), is the output set as you suggest in X1 or in the control software for the Zed R16?

Regards,

Jeff
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/23 03:01:06 (permalink)
    A couple of things to check

As BretB said make sure that your master out (in Sonar) is set to the ZEDs main L/R outs. If you want to use individual channels on the ZED as outs you can do that but try the main outs for diagnosis first.

Make sure the "Digimaster to L-R" switch at the bottom of the control room panel is down.
    Make sure the "Digimaster - Main Mix L-R" switch just above the Control Room level switch is up.

Let us know how you get on.
    mrmo66
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/23 05:30:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for that, I can now get sound but only if I have the DIG MASTER MAIN MIX L/R down.! (the one above the CRM level control)

I take it at the moment that as I have no control over sound levels on
    the mixer that it is being used as little more than a sound card?

I have also NOW noticed that I CAN get sound if the DIG MASTER at the bottom (above the phones socket) is not active but the one above the CRM control is!

Any ideas, ideally I want to be able to use the midi fader to control the X1 levels, but that's something else I am a long way away from at the moment and is something else I will need to get my head around.

Regards,

Jeff
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/23 09:42:14 (permalink)
    To control the X1 levels from the R16, you must first select the bottom button next to each fader you want to use.  They are labeled "Fader=MIDI".  X1 tracks must "learn" the MIDI commands from the R16.  Right click on the X1 fader in the Console view and go through the learn process.  Its quick and easy.  You must first have selected in the preferences menu under the MIDI/Control Surfaces "ACT MIDI Controller" with an input of the Allen and Heath Firewire.  No MIDI output is needed as there is no control back to the console.  Also I use "Cakewalk Generic Surface" on the same menu.  Good luck.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/23 14:11:14 (permalink)
    You haven't got "2 track 1 replace L-R" active (down) have you? That'd result in strange things happening with the routing.

What driver mode are you using WDM or ASIO? I've never managed to get WDM to work satisfactorily at all. I seem to be missing channels with that mode.

You are correct in that the only way you can control the levels from Sonar is the main mix via the main faders unless, as BretB has pointed out you set up the ZED as a control surface but I don't use mine like that so can't help with that side of it.

I think your main woes may be the way you have the ZED routing the signal at the moment. There really isn't much you can't do with the ZED signal wise, getting your head around the permutations is the hard bit.
    mrmo66
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/23 14:53:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for your replies.

I think this now possibly has to be something to do with the routing on the desk, I have just tried to use the desk as a stand alone unit by plugging in a microphone to channel 1, I get a signal but the only way to get sound is through the PFL option on the channel.  I did wonder if something else was in PFL mode but the LED only lights up when I press the PFL buttons on the channels etc.

Regards,

Jeff
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Help- ZED R16 PLAYS BACK SOUND ONLY WITH AFL/PFL PRESSED 2011/07/24 02:00:21 (permalink)
    A couple of questions. How are you listening to the signal. I presume by the fact that you can hear something while the PFL/AFL is active that you are monitoring via the ctrl room panel, either headphones or monitors?

Based on that .......the only thing that springs to mind are things to check............

1. All the "2 track 2"  -  "2 track 1"  & "DIG Master - Main Mix L-R" buttons below the headphone control are up. (That is my number 1 bet)
    2. The white button near the top of the fader is down. That feeds the signal to the L-R (Main) buss
    3. Channel faders are up. (I know but worth checking)
    4. None of the 2 track replace/dub.... buttons are down.
    5. Main L/R faders are up.
    6. None of the PFL/AFL buttons are active on any of the channels or aux busses. (Think 'SOLO' buttons)
    7. None of the mutes are down. (lit)
    8. Er.............

Sounds to me like you aren't monitoring the L/R Buss - the PFL will force a signal to the ctrl room over riding any that is already there. Only problem is it only forces those that have their PFL/AFL active effectively muting everything else.

I suspect the monitoring buttons in number 1 above.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1