Help a Noob

Author
Michael Buturla
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2011/11/22 00:35:44 (permalink)

Help a Noob

Hi all,  Brand new to this forum, to Cakewalk, to recording music on computer, etc.   Was thinking to put this under the specific Guitar Tracks Pro Category, but maybe this here is more appropriate.  This is Day One for me using this product, and I'm just trying to get it up and running, hear what it can do, without reading 200+ pages (Which I will do eventually) of the suggested literature I saw in other post on this forum.   I bought Guitar Tracks Pro 4, and a UA-1G. I'm running them on a Acer laptop, 64 bit Windows 7.  The problem I'm having is that Guitar Rig 3 LE doesn't seem to hear anything I do, or to function at all.  From the pop ups that come up, all I can guess is that GTP4 is finding the 32 bit plug-in and not the 64 bit. ( I guess )  So its probably a super easy question to answer, but I've been screwing with this all day, following all the links and going to all the online helps, and haven't gotten anywhere.  Thanks in advance. 

7 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/22 17:10:31 (permalink)

Hi there Michael, welcome to the forum.

GTPro4 is a 32bit application so it won't be able to run 64bit plugins I'm afraid.

However, I'm not sure if there is a 64 bit version of Guitar Rig 3 bundled with GTPro4 - I think it's just 32 bit, but I could be wrong.

Which brings me to the question - have you run Guitar Rig in standalone mode yet? I believe there was a problem reported that you have to run it in standalone mode and register it before it will work as a plug-in.

Also, there is definitely an issue in Cakewalk SONAR running the newer version - Guitar Rig 4 LE - before it will work, it has to be updated to the latest update version. I'd suggest you check on the Native Instruments website and make sure you have the latest version of Guitar Rig 3.

If you are going to be using amp modellers such as Guitar Rig inside GTPro4, I'd also recommend you download the free version of IK Multimedia's excellent Amplitube 3 software - click on THIS LINK to go straight to the information and downloads page.

Hope that helps, and just get straight back to us if you need any more advice Michael.

Steve

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2011/11/22 17:17:44

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Michael Buturla
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/22 22:02:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve

With a bit of noodling around, I was able to get Guitar Rig working standalone. 

It would not work with GTP4 though, until I changed the VST scan folders option in GTP4 to point to where the 32-bit dll was.

(There is actually a 64-bit dll too. I tried mapping the GTP4 to scan for that one first, but it didn't work. I'm a little confused by all this still.)

Anyway, the Guitar Rig works standalone, which at least I'm happy about that. And I'll look into the link you suggest as well. 

I still don't know how to get the Guitar Rig sounds to play when GTP4 is running, seems like it only will play the preset templates or something, but like I mentioned this is the first week with this thing and still haven't read all the instructions.

Thanks for your help

Mike

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/22 23:06:15 (permalink)
    I was hoping you'd pop in, Steve, knowing he'd get more help here than in the Get Started forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/23 06:32:54 (permalink)
    57Gregy

I was hoping you'd pop in, Steve, knowing he'd get more help here than in the Get Started forum.

I keep my eyes peeled Greg

SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/23 06:53:23 (permalink)
    Michael Buturla

I still don't know how to get the Guitar Rig sounds to play when GTP4 is running, seems like it only will play the preset templates or something.... 

Mike, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

To hear the processed effect that the VST plug-in version of GR3 is applying to your guitar signal, you have to click on the Input Echo button (also referred to as Input Monitoring button) in the track you're recording to in GTPro3.

If you're unsure, the button looks like this:

If that's not the problem, are you actually seeing all the presets in the Sound Menu window, and if so, are they selectable. The interface should look like this when its open as a plug-in in GTPro4:

Michael Buturla
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/23 10:31:11 (permalink)
    I got it to work in GTP4.

I was hearing the guitar, I had the Input echo button pressed, but it was still unprocessed. 

I just needed to open up the drop down underneath the guitar track, and click the "effects" option - there was the Guitar Rig. Then Guitar Rig popped up just fine. 

I probably did this all backasswards, but the bottom line is it works now.

Thanks for your help Steve. I'm sure as I get into this I'll have more questions.

SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Help a Noob 2011/11/23 15:44:59 (permalink)

Cool, glad you got it working.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1