Help converting stereo to mono - canceling signal

Author
mikebeam
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
2017/03/20 01:46:06 (permalink)

Help converting stereo to mono - canceling signal

I know there's a term for this, but it escapes me.  I'm editing a podcast and I want to insert a quote from an old speech.  The audio is not very good - but that's ok because it's a historical speech.

When I sum it to Mono - the volume drops almost completely.  Zooming in, I can see that the two waves are exactly opposite...  Therefore they cancel out.  

Is there any way to correct this?  I would be fine splitting the audio and just having one channel. 
I've tried using Channel Tools plug-in, but can't seem to do it.  Any help is appreciated.

3 Replies Related Threads

quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: Help converting stereo to mono - canceling signal 2017/03/20 02:55:25 (permalink)
    I am in 8.5.3 so I don't know if this is applicable but ...

When you inserted the channel tool into the stereo track did you invert the polarity on only one of the two channels?  With the tool you should be able to invert the polarity of the L and R channels individually. 

If that is what you did and it didn't work and the L and R channels exactly cancel each other ... then most likely the two channels were simply polarity inverts of each other originally (maybe a remnant of some sort of attempt at M/S process ... but I speculate) and the simplest solution would be to use only one.  Just export (or bounce) the track as two mono tracks.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    mikebeam
    Re: Help converting stereo to mono - canceling signal 2017/03/20 09:34:49 (permalink)
    Yeah - I think you are right.  I'd like to bounce the tracks as two separate mono tracks - do you know how to do that?  The only options I can see are to "convert to mono" and that just gives me a silent track...
    mikebeam
    Re: Help converting stereo to mono - canceling signal 2017/03/20 09:37:16 (permalink)
    Ahhh... Found it in the export menu.  Thanks.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1