Help finding correct cables.

Author
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 256
2011/04/29 19:54:04 (permalink)

Help finding correct cables.

Hope someone can help, i purchased a TC Electronic C300 compressor and i'm not sure which cables i need for the output back into my VS100.
The manual (http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/C300_US_070307.pdf) says balanced jacks on the input which is fine, but then says if connecting the outputs to balanced inputs which on the VS100 they are, then a unbalanced jack to balanced jack must be used which i can't find or have even heard of.

Cheers
Steve.

I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
Would I write a book? Or should I take to the stage?
But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat

10 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/29 20:36:04 (permalink)
    try a normal 1/4" guitar cord.... I'll bet it works just fine.

Looking at the PDF ..... you might need to solder some cords together if you want to use the features described in the PDF where it shows the cord diagrams. ..... again, no biggie...... stop at the Radio shack, buy the connectors and get to soldering.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/30 04:32:26 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

try a normal 1/4" guitar cord.... I'll bet it works just fine.

Looking at the PDF ..... you might need to solder some cords together if you want to use the features described in the PDF where it shows the cord diagrams. ..... again, no biggie...... stop at the Radio shack, buy the connectors and get to soldering.

Thanks for looking, looks like i'll have to get soldering, which shouldn't be a problem as i'm an Electrician by trade.
    Why would they design something with balanced inputs and  unbalanced outputs that needs a unconventional cable?

Cheers
    Steve.

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/30 07:34:20 (permalink)
    I Looked at the manual and it seems to me it recommends using a standard mono cable, as Guitarhacker suggests, to connect the device to downstream devices with balanced inputs.

Connecting to balanced equipment.
    When connecting to C300 outputs to downstream devices with balanced inputs you MUST use
    mono/unbalanced plugs in the C300 outputs

Are you using the C300 in an insert of the VS100? That is the situation where it shows the two different kinds of cables you can use. Does the VS100 even have channel insert points?
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/30 09:34:42 (permalink)
    Creating your own cords for HI > LO imp is a lot more than just a soldering iron :) There is a conversion going on and although I don't know the exact specs, it's not just a couple of different ends.

If you use a standard guitar cable, then the entire chain will simply be high imp. The VS-100 auto shifts to high imp when you don't use a balanced cable. It should work just fine with a standard.

I would never go from HI > LO or LO > HI. Since the comp is using HI Imp output, keep it that way heading into the VS-100.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/30 09:46:40 (permalink)
    Chappel

I Looked at the manual and it seems to me it recommends using a standard mono cable, as Guitarhacker suggests, to connect the device to downstream devices with balanced inputs.

Connecting to balanced equipment.
    When connecting to C300 outputs to downstream devices with balanced inputs you MUST use
    mono/unbalanced plugs in the C300 outputs

Are you using the C300 in an insert of the VS100? That is the situation where it shows the two different kinds of cables you can use. Does the VS100 even have channel insert points?

Thanks for your advice, the VS100 doesn't have insert points just balanced in and out Jack plugs, a pair for stereo in and a pair for stereo out.
    The cable shown(type 3) has balanced on one end which i thought would connect to the VS100 input and unbalanced on the other end which i thought was for connecting to the output of the C300.
    I haven't got the unit yet, it should be delivered in the next day or two, i'll try just standard unbalanced cables on the output, but don't want to lose 6db of gain which it talk's about on unbalanced cables.
    I was going to set it up as a external insert within Sonar.

Cheers
    Steve.

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/30 09:52:40 (permalink)
    codamedia

Creating your own cords for HI > LO imp is a lot more than just a soldering iron :) There is a conversion going on and although I don't know the exact specs, it's not just a couple of different ends.

If you use a standard guitar cable, then the entire chain will simply be high imp. The VS-100 auto shifts to high imp when you don't use a balanced cable. It should work just fine with a standard.

I would never go from HI > LO or LO > HI. Since the comp is using HI Imp output, keep it that way heading into the VS-100.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info, i'll try it with unbalanced cables on the output and see if i get any gain reduction coming back into Sonar's external insert plugin.

Cheers
    Steve.

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/04/30 18:45:20 (permalink)
    Hi Steve This is an unusual situation for sure and to be honest I have not seen it that many times either. I agree with others try a standard unbalanced lead first.

If you look at the wiring in the manual it is the type 3 cable you need to make. From the diagram this is just the standard unbalanced to balanced input lead where one of the balanced inputs is tied to ground.

NOTE. If you get any form of hum after making this cable try disconnecting the shields between the two jack plugs. ie the tip of the unbalanced output goes to the tip of the balanced input and the earth of the unbalanced output goes to the ring of the balanced input. Leave the shield/ground of the balanced input unconnected. This still works but breaks any ground loop situations.

codamedia is a bit incorrect here. The output impedance of the compressor is actually low (35 ohms) from the specs. No modern piece of gear has a high output impedance these days. He is correct in saying going from Hi imp OUT to Lo imp IN is not good but you are going from Low imp OUT to either Hi or Low imp IN so it does not matter.

Also loosing 6 db of gain is no biggie either as it is usually easily made up somewhere without issue.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/05/01 03:30:24 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Hi Steve This is an unusual situation for sure and to be honest I have not seen it that many times either. I agree with others try a standard unbalanced lead first.

If you look at the wiring in the manual it is the type 3 cable you need to make. From the diagram this is just the standard unbalanced to balanced input lead where one of the balanced inputs is tied to ground.

NOTE. If you get any form of hum after making this cable try disconnecting the shields between the two jack plugs. ie the tip of the unbalanced output goes to the tip of the balanced input and the earth of the unbalanced output goes to the ring of the balanced input. Leave the shield/ground of the balanced input unconnected. This still works but breaks any ground loop situations.

codamedia is a bit incorrect here. The output impedance of the compressor is actually low (35 ohms) from the specs. No modern piece of gear has a high output impedance these days. He is correct in saying going from Hi imp OUT to Lo imp IN is not good but you are going from Low imp OUT to either Hi or Low imp IN so it does not matter.

Also loosing 6 db of gain is no biggie either as it is usually easily made up somewhere without issue.

Thanks for this, i can't find a balanced to unbalanced cable anywhere in the UK.I'll try the unbalanced cable and see how it works out.
    I'm off on my Hols today for a week  so i'll let you know how i get on when i get back.
    Thanks again.

Cheers
    Steve.

post edited by steve@psbnoe.wanadoo - 2011/05/01 03:31:29

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/05/01 13:10:06 (permalink)

Thanks for the correction Jeff! I apoligize for the mis information. I was assuming that since they were saying to use an unbalanced cable on the output that the output was truely hi imp. I must admit - I didn't read the manual/specs

In any case - this is a very odd situation. Hopefully the hi impedence cord will just work for you
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/05/01 13:11:56

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Help finding correct cables. 2011/05/10 06:39:00 (permalink)

Just to let you know the unbalanced cables on the output work fine, and its a great bit of kit for the money, didn't know how useful a gate/expander can be.

Cheers
    Steve.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1