Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem

Author
hoycon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/20 08:18:04 (permalink)

Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem

I'm a long time user, 1st time poster. I'm trying to trouble shoot a problem with Sonor 7 PE and
Project 5. The problem started with Sonor 7 hanging when when trying to exit a project. I was able to restart and all worked fine for awhile. Started up Sonor 7 the next day and starting having issues. The audio engine tries to start but quits almost immediately. If I keep trying either Sonor 7 or Project 5, I get the BSOD with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with the error STOP0x000000D1 (0xF7C5AC5C, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x84DDC080). I can play wave files with Soundforge although the audio cuts out intermittanly.

My PC is a MusicXPC- C2 Pentium 4, 3.00 GHZ, 1.00 GB Ram
My audio interface is a MOTU Traveler.

Anyone know of a tech person in the South Florida area that would be knowlegeable of DAW issues?

10 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 09:14:21 (permalink)
    To find out exactly what is causing the issue see one of my earlier posts HERE although knowing cause and fixing are two completely different things but at least you'll know what you are trying to fix.

That was written for XP BTW but will be very similar for both Vista and 7 although you'll obviously need the correct version of WinDbg.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 09:16:49 (permalink)
    If you get a 'dump' file associated with it - then try this:

1. Make sure that you have a page file allocated on your OS drive. Unless you've switched this off you will have. To check/set right Click My Computer->Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance Frame->Settings->Advance Tab->Virtual Memory Frame->Change Button. If you're not sure about manually setting it set to "System Managed Size". I've never seen any noticeable advantage by setting it manually. I only have mine turned on for the dump files. OK your way back to the System Properties->Advanced tab

2. Click on Startup and Recovery->Settings and make sure that under System failure frame->Write debugging information that "Small memory dump" is selected from the drop down box. Make a note of the small dump directory path probably set at "%SystemRoot%\Minidump". This is where you'll find the dump file. Unless you've changed from the default install that'll be in your C:\WINDOWS directory. You'll need to know it later. OK your way out.

3. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/...ugging/installx86.Mspx and download the latest current release and then install it.

4. Start WinDbg and select File->Symbol Path Enter SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols into the box. OK your way out. Exit and restart the program.

5. Now select File->Open Crash Dump and navigate your way to the Minidump directory whcih by default will be C:\WINDOWS\MiniDump and select the dump file you want to open. They have the format "MiniDateCountForDay" so you'll see something like Mini020809-01.dmp

6. It'll take a few seconds to load first time as it looks online for the symbols. If you're not online at the time you'll need to download the symbol files, put them on your harddrive somewhere and then tell WinDmp where they are. It's much easier and quicker being online

7. After a while you'll see a load of info and eventually a starred up banner with "Bugcheck Analysis" in it. Underneath that click on the !analyze bit in "Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information". You should then see a lot of mumbo jumbo from which you should be able to fairly easily decipher exactly what caused the crash. Won't fix it but at least you'll know and that's the sort of info a company needs to improve their drivers etc.

It looks more drawn out than what it is in reality and it takes out the guess work as it tells you which driver is at fault. Which is precisely what you want to know.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 09:18:34 (permalink)
    Hey biker chap. I'm using your post. Back off. I own your words now.

PS: I've used it twice since you posted it and it's sorted it both times.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 09:24:40 (permalink)
    strikinglyhandsome1

Hey biker chap. I'm using your post. Back off. I own your words now.

PS: I've used it twice since you posted it and it's sorted it both times.

I thought they looked familiar.......
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 09:30:10 (permalink)
    IRQ not less than is generally memory related (bad stick of ram)
    or bad(weak) power supply
    it can be caused by software.

often it will look like its software when its actually bad sectors (address) of memory

Scott
    ADK

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 09:40:50 (permalink)
    Using Sonar 8.5 and I get the same thing (BSOD with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) when I try switching from one of my other audio drivers (Motu or Line6) to Asio4All.
    Was happening about 70% when I was using Vista, now that I'm using Win7 its about 90% of the time.
    Major PIA.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/20 10:04:18 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago MIDI Yoke caused this problem for me.

IRQ conflict maybe.

Had to uninstall it.

I now use Maple midi pipes for some things. And use a physical loop for other stuff.
    hoycon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/23 13:02:19 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who posted....The problem has been resolved. Looks like one of the drivers got corrupted by a lock-up that I had to power down to get out of. MS restore back to a week previous to the error reset the drivers. I'm back in business.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/23 13:12:49 (permalink)
    Anytime you get an error message stating there is a driver error I recommend removing and reinstalling the drivers... MOTU and M-Audio are particular problem creators and watch out if you uninstall MOTU stuff as it will not remove everything it installed leaving pieces to clean up or interact with other drivers that are shared.... you have to uninstall and then reboot.. then go into the folder the MOTU stuff was installed to (ex. C:program files/) and delete the folder still there that says MOTU.  Then reboot again and reinstall.  The drivers cause problems with Windows installed drivers sometimes, especially if your software automatically updates.. so a Windows driver gets updated or the MOTU driver and then they conflict.... 

It is a common problem but can be cleared up easily..

Just for future en devours...

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Help in trouble shooting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem 2010/07/23 18:50:35 (permalink)
    It does sound like a soundcard driver problem. You also need more RAM - 1GB is not enough.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1