Help!!!

Author
purplekisses7528
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/05/24 03:15:06 (permalink)

Help!!!

I bought this Music Creator 4 a month ago, and i have yet to work anything. Can somebody please tell me what the **** to do.

18 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 07:49:49 (permalink)
    no - not without more information. what have you tried to do and what doesn't it do? are you getting error messages? are you trying to record? audio or midi? what is your computer setup? what soundcard do you have?

we can't help without you giving us something to go on.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 10:40:02 (permalink)
    MC4 is a cool program but like Beagle said, we need to know about your system. The sound card info is critical.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 11:24:02 (permalink)
    If you look up the questions that I have posted from when I started off over the last 3 months, you will get all the possible info on all the basics you need to get you up and away.

I can assure you that I have asked every dumb question in the book, and these good folks have put me on the right track. (yes even all the embarrassingly simple ones you dread asking!)

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    purplekisses7528
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 15:26:53 (permalink)
    thank everyone for their responses, ok, i'm not really computer literate, so here goes. mu computeris a dell inspirion 531 s, i have windows vista, i have no idea about the sound card on my computer and haven't purchased anything extra such as musical instruments, I thought all the things i needed to make music were included in the musice creator 4. so basically i am a beginner and I have no idea of what i am doing. Thank You all
    Beagle
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 15:29:53 (permalink)
    ok, that's a start, but we still need a little more info. from my questions above:

what have you tried to do and what doesn't it do? are you getting error messages? what are you trying to record? microphone? guitar?

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 16:08:38 (permalink)
    With Music Creator, you can make music without an instrument. If you have musical knowledge and/or are musically talented, or computer talented, you can create music with it, by clicking in notes or data with the mouse, or downloading sounds and loops and samples from the internet and piecing them together. But, if we know how capable your computer is, what sound card you're using, even an onboard sound card, and what steps you have tried, which haven't worked, we can probably help in you making music.
    Have you tried going through the tutorials? Most of them contain MIDI tracks which need a MIDI synthesizer or software synthesizer in order to hear them. Have you gotten the message that there is no MIDI device? If so, you will need to do the tutorial on 'Using Software Synthesizers', which will allow you to hear the MIDI data being played.
    If you want to record sound only, we still need to know how fast your computer is and how much memory it has, and what the sound card is.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Sange
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 16:15:27 (permalink)
    Hmm... it wont let me make my own past for some reason. Gregy, you may have answered my question anyways. Here's my problem. Would this also be one of these software synthesizer issues?

Just bought Music Creator a couple days ago. For some reason, no sound will play straight from the program. I opened up some of the sample files to make sure i wasn't doing anything wrong myself and the sample files appear to be playing, but again, no audio is played. Out of curiosity, I saved some of the pre-existing files as midi files to see if they would still work then, and sure enough, when playing them as midi files outside of Music Creator, they worked fine (the downtown song is kinda nifty). I am running windows Vista (been trying to repent), 4GB ram, 2200 pentium processor, and have nothing special for a sound card yet. I'm just running off the stock on board sound drivers that came with the computer (i believe it was realtek). Plus, when I check my midi devices through the program, nothing shows up and the list is empty. I would expect that at least my on board sound card would appear. In the program, it says something to the extent of "driver is either not compatible or is in use" and lists my drivers that it doesn't like.
    57Gregy
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 16:37:55 (permalink)
    Okay, Sange, you might also want to do the soft synth tutorial. In the past, we often told users with no sound to change the MC driver mode to MME, which is the slowest driver, in order to get sound. But the problems associated with that driver makes it pretty much mandatory that you learn to use soft synths, for better sounds, and faster response from the processor.
    Are you getting any audio (not MIDI) from the samples? Try opening one of the tutorials that contain audio to see if you can hear the audio tracks play. Audio has a little squiggly line icon so you can tell the difference from a MIDI track, which has a circular icon.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Sange
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 16:57:57 (permalink)
    No audio at all from the samples. Only when I save them in a different format do I get to hear them. Havn't been home too much lately, so I havn't had any time to go through any tutorials yet. I had time to install the software, click a few buttons and find out that nothing makes noise and head back to work. Sadly i'm not at home right now, i'm at work, so i can't try that one immediately. Once I get home, i'll definately give that a shot. Thanks.
    57Gregy
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 17:07:35 (permalink)
    Well, since you're not home so you can see it, I'll just throw a couple questions out for you to try to answer later.
    In MC, click 'options>audio' and look around in there for the playback and recording timing masters. What is listed there? Also find the driver mode, what is it set to?
    In MC, select one of the tutorial songs, "Downtown" is good. Go to the top and click 'insert>soft synths>TTS-1'. You'll get a dialog box with some options, uncheck the 'create MIDI source track' box, since the MIDI track has already been created. You won't have to change anything else.
    After TTS-1 is loaded, go to 1 of the MIDI tracks and expand it so you can see all the properties. Change the output (O) to TTS-1. Click play. What happens? Let us know when you're ready for more.

Greg 

Sange
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/24 17:10:55 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for the help. Once I get home i'll implement your suggestions and let you know if it worked. You've got me excited to get off work now :P
    Sange
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 01:31:05 (permalink)
    Ok, so i tried the suggestions you gave. For some reason, i'm still not getting sound from it. Followed the synth tutorials all the way through and that still didn't work. under Audio > Options playback and recording timing master listed is "Tunebite High-Speed Dubbing". Driver mode is "WDM/KS". I also tried changing all outputs to the TTS option and still, i've got no sound inside the program. is there perhaps any particular drivers/plug-ins/patches/etc. that would cause this to work?
    Beagle
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 06:54:08 (permalink)
    NO - don't change your AUDIO OUTPUTS to try to get a softsynth to play. AUDIO OUTPUTS and the TIMING MASTERS are for the soundcard.

and no, if you don't have a MIDI keyboard or drum machine connected to your computer then nothing will show up in the MIDI DEVICES list (except the MS GS wavetable IF it's available). so if you don't have a MIDI DEVICE, then you don't have anything to check!

change to MME driver mode:
    OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED>DRIVER MODE = MME
    close MC
    restart MC
    let the wave profiler run

NOW try to insert a softsynth into tutorial #8 example file and see if it plays

Guitarhacker
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 21:15:36 (permalink)
    These guys here can maybe help you new guys get started making sound. The sample files are midi so you will need to do tutorial #8 on inserting a sorft synth. That is how you get sound from the computer. Having said that...most people that buy MC4 , take it home and expect to get sound immediately. Most often...it's not quite that simple.

MC4 is a really good program and it does alot...but to get the most from it you really should plan on upgrading your sound card. The soundcard most computers have when they come from the factory is NOT really capable of working with MC4 at 100% efficiency. Even if you get it working, you will likely experience severe latency...(delays in sync recording). A quality sound card/interface will reduce this to practically zero...allowing you to use the program to it's fullest extent.

BMI/NSAI

Sange
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 21:51:22 (permalink)
    Ok, so i've tried everything and it didn't work. I think my next step would be to upgrade my soundcard, like you said Guitarhacker. Hopefully that works. I might have a spare, good soundcard around here somewhere. i'll see if i can dig it up and save myself some money.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 22:12:16 (permalink)
    Probably a bad mistake Sange... most factory cards and even some of the so called good cards, will not be satisfactory. Your best bet is to go to a music store..the kind with a pro audio department and a recording department. Talk with them and see what they have. You will probably spend between $100 to $300 to get a decent sound card/interface.

Do have a budget? Or any idea as to what you are needing?

BMI/NSAI

rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 22:37:52 (permalink)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=433346

Copy and paste the above link into your address bar - theres heaps of stuff on getting set up, what problems you may have etc. Some very knowledgeable bloke posted it a while ago.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    57Gregy
    RE: Help!!! 2008/05/25 22:45:30 (permalink)
    Sange, did the wave profiler run when you first opened MC? What is "Tunebite"? In the playback and recording masters list, is there anything else selectable, like maybe the RealTek?
    Are you using Music Creator 4 with your Vista PC? How fast is your computer and how much memory does it have?

Greg 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1