Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end"

Author
moffdnb
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1332
2011/01/21 09:49:10 (permalink)

Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end"

Hey all,

OK after doing the "Car" test on my mixes there is way to much bottom end.  There very muddy on the very low end.  Almost sounds subby but all above seems fine.  If I take some bass out of the CAR stereo setting then I'm spot on.  Now when I A/Bing against commercial releases on my KRK's, they more or less match so its obviously my room that is contributing to the problem.  Though when A/Bing on my AGK phones theres a good match on the mixes. ???

I have some bass traps in the room and after doing some mic tests at my listening position I do have some peaks and nulls up to 300hz.  What I have done to help this was to EQ the output of my soundcard so its more or less balanced now.  I still have this bottom end issue.  Its just too flabby.  Need it much tighter but my technique to figuring this out is not working obviously.

When I am mixing and EQing the bottom end parts I usually use a shelf EQ.  Again when A/Bing against commercial tunes sometime I have to boost the shelf to get the same weight.  I'm getting a bit lost now trying to suss exactly what my problem is. 

Any suggestions here is appreciated...

20 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 09:53:12 (permalink)

"What I have done to help this was to EQ the output of my soundcard so its more or less balanced now."

Give us some specific details about what you did.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 10:22:50 (permalink)
    what kind of room do you monitor in?
    is it treated?
     what kind of monitors do you use?
    what is their lowest frequency available for reproduction?

do you use a sub?

there are more questions than answers here...
    help us along.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 10:24:11 (permalink)
    i can tell you that 'boosting low shelf' to get weight is the wrong approach.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

moffdnb
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 10:44:37 (permalink)
    Sorry your right...  I could have given more info:

KRK RP5's  (53hz)
    Untreated average bedroom barring 2 "Ready acoustic bags" rockwool basstraps lying horizontally behind each monitor (can't add much more treatment as a concession for my girl)
    No sub

My room:

I've done ETHAN WHINERS Room acoustic test with a RODE NT1a mic and here are my results:

SO I have issues!  I have EQ carefully the soundcard output to help rebalance this response and it seems to help bring up the nulls and bring down the peaks but I'm not confident I'm doing the right thing as I still have bass problems.

Thanks yall!

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 10:53:48 (permalink)
    " I have EQ carefully the soundcard output to help rebalance this response and it seems to help bring up the nulls and bring down the peaks but I'm not confident I'm doing the right thing as I still have bass problems."

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that you have EQ'd the output of your sound card?

If so, that is a procedure that will simply make you do more of what you are trying not to do.

moffdnb
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 11:04:08 (permalink)
    @mike:

For example I have a major peak at 136hz (you can see in pic).  On analysis it peaks at 7.5db so I have an EMU0404 which alows me to EQ the outputs of the card at -7db at 136hz (with a carefully matched Q setting...

I'm suspecting your cringing at this?  ;<

p.s. the very bottom response is with the EQ etc.  It seems to have leveled it out.
    post edited by moffdnb - 2011/01/21 11:05:22
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 11:16:56 (permalink)
    Yes, I am. :-)

The technique you are using is advocated for by many people... but it is also criticized by many as simply causing (if not doubling) the problems.

The crux of the matter is that doing what you are doing is perfectly normal for a playback system while it is absolutely wrong for a monitor for mixing system.

Never the less you will find advocates that swear doing what you are doing helps them mix better and you will find vendors trying to sell you automated room correction technology.

As you can see... it is causing you to second guess your abilities and your mixes aren't satisfying you.

The only practical solution is to continue to treat your room and set up your speakers away from the walls as best you can while you learn to compensate for the anomalies that occur in your room when you mix.

Correcting the playback of your monitor system simply encourages you to continue to overcompensate for the problems so it makes sense to me that you are confused by the results when you take your mix to other listening situations.

You will probably receive all sorts of advice that contradicts what I have just said.

Good Luck!!!

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 11:35:09 (permalink)
    My soundcard also has a control panel that allows me to pre-set levels and eq and even FX......

step away from the soundcard's control panel....!!!!

You want the soundcard to give you a flat output, not affected by EQ or anything else.

Do your eq and compression AND  everything else in the DAW.

Muddy bottom end usually comes form having two or more things in the same sonic space. Such as a piano and a bass guitar.... they share many notes in common and they will muddy the mix if you don't give them their separate space in the final mix.

Also...less is more.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 13:54:52 (permalink)
    moff, a couple thoughts...first of all, your dilemma is not unique, everybody struggles with the same issue. There is no magic bullet. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how to make mixes that translate to other systems. I, for one, am still struggling with it despite years of study, acoustical treatments, equipment upgrades, experimentation and analysis.

The prerequisite is to create a neutral listening environment, which is more difficult than it first appears. Speakers are only a small part of it - your room is messing with you to a far greater extent. That 136Hz anomaly is due to standing waves at one of your room's resonant frequencies. The wavelength of 136Hz is about 7.5 feet, which I'll bet is the height of your ceiling. Your photo doesn't show if you have anything on the ceiling, but you might be able to at least soften the problem with 4" of fiberglass hung a couple inches below the ceiling. Some thick bass traps in the upper corners where the walls meet the ceiling would help a lot.

Equalization can help as long as you understand its limitations. Only use filters for frequencies below 300Hz and only use cuts, no boosts. Use low-Q bandwidths and limit the cuts to around 8db or less, even if measurements indicate larger adjustments are needed. Measure the results at the mix position at ear level -  those measurements will not be valid anywhere else in the room. You can only EQ a small area (the mix position). There no such thing as EQ-ing the whole room; that is a physical impossibility.

Finally, bear in mind that your secondary reference - the car - is a terrible reference. Car stereos are not flat and usually hype bass around 80-100Hz to give the impression of lots of bass even though the system may drop off quickly below 70-80Hz. Car speakers are never optimally placed, with tweeters aimed at windshields and woofers mounted in doors that don't have enough internal volume to properly load the speakers. Cars are subject to resonance like any other enclosed space, but where your studio space might start having issues at 300Hz and below, the much smaller car cabin will starting getting weird at 500 to 700Hz. You think your studio looks bad? Try recording Ethan's test in the driver's seat of your car!

In short, the car is a seriously deficient reference. But it doesn't mean it's completely useless. Get some well-made commercial recordings and play them through your KRKs. Not just for a few seconds, but spend an hour listening. Then take that CD out to the car and listen closely. Concentrate on bass, kick, cymbals and vocals. You'll begin to identify certain instruments that are louder/softer/brighter/clearer in the studio than in the car, and vice versa. No amount of EQ is going to fix that, unless everyone in the world comes to your house and sits in your car to listen to your music.

This, I believe, is the single best thing anyone can do: devote time to seriously listening to well-made commercial recordings in your studio. It costs nothing and can improve your mixes immensely by training your brain to unconsciously compensate for errors in your room. This was a recent epiphany for me, inspired by the excellent book "Sound Reproduction" by Floyd E. Toole, which blends speaker technology, room acoustics and psychoacoustics to explain the apparent impossibility of ever hearing "accurate" audio.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 15:17:52 (permalink)
    moffdnb

Hey all, 

What I have done to help this was to EQ the output of my soundcard so its more or less balanced now.  

When A/Bing against commercial tunes sometime I have to boost the shelf to get the same weight.  I'm getting a bit lost now trying to suss exactly what my problem is. 
    When A/Bing again commercial tunes, are those tunes being played through your "EQ'd" sound card? If not, that would not be a true A/B. But as with so many other responses here, I strongly recommend you don't mess with the output of your soundcard. Keep it flat.

Bass is a very difficult animal to tame and everyone will approach it differently. When I record, the only two items I allow in the lowest spectrum is kick, and bass (Bass = any instrument that has a reason to be there. Bass guitar, doghouse, Tuba, Taurus pedals, Barry White's voice, etc...). Everything else get's a roll off to prevent it leaking into that territory. With just the two instruments fighting in that range, it's a lot easier to take control of it.  (sure, that's a simplified way to put it, but it's a starting point).

Want to test what really needs to be in the lower frequencies? Put on your favorite CD you think has great low end. Turn off all speakers except the sub! (edit: if you don't have a sub - try and put the CD through an EQ so you only hear everything under "roughly" 100hz) What you hear is the only thing that should be placed in that range. I bet it's a Kick and a Bass.  Now try that with your own music. Is there anything else down there. If so - roll it off.

There are a lot of great answers in this thread, but one that stands out for me is bitflipper's last paragraph. "Devote time to seriously listening to well-made commercial recordings in your studio".
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/21 15:32:58

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 19:58:04 (permalink)
    Listening to one of my mixes in the car after FM radio ( with all the stuff they do at the station that's broadcasting ) can be pretty humbling !!!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/21 20:31:07 (permalink)
    DJ... they don't do all that "stuff" at the station. A station generally plays the CD straight up.

The sound you are referring to is achieved in the studio.  Compression, EQ, Reverb.... it's all done in the studio and mastering house.  The CD you buy in the store is the same one they play at the station.

It is possible for you to learn what to do to get a "broadcast quality" recording out of your home studio. It's not easy, but with time, practice and education, it is a realistic goal.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/22 08:04:21 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

DJ... they don't do all that "stuff" at the station. A station generally plays the CD straight up.

The sound you are referring to is achieved in the studio.  Compression, EQ, Reverb.... it's all done in the studio and mastering house.  The CD you buy in the store is the same one they play at the station.

I wish they would play the music "straight up"! Have you ever noticed that all stations "sound" different. Some louder, some quieter, some brighter, some duller, etc.... Stations do use some outboard gear, as they strive to get an edge on their competitor. The most common is compression. Most FM stations compress a track so much it is almost unbearable - just to sound "louder" when someone dials it in. Some will EQ (I have never heard of a station adding reverb) but certainly compression. The trained ear will prefer the stations that sounds a little quieter, as they have not compressed the track to death!

In the genre I have the most experience in (Country Music - please don't laugh, LOL) songs are often re mastered for release to radio. The CD's are mixed pretty loud these days, but because the radio stations add so much compression - they tone that down for the release. The version the radio gets has even more dynamic range than the CD (mixed quieter). Sure, the station may have a CD on hand and play from that - but the singles get released individually as a digital download and they often sound different than the CD.

I will agree that the overall mix comes from the song itself. It's more as if the Radio Station does it's own "mastering stage" to a mix. And not a very good one in my point of view.

Granted, I'm in Canada not the US, but I'm pretty sure the techniques are the same.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the "radio station" stuff is getting off topic. The OP is actually comparing a commercial CD to his own mix in a car, not to the radio itself.  Great discussion for a new thread though - I'm sure there all all kinds of experiences to be shared.
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/22 08:11:21

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    D.J. ESPO
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/22 14:20:24 (permalink)
    http://www.orban.com/

ftp://orban.com/8300/Documentation/8300_2.1.2_Operating_Manual.pdf

"

Products

Orban's OPTIMOD series audio processors pull in larger audience shares with a louder, cleaner and more attractive signal. Whether your signal is AM, FM, HF/shortwave, conventional television, DTV, DAB or Webcasting, OPTIMOD processing will shape your sound for maximum reach, appeal and long-term listenability."
    D.J. ESPO
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/22 14:23:10 (permalink)
    I Just wanted to make sure that the OP was only comparing against CD's and was aware of the foilbles of comparing to FM Broadcast..... ( which can and are often being processed heavily )

The 8300 can increase the density and loudness of the program material by
    multiband compression, limiting, and clipping. This improves the consistency of
    the station’s sound and increasing loudness and definition remarkably, without
    producing unpleasant side effects.

http://www.orban.com/support/orban/techtopics/Appdx_Radio_Ready_The_Truth_1.3.pdf 

post edited by D.J. ESPO - 2011/01/22 16:45:54
    MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/22 18:37:22 (permalink)
    The big question is how are you planning to mix lows with 5-inch speakers? Unless you are going to go old-school and cut off everything below 100...

Did you remove all the bass from your midrange and high instruments? If not you need to go back a few steps.

The bass instrument is a more likely culprit than the kick, due to the kick's short duration, it rarely sounds muddy.

I work in a variety of studios, and sometimes the playback systems are not optimal. The best place to have the lows is as close as possible to the average mix of the major songs in that genre. If you don't trust your monitors, here's the next best way to get something close to that result: Put a major release song from the genre of the song you're mixing in a track next to your instrument tracks and send it to a bus that goes straight to the sound card - all settings normalized. Apply a temporary stand-in for what will be your mastering compressor in your master bus (for this process, this should be the only thing in the master bus, and it should not be removing more than 3dB), and do an A/B Mash (play both songs at once) , adjusting the volume and tone of your kick and bass instr. until you have low end chaos and can no longer tell which kick and bass are yours and which are theirs. When you turn the other song off, your low frequency mix will be very close to the standard, and will not cause the listener to reach for the EQ.

That's it.    It's not a very pleasant process, and you might consider it "cheating" or "copycatting", but it's a quick way to get in the ballpark.
    post edited by MasterInTheMix - 2011/01/22 19:12:39

If I told you how that was recorded, you wouldn't believe me...

Tips from our lead and assistant sound engineers: Engineer 1 and Engineer 2, also known as Engineer B and Engineer A...
    http://www.masterinthemix.com/
    moffdnb
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/24 04:46:09 (permalink)
    Very interesting responses here.  Much appreciation to all.  I think some printing is in order   ;>
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/24 05:44:18 (permalink)
    MasterInTheMix

The big question is how are you planning to mix lows with 5-inch speakers? Unless you are going to go old-school and cut off everything below 100...

And the rokit 5's are exceptionally bad in the low end. They sound like they roll off pretty high up and have a bass boost around 80hz to increase the perception of a lower response. The 6's are much better, still not my cup of tea, but definitely a lot better than the 5's. You can't get ANY idea on low end from a set of rokit 5's.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

moffdnb
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/25 03:14:44 (permalink)
    Any thoughts on where I have positioned the bass traps?
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Help me get to the bottom of the "Bottom end" 2011/01/25 14:09:42 (permalink)
    They're probably about right, but you should, if you can, continue the sequence of panels on both side walls to capture any mirrored reflections from the monitors.

Get a helper to poisition a mirror flat against each wall in turn, and wherever you can see the monitor in the reflection - that's your mirror point and should be the central point of your absorber.

You might improve things a little tiny bit by hanging the new panels vertically instead of horizontally.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1