Help me make a decision... Please

Author
stevee9c6
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 464
2011/07/16 15:26:24 (permalink)

Help me make a decision... Please

So, here I am a couple of years after having studiocat build me a quad 6600 rack mount system. It still works just fine. However, I am still running XP 32 bit. I have recently decided to upgrade to win 7 64bit since I just upgraded from Producer 8.5 to X1. As long as I am doing that, I am thinking it is time to upgrade the computer.
I talked to Jim and he gave me a ballpark for upgrading the CPU to a i7 2600, new MB, memory etc..... I intitially was planning to use the i7 970. The thought of 6 cores is just too cool! However, Jim kind of discouraged it saying that the 2600 would be mucho bueno.
At the same time, I'm thinking I want to install a universal audio UAD2 quad card.

Interestingly enough, when I research the difference in speed and power of the  q6600 vs the i72600, I find many comments from folks on the web that I won't gain that much.
I do know that my MB (Abit I35 Pro) is limited to 8 mb of ram. I am currently using 4 mb of ddr2 800mhz crucial but upgrading to the 8 mb DDR 2 800 is farily cheap.

I am running X1 producer and have a VX700 front end. I use a variety of drum programs and don't use much in the way of keyboards and honestly have zero CPU issues at present running multiple VST plugs (SSL, CW, Voxengo, etc)

I guess my decision is if I really need to do the CPU and MB change out.  I know for sure that I want to install the UAD2 Quad and have found a very nice (far below MAP) deal from an authorized dealer. It appears to me that I could simply install Win 7 64, upgrade my memory, install the UAD2 Quad and save the money of the CPU/MB upgrade.

Am I going down the wrong path here? Do I just bite the bullet and upgrade all?

thanks so much for your comments.

Steve 
www.stevestallingsmusic.com

6 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Help me make a decision... Please 2011/07/16 17:02:27 (permalink)
    How much do you save by doing all the upgrades? You will lose the value of your current working computer by cannibalizing it to save a few bucks. Sounds like you will just be re-using a case and power supply if you do the full upgrades. If so, you might better just go to a whole new computer. In that case you would still have a perfectly usable machine running XP that should be fine for years for general use if you buy a new dedicated DAW. Or if you really want the most bang for your buck, defer the upgrades altogether until you have clearly outgrown your current machine. By then you will probably be asking if you need a 12-core processor and 32 gigs of ram for a comparable price.
    noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:Help me make a decision... Please 2011/07/16 21:30:08 (permalink)
    One key question: what do you want to do that would outstrip your current processor?  The 2600 Sandy Bridge would be better than the i7 970 with one key exception: if you are using many heavy duty sample libraries the i7 970 supports up to 24 gigs of ram (as it is tri channel) while the current Sandy Bridge processors only support 16 channels of ram.  Supposedly, tri channel Sandy Bridge chips are due out the last quarter of this year.

Certainly 64 bit has many advantages over 32 bit, especially when it comes to loading sample libraries.  But, for what you are doing or are seeking to do, are you currently running into memory restrictions?  From your post, it sounds like, at least for the present, you are not having problems.

IMO, given the fast pace of change in computer technology, it seems best to upgrade only when one needs to.  Better to hit a bottle neck and then know of a clear need and reason to upgrade, than just to spend money before one really has to, and possibly spend it in ways that subsequently prove to not be of any major benefit.

Jim
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help me make a decision... Please 2011/07/16 22:36:20 (permalink)
    I tend to agree with post 2.... with computer parts becoming obsolete so quickly, trying to save a few bucks and reuse the old parts with new chips, it is often not a cost effective way to do things.

If I was upgrading, I'd just bite the bullet and buy new parts and build a totally new box, keeping the old working one as a second DAW.

Just my 2 cents

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    stevee9c6
    Re:Help me make a decision... Please 2011/07/16 23:28:50 (permalink)
    Thank you...

My current setup has never so much as hiccuped, even running some extensive plugs and drum sample libraries.  I do want to migrate to the Win 7/64 platform from XP  though. This is inexpensive but looks like it will be a pain in the patoot to accomplish.  I do plan on going ahead and buying the UAD2 Quad flexi though.  There current special is pretty cool.
    post edited by stevee9c6 - 2011/07/16 23:45:14

Steve 
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Help me make a decision... Please 2011/07/18 14:01:50 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,

If you're talking about the 2600k running at 4.5GHz, it would be a substantial upgrade over the Q6600.
    That said, if you don't need the speed... you don't need the speed.
    In particular, you'd be able to sustain greater loads at ultra low latency settings.

The primary reason/advantage to run Win7x64 is to address more than 4GB of RAM.
    If that's not a pressing issue, then migrating to Win7x64 won't change much.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    stevee9c6
    Re:Help me make a decision... Please 2011/07/18 14:07:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim...

Steve 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1