Help me soundblock for free!!

Author
topemu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/04/02 14:16:33 (permalink)

Help me soundblock for free!!

OK so i'm in dire need of sound proofing (NOT accoustics) and i'm broke.
I use powertools in a condo and must protect neighbors and family from the noise.
I think the main culprit is the vibration from the tools.
But also the high pitch noise is very loud. But from my meager audio understanding its the low frequency that is hard to stop.

Ayways i've read alot about needing air space barriers.
So I was thinking of floating the floor.

BUT i cant buy anything, I can only use free stuff I find in recycling or on craigslist
so how are these products
particle board (for the floor base)
styrofoam (as a filler)
cardboard (as a soft filler)
cubicle walls (sound blocking?)

3 Replies Related Threads

mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Help me soundblock for free!! 2014/04/02 23:35:30 (permalink)
    Honestly...I wouldn't waste your time on that task, as the reduction will be minimal.  You'll do better off cost wise, to rent a place to use your power tools, outside of your condo.  Not sure if an explanation is really needed, but I'm believing someone else will chime in and tell you and a more factual way.  
    Or...use the tools when your neighbors are gone...IOW rearrange your schedule.  Sound isolation doesn't come cheap, nor use any of the items you listed above.  

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Help me soundblock for free!! 2014/04/02 23:56:32 (permalink)
    I'm with mixmkr on this.
    Unless you can isolate all six surfaces of the room, it will be a waste of time. It's not something you can do partway.
    Even then, you would only see modest improvement.
    Face it, power tools are just plain loud. I can easily identify what tool someone is using from a block away.
    On a side note, you are using ear protection, right?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Help me soundblock for free!! 2014/04/03 02:30:21 (permalink)
    Unfortunately the gents above are right.
    Anyway, if you decide to try how far you can get with the job, my guess is that  the "particle board" you mentioned, if that is what I know as "chipwood", is your best bet. Forget  styrofoam. 
    Layers of chipwood (or plaster plates) with maybe cardboard or rock wool between them, if you can get your hands on it? Tightly assembled, floor, ceiling, walls, as the noise finds the smallest holes. 
    If you can build the structures thick enough, at least 6-8 inches, it will do something, but if it's enough...I can't tell.
    With 8-10 inches of this chipwood and other stuff all around you may face some issues with electric or fire safety regulations, too, and perhaps you even need to count the sheer weight or the structures to avoid very unpleasant surprises.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1