Help! (please) with Home Studio 4 Installation

Author
birdseye
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/08/09 09:38:05 (permalink)

Help! (please) with Home Studio 4 Installation

Hi, I'm an old timer and new to Computer-based recording. I own a VPR Matrix lap top with plenty of processing power. I also own a Tascam DP 01FX, but I purchased Home Studio 4 XL with the thought I could export tracks from the DP 01 to HS4, tweak them as needed, then burn my own CDs, using HS4. My problem however, is that when I try to install HS4 to my lap top and I get the message to install disc 2, I must leave the install program in order to eject disc 1. In order to do that, I have to click OK in the HS4 dialogue box, and that seems to stop the install process. Then, when I insert disc 2, I can't get the install program to begin again. I've looked for a hot key that would allow me to simply eject the CD but alas, the only way I can do it is to close the installation program, right click on the CD drive and eject. Thus, the installation program simply stops running and I don't know what to do to get it started again. As a result, I've only got disc 1 installed. Anyone want to help out an old guitar player, singer/ songwriter?

4 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Help! (please) with Home Studio 4 Installation 2005/08/09 10:01:56 (permalink)
    I must leave the install program in order to eject disc 1

Why? Don't you have an eject button on the CD drive that ejects the disc tray so you can unload and reload it?

Even if you don't (which is unprecedented in my experience) all you have to do is hit ALT-TAB to switch to another window or press the Windows key of you have one to get to the start menu. Windows is a multi-tasking operating system.

Addendum:
    OK. I looked up the VPR notebooks. Depending on what model you have, according to the manual for one model: "To eject the disc, press the audio control button twice."

post edited by daveny5 - 2005/08/09 10:15:35

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    birdseye
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Help! (please) with Home Studio 4 Installation 2005/08/09 10:52:47 (permalink)
    Thank you so much! I'm trying to be 95% musician and 5% geek. Anymore than 5% geek and I find all inspirational juice just pours out like a three-year-old tipping over a glass of water. Yet I'm smart enough to see the potential of this technology, and I view it as a means to realize a forty-five year old dream (I'm fifty-three) of cutting records without having much money. I admit being both excited and scared. Excited because for the first time in my life, I'm recording music, and scared because I'm heading down a path where I'm bound to find out if forty-five years of guitar playing and songwriting has resulted in the possession of any reasonable degree of musical skill. I've resisted knowing for so long because I felt I'd rather not know if I sucked, and I didn't want to take the chance that having that knowledge of sucking at what I love so much, would somehow diminish my desire to keep doing it. I'm feeling so mortal now however, that I've got to give it a shot! (providing I can overcome the learning curves....) Anyway, thanks again! (And you can send me a bill for the therapy....)
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Help! (please) with Home Studio 4 Installation 2005/08/09 23:27:26 (permalink)
    Well, you're a glutton for punishment because if you're going to use a computer to record music, you need to know both how to use a computer very well and how to play and record music.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Help! (please) with Home Studio 4 Installation 2005/08/10 00:27:56 (permalink)
    ...scared because I'm heading down a path where I'm bound to find out if forty-five years of guitar playing and songwriting has resulted in the possession of any reasonable degree of musical skill...

You should be more "scared" of finding out that you're getting into something that can become an obsessive, and expensive, habit!

Good luck to you!

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1