Help recording from Clavinova

Author
npsny
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2004/08/02 09:00:06 (permalink)

Help recording from Clavinova

I have a Yamaha Clavinova, and I'm trying to record using an Audiophile USB. But even with the output levels all the way down, the recording meter goes off the scale and distorts like crazy. I can't seem to control the input volume at all. How do I reduce the input volume?
< Message edited by npsny -- 8/2/2004 9:01:12 AM >

13 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/02 09:48:58 (permalink)
    What output are you using from the Clavinova. Should be using a Line Out or Out, but not a headphone or speaker output.

What input are you using on the Audiophile? Should be a Line In.

Check the Audiophile properties on Control Panel.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    npsny
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/03 22:50:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the message. I'm using Aux out on the Clavinova, and Input In (R and L) on the Audiophile.

What should I be looking for in the Audiophile properties in Control Panel?

Thanks so much for the help, I really want to get this thing working. (My grandmother is waiting for me to burn a CD of my classical piano so she can show off for the other ladies in the nursing home -- seriously.)
    daveny5
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/04 08:34:25 (permalink)
    Is that a fixed aux out or a variable aux out? Check your Clavinova to see. You want the one that gives you a line level output. Sounds like you're sending an amplified signal to your soundcard and you're overdriving it. That's why its distorting.

What should I be looking for in the Audiophile properties in Control Panel?
    Check the levels. Also do you have it set for -10 or +4 dB. I'm not sure what in the Audiophile control panel since I don't have one.

Your mother sounds like my mother.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    npsny
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 00:33:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for trying but i'm about ready to give out. It is a variable output (the clavinova book says the Line Out volume is controlled by the external device, not the clavinova, which is what I assume you meant). The Audiophile control panel doesn't have the control you were referring to, it just gives a bunch of options regarding "latency," without explaining what that is. And when I plugged everything in tonight, i couldn't get any input signal at all (which is better or worse than overdriving my sound card? I don't know). So I guess it's off to technical support and/or the store to return the software if I can.

thanks again for trying.
    daveny5
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 08:11:09 (permalink)
    You give up that easy, huh? Then I suggest you go buy a little cassette recorder because any computer recording software is going to have the same problem because the problem is the signal you are sending is too hot.

It is a variable output (the clavinova book says the Line Out volume is controlled by the external device, not the clavinova, which is what I assume you meant

How would an external device control the Line Out volume of the Clavinova? I think you read that wrong. And if you have a line out, why don't you use that instead of the aux out. What model Clavinova do you have?

Dave
    npsny
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 08:40:35 (permalink)
    OK, point well taken. I won't give up. But what's my next step? Should I try uninstalling HS and starting again? That way I could keep track of the various error messages I remember getting along the way (e.g., something about my my audio not being supported by my drivers, or the other way around). Maybe that could help me fix my inability to hear any playback on my PC speakers, although I'm guessing t wouldn't solve the too-hot-signal problem.

What do you think?
    daveny5
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 10:50:54 (permalink)
    What model of Clavinova do you have? Yamaha has the manuals online and I'd like to take a look at one. I don't think you need to re-install. The problem is not Home Studio. It has to do with your hardware configuration or your connection to the Clavinova.

Dave
    npsny
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 17:32:31 (permalink)
    Clavinova CLP-920 and Audiophile M-Audio USB. The Clavinova outputs are: AUX Out (R and L/R), which are plugged into my Audiophile Line in R and L. The Clavinova also has Aux in, To Host, Midi (Thru, Out, In) that I'm not using. The Host Select switch is set at PC1 (other options are Midi, Mac and PC-2). My computer is running Windows XP.

Thanks for keeping me motivated; if we finally get this working I'll send you a copy of the disk I'm going to burn (assuming you like Mozart, Brahms and Bach).
    daveny5
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 19:45:17 (permalink)
    OK. You definitely want to use the Aux Outputs of the Clavinova. Now what kind of cables are you using? Are you using one cable or two? Any adapters?

Have you tried running the M-Audio Delta Control Panel? There are faders on the that panel that you can use to lower the input volume.

Also, run the Home Studio Wave Profiler (Options-Audio-General). That will setup Home Studio for the Audiophile card.

Dave
    npsny
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/05 23:29:14 (permalink)
    2 cables, the kind they gave me in the store (Monster), no adapters.

Is the "delta" control panel just the Audiophile USB Control Panel, or something different. The latter doesn't have faders, but shows the following info: Analog Input, Analog Output, S/PDIF Output all selected, S/PDIF Input not selected. (Is it significant that in Options/Audio/Advanced, driver mode is Use Default, and not ASIO (Control Panel says ASIO Driver Version 1.0.0.5). Also Share Drivers With Other Programs is not selected; should it be?) Sample Depth is 16 bit, Latency is Low (options range from Very Low to Low to Medium to High to Very High).

I ran the Wave Profiler, it didn't appear to change anything.

Please note that although my computer is picking up the Audiophile, I'm now getting no signal out of the Clavinova. (This is in addition to my continued inability to hear anything, even the Home Studio sample tracks.) When I follow the Home Studio instructions for recording digital audio, and I get to the step of opening the In field in the track, it just says "None" and I can't open it. The other day I was able to open it and find the Audiophile, now it's disappeared.
    daveny5
    RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2004/08/06 08:25:01 (permalink)
    The M-Audio Delta Control Panel is documented in the Audiophile's manual. You should consult that.

Please note that although my computer is picking up the Audiophile, I'm now getting no signal out of the Clavinova. (This is in addition to my continued inability to hear anything, even the Home Studio sample tracks.) When I follow the Home Studio instructions for recording digital audio, and I get to the step of opening the In field in the track, it just says "None" and I can't open it. The other day I was able to open it and find the Audiophile, now it's disappeared.

There are MIDI tracks and Audio tracks. Don't confuse the two. They are not the same. If you're not hearing MIDI tracks, then check Options-MIDI Devices. If you're not hearing audio tracks, then check Options-Audio.

When you say you're not getting signal out of the Clavinova, do you mean an audio signal or a MIDI signal? Does it play through its own speakers?

You're making this MUCH harder than it should be.

Dave
    brianradomski
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2012/09/08 10:33:59 (permalink)
    HELLO  and  I apologise  for  cutting  in  I  just  joined  with  a  similar  problem  I've  lost  a  full week  of getting  my  keyboard  to  record...."I'm  56  yrs  I know  OLD  technology   is  this  keyboard  (my  yamaha  clavinova) clashing  with  my  old  tech  knowledge???    I have  done  this  15  years  ago  want  to  do  it  again  now:  plug  a  dubbing  cable  into  the  headphone  jack  of  the  yamaha   keyboard,  send  the  dubbing  cable  INTO  the  input  of  a  recording  means:  old  VCR,   a radio cassette  player,  SO  THAT  THE  VCR  OR  CASSETTE  will  record    THEN  send  the  signal  to  my  amplifier  and  speakers  I  can  hear  it!   ONCE  done   connect  the  VCR  OR  cassette   to  my  computor  to post  the  tune  on  either  facebook  OR   you  tube  BUT  so  far  nothing  will  work! really frustrated
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: RE: Help recording from Clavinova 2012/09/08 10:55:38 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't think you're cutting in on anyone, since you're the first to post in this thread in over 8 years.
    So, you're plugging the keyboard's audio output into... something to record it, then plugging that into your sound card to record it into... whatever program you're using?
    I think you should skip the step of recording onto something else first, and just plug the keyboard into your sound card/audio interface. You'll get less noise in the track.
    Did you select the correct input in your recording software (which is?)
    Did you arm the track for recording and set the recording level? Then click the Record button?
    Please describe all the steps you are taking to record.
    Some more information will help, too; what version of Cakewalk software are you using?
    What's your computer's operating system and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
    What sound card or audio interface are you using?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1